recommend a commuter light

i recently replaced a AAA-powered front led light with a rattly mount that i hated listening to

replacement was a light & motion urban 500

it worked great for about 1.5mo...now it won't recharge. Did i just get a bad unit? I'm gonna return it. If they replace it, I'll try that for a month. But I'm kinda over it if it fails this quickly...

what do you use & love for road riding?

i'm interested in a "Be Seen" light, not a "Light Up the Night" light

recommend a commuter light

I’d say you got a dud urban.
    Replace under warranty and try it again.
    I’ve got a few and they’ve been great.

I just use these.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5061-9...tle-Rear-Light

They are practically disposable. I leave them on my key chain and hook them on my bike for rides. The only time i replace them is when I've forgotten to remove them from my bike when parked and someone steals them. Purpose is to be seen and mainly not to get hassled by cops when night biking.

They have usually been lost/stolen before having to replaced because of a dead battery.

Not sure why you would need anything more intensive than this for just being seen, although I'm city biking and not highway biking.

6 dollah CDN
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    I just use these.

They are practically disposable. I leave them on my key chain and hook them on my bike for rides. The only time i replace them is when I've forgotten to remove them from my bike when parked and someone steals them. Purpose is to be seen and mainly not to get hassled by cops when night biking.

They have usually been lost/stolen before having to replaced because of a dead battery.

Not sure why you would need anything more intensive than this for just being seen, although I'm city biking and not highway biking.

6 dollah CDN

unfortunately not really powerful enough

being seen in sun/shadow/sun/shadow or end/beginning of day sun-in-the-eyes requires a certain level of intensity versus just being seen in nighttime conditions

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I’d say you got a dud urban.
    Replace under warranty and try it again.
    I’ve got a few and they’ve been great.
    good to hear someone likes them
    thx, gives me some hope

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I've had good luck with the USB chargeable Cygolights, after modding the mount slides with a little masking tape to get rid of the rattle. One of the modes is a soft but rapid flutter pulse on top of a consistent beam, which to me seems easy to see in daylight. For the rear, super super happy with the Gemini Iris. really solid construction, weather sealing. only ding I give it is the port bays are a little flimsy. I also have a front bar mount from them I use for the Dark Months, very solid as well.

I've been using this light by Portland Design works for a few years for MTB. USB recharge, decent run time on lower power setting, fairly light, fair price. Can mount on handlebar or helmet. Lower setting is probably 250-300 lumens which is enough for climbing or flat-ish singletrack. High power is 700 lumens and plenty bright for descending. I would buy this light again.

https://ridepdw.com/collections/head...11889006673977

thx for the reccos & ideas all

whelp, i'm either a moron or the light maybe needs a different mechanism/process to "lock" it

maybe both...or i just needed to learn this

apparently the light can be "locked" so that you can store it in a bag without it inadvertently turning on if it gets bumped
    it flashes red at you when it's locked and you try to turn it on
    i took that to mean it was dead

turn off: press & hold for 1sec
    lock is: press & hold for 4secs

i think i took it off the charger; lit it up to test; then turned it off & locked it unknowingly

ah, well...live and learn
    thanks for listening
    /blog

6 bucks? your bike didn't come with reflectors?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I just use these.

6 dollah CDN
    Have you tried wearing them as opposed to hanging them on the bike ? if you regularly use a pack one on the front one on the back will also be higher & more visable or on the helmet ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Have you tried wearing them as opposed to hanging them on the bike ? if you regularly use a pack one on the front one on the back will also be higher & more visable or on the helmet ??
    yeah its a good option! Had my ones last year clipped to beaners that i would just attached to clothing etc. super easy. lost all them though haha. gotta re-up. Hoping to be able to finally transition into winter city biking this year so i can keep track of bike gear year round.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    6 bucks? your bike didn't come with reflectors?
    It did (as opposed to my previous beater). The 6$ jobs are a step up from reflectors, but not as effective as what OP is looking for.
    27° 18°