Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for other maggot slum lords or smokers

I have a rental that is vacant and have a group interested. Very strict no smoking on premise/pet policy but the group of 4, potentially 5 are smokers. Very clearly heavy smokers, I could smell them from 10 feet away. Is this enough of a red flag to pass on them ? I don't think it's realistic that they won't smoke on the property. Would the cigarette smell from all their clothing imbed into the house ? I know plenty of smokers that I would rent to in a heart beat but these guys clearly burn smokes heavily from the smell.

100% pass on them. My mil is a heavy smoker. Our house reeks for week after she leaves. And she’s smokes outside. Her coat smells super bad.

Be nice, but firm.
    Just say “FUCK OFF”.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    100% pass on them. My mil is a heavy smoker. Our house reeks for week after she leaves. And she’s smokes outside. Her coat smells super bad.
    That's my big fear. This is coming from a guy who enjoyed his share of cigs back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    That's my big fear. This is coming from a guy who enjoyed his share of cigs back in the day.
    Your answer looks pretty clear.

You think your slum tenement is better than others?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    You think your slum tenement is better than others?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They did have adult children living with them that prefer boiled steaks so they could be your doppelganger ?

Right? What if they also boil beef?
    I still call it The Jake.

Guys as in men room mates? Not a chance as they are always pigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If someone smokes one cigarette a day it is probably not that big of a deal. Obviously very few smokers smoke that little. If people are smoking one in the morning before work, then several in the evening after work, well that is an issue. Their clothes will reek, and even if they are ten feet away it is going to be a problem. If you have several people living at the same residence the problem is compounded.

I don't know details about the unit you are renting, but if you own any units nearby you may piss off your other tenants. I stopped smoking weed consistently many years ago, but living next to most weed smokers is not a big deal, because they simply don't produce that much smoke. A couple of pipe or bong hits float away, and then it is gone. In the case of cigarette smokers, they tend to smoke a whole lot more. We have a home with a bit more space now, but eight years ago when we lived in a town home we used to dread living next to a smoker. If you have tenants that you like who are next to this unit you will really piss them off if they have to smell smoke every morning and every evening and all day on weekends. Smokers really pollute the air around them. Like I said, if they smoked one cigarette a day that would be different, but they will probably reduce the quality of living for people around them, unless it is an unattached home on a sizeable lot.

Smoking is a serious habit. Most that I have seen produce a whole lot of smoke, and you are correct that it is unrealistic to think that they won't smoke on the property. And yes, the smoke will linger in their clothes and contaminate the house. There is a restaurant in Newport Beach that I get takeout from occasionally. I would often get it on a Friday evening. Down the sidewalk from this place is a narcotics anonymous meeting place, on Friday evenings at 7 a meeting would get out, often right when I would pick-up dinner. I would have to walk through clouds of smoke, it was really annoying. I realize these people have had difficulties, but that does not excuse the fact that they commandeered the sidewalk and produced copious amounts of smoke and bothered everyone around them. Eventually they stopped smoking after meetings, I think some of the local businesses spoke out about it. I complained to the restaurant and they knew what I was talking about, I guess other people had too.

I almost never see people smoking cigarettes in Newport Beach. I occasionally see people vaping, I guess that is the new thing now. I don't really understand smoking cigarettes in this day and age. I guess it is just an addiction, something that becomes a habit. I don't think may people actually WANT to smoke past age 20. Honestly I finished college 20 years ago and I don't know of any of my friends who smoked in college who still smoke, cigarettes that is.

Do you have other options for the property? How is the rental market where you are right now? If you can't find other good tenants you might have to take these guys, but if you have other options I would put these guys down on the list. I am not saying they are bad people, they might be good tenants in other ways, but the smell will eventually seep into the home.

I would also add that the question of bothering the neighbors, who might or might not be your tenants, depends on the area. Where we live smoking is so uncommon that it is going to bother most people who live close. If smoking is common where you are, or in this community, it might not be as big of a deal. Put it this way, let's say you own 4 units in a complex and those units are close to each other, putting heavy smokers in one unit might limit your ability to rent the other units. If the home is on some land this is not an issue.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Pass. Or ask a painter how much to paint the entire apartment after a full clean, and pre charge them for the amount.

There has always been at least one of my basement tennants for the last 7 years who have smoked, sometimes there were heavy smokers with smoker friends who hung out, but smoking was always out side.

After they go out for a dart I can't say i notice it for very long maybe 15min and I never smell smoke upstairs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Smoking often leads to other vices like drinking and general debauchery. I have a neighbor two houses away who's a smoker and I've long suspected her morals are questionable. This group sounds like they're likely fall asleep drunk in bed with a lit cigarette and burn the place down.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Smoking often leads to other vices like drinking and general debauchery. I have a neighbor two houses away who's a smoker and I've long suspected her morals are questionable. This group sounds like they're likely fall asleep drunk in bed with a lit cigarette and burn the place down.
    It leads to meth as well.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It leads to meth as well.
    This checks out.
    I still call it The Jake.

IME Smokers seem to accept that they can't smoke inside so they need to go outside, that hasn't been an issue for many years, I think even homeowners will not smoke inside their own home

I sometimes hear my downstairs tennant get up at 5 am to go out for a few quick breaths of fresh (ish) air which is no biggy but if yer at all worried just say yer only renting to non-smokerers

the boozer with questionable morals is probably the upstairs occupant
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

water is wet
    don't rent to smokers
    the end
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

This?
    Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    water is wet
    don't rent to smokers
    the end
    or this? New handle is Phil E. Buster

If someone smokes one cigarette a day it is probably not that big of a deal. Obviously very few smokers smoke that little. If people are smoking one in the morning before work, then several in the evening after work, well that is an issue. Their clothes will reek, and even if they are ten feet away it is going to be a problem. If you have several people living at the same residence the problem is compounded.

I don't know details about the unit you are renting, but if you own any units nearby you may piss off your other tenants. I stopped smoking weed consistently many years ago, but living next to most weed smokers is not a big deal, because they simply don't produce that much smoke. A couple of pipe or bong hits float away, and then it is gone. In the case of cigarette smokers, they tend to smoke a whole lot more. We have a home with a bit more space now, but eight years ago when we lived in a town home we used to dread living next to a smoker. If you have tenants that you like who are next to this unit you will really piss them off if they have to smell smoke every morning and every evening and all day on weekends. Smokers really pollute the air around them. Like I said, if they smoked one cigarette a day that would be different, but they will probably reduce the quality of living for people around them, unless it is an unattached home on a sizeable lot.

Smoking is a serious habit. Most that I have seen produce a whole lot of smoke, and you are correct that it is unrealistic to think that they won't smoke on the property. And yes, the smoke will linger in their clothes and contaminate the house. There is a restaurant in Newport Beach that I get takeout from occasionally. I would often get it on a Friday evening. Down the sidewalk from this place is a narcotics anonymous meeting place, on Friday evenings at 7 a meeting would get out, often right when I would pick-up dinner. I would have to walk through clouds of smoke, it was really annoying. I realize these people have had difficulties, but that does not excuse the fact that they commandeered the sidewalk and produced copious amounts of smoke and bothered everyone around them. Eventually they stopped smoking after meetings, I think some of the local businesses spoke out about it. I complained to the restaurant and they knew what I was talking about, I guess other people had too.

I almost never see people smoking cigarettes in Newport Beach. I occasionally see people vaping, I guess that is the new thing now. I don't really understand smoking cigarettes in this day and age. I guess it is just an addiction, something that becomes a habit. I don't think may people actually WANT to smoke past age 20. Honestly I finished college 20 years ago and I don't know of any of my friends who smoked in college who still smoke, cigarettes that is.

Do you have other options for the property? How is the rental market where you are right now? If you can't find other good tenants you might have to take these guys, but if you have other options I would put these guys down on the list. I am not saying they are bad people, they might be good tenants in other ways, but the smell will eventually seep into the home.

I would also add that the question of bothering the neighbors, who might or might not be your tenants, depends on the area. Where we live smoking is so uncommon that it is going to bother most people who live close. If smoking is common where you are, or in this community, it might not be as big of a deal. Put it this way, let's say you own 4 units in a complex and those units are close to each other, putting heavy smokers in one unit might limit your ability to rent the other units. If the home is on some land this is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Pass. Or ask a painter how much to paint the entire apartment after a full clean, and pre charge them for the amount.
    We looked at a house that was a year old, owned by a smoker. They re-painted, cleaned the ductwork, recarpeted, hung new window "treatments", and it still stunk - bad.

OP - Stick to your policy

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Kilz or Bin will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Kilz or Bin will be needed.
    Yup, our home had nicotine stained walls at move in. I had to scrub with TSP and then prime with Killz. Tore up all the carpet, refinished all the floors and started from scratch to get the stink outta here. I have tried men (straight guys) room mates twice before as tenants. Fucking disasters when they moved out. I only rent to gay guys, a straight couple or a single woman (no dikes, as they are filthy animals too)
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    water is wet
    don't rent to smokers
    the end
    There is no beginning. There is no end. Water is not wet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyqOSUlR2A

Nuke from orbit, behead the remains.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    (no dikes, as they are filthy animals too)
    Name:  IMG_1792.JPG
Views: 1801
Size:  30.9 KB
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I wouldn't rent to smokers, but in truth, you really have no control over tenants. I have a no smoking policy, as does my entire building. This does not stop people from smoking. I can't tell you how many times I have had to clean cigarette butts off of my patio and balcony. Once, someone left the unit with a plastic bag covering the smoke detector. They even used duct tape to secure it.
    Just to show how far tenants will go, this year I had a 30 day non-refundable policy. Someone booked about 15 days out, so at the time of booking they charged the full cost to their credit card. Their stay was in mid-January, and it was a 5 night rental. On the day before they were to check out, I e-mailed, inquired whether they were enjoying their stay, and asked whether they needed a late check out. They replied by stating that they missed their flight and did not make the trip. Five days ago, VRBO notified me that they charged back the money on their credit card, and that the funds would be debited from my bank account. Nothing to do with smoking, but I just felt like venting about what nozzles renters can be.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix