The Class Action thread re: EPIC and IKON

Sure, we have individual IKON and EPIC threads, but I thought that I would start a thread that keeps us informed of all class action news. Here is an interesting and informative article that showed up in today's feed;

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/...avirus/237968/
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 04-23-2020 at 06:02 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The lawyers smell blood in the water in regard to tons of issues related to the virus. In our town some d-bag is suing the golf course for re-opening. Nobody has gotten sick or anything, he just doesn't like the fact that they opened, so he's suing. But what if somebody DID get sick. Is there a liability issue? Because if there is, then there's no end to the potential for lawsuits here. What we need, IMO, is a federal law limiting liability unless there is some sort of gross negligence demonstrated. If you have a business and you're legally open, and somebody gets the virus at your business, you are not liable for that. Same goes for schools, nursing homes, whatever. If we start suing over this bullshit there's no end to it.

As far as these Ikon and Epic lawsuits go, I hope they get dismissed. Nobody who purchased a pass ever got any sort of guaranteed opening and closing dates. Fuck 'em.

Yes exactly on the opening & closing dates. If there wasn’t enough snow to operate, similar deal.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Class Action thread re: EPIC and IKON

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The lawyers smell blood in the water in regard to tons of issues related to the virus. In our town some d-bag is suing the golf course for re-opening. Nobody has gotten sick or anything, he just doesn't like the fact that they opened, so he's suing. But what if somebody DID get sick. Is there a liability issue? Because if there is, then there's no end to the potential for lawsuits here. What we need, IMO, is a federal law limiting liability unless there is some sort of gross negligence demonstrated. If you have a business and you're legally open, and somebody gets the virus at your business, you are not liable for that. Same goes for schools, nursing homes, whatever. If we start suing over this bullshit there's no end to it.

As far as these Ikon and Epic lawsuits go, I hope they get dismissed. Nobody who purchased a pass ever got any sort of guaranteed opening and closing dates. Fuck 'em.
    This is why I don’t think schools will reopen next fall, unless this is gone. Why would any school district or private school open with the risk of causing on outbreak and having people then sue?

Fuck, the same may happen sooner if a business decides to open, not provide adequate CV protection (distancing, cleaning, etc) and an outbreak occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This is why I don’t think schools will reopen next fall, unless this is gone. Why would any school district or private school open with the risk of causing on outbreak and having people then sue?

Fuck, the same may happen sooner if a business decides to open, not provide adequate CV protection (distancing, cleaning, etc) and an outbreak occurs.
    Absolutely true. There needs to be some sort of legal protection against those corona lawsuits or we're all fucked for real.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Absolutely true. There needs to be some sort of legal protection against those corona lawsuits or we're all fucked for real.
    Probably the best protection is to figure out a way to operate without killing off your employees and/or customers. Either that or just stay shut and coast until there's a vaccine.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

The republitards are already chomping at the bit to open things up. Fake news etc. we’re going to be right back to where we started in month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Local radio has a local bloodsucking lawyer asking if you got covid at work you deserve millions.
    . . .

Our breakeven on these passes is what, 7 days or so? C'mon.... You got what you paid for and then some.

It's one thing to expect refunds from services not received due to the closures..... But to attempt to profit off of them, now that's just wrong

IKON has been fair, reasonable and even generous with the $200 discount for renewals. EPIC...not so much, but they said that they would update by the end of April.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The first $100 was the typical teaser, so that doesn't count as vivid dollars. The second does, but without some real insurance is still questionable. Thwir decide by 12/10 is bullshit..

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Mo better bickering

Just saw this today, interesting engineering but looks frightening like a rickety carnival ride.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    when can I haz reparation's for wage slaving the epic and icon masses gear?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Vail Resorts giving 20% credit towards next year's pass, and up to 80% credit for those who used between 0-5 days this season.

https://www.epicpass.com/info/letter...s-holders.aspx

I have a feeling that this action will die out without consequence.

1. Fuck any article that talks about lawsuits but doesn't link the complaint.

2. Both of these are going to be dismissed right out of the gate.

what would be the basis for the suit (class action or otherwise)? Is there some contractual difference between closure because of low snow and closure because of a public health crisis/government order, such that you have an implied or explicit contractual right to not have them close because of government orders?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see it, and don't know why a lawyer would take this case. Only thing I can think of is bottom feeders hoping to settle for nuisance dollars (and the actual plaintiffs will never see a dime in that event, or more accurately, might see a dime and nothing more).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I can think of a few claims (breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing) but I don't care enough to get on PACER and pull the complaint.

Here is the Alterra Complaint: https://www.classaction.org/news/alt...ss-action-says

Here is the lawsuit against Vail (EPIC): https://milberg.com/wp-content/uploa...an-v.-Vail.pdf

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...021-season.htm

not bad really... when they could have chosen to do nothing at all...

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I can think of a few claims (breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing) but I don't care enough to get on PACER and pull the complaint.
    well this is as far from my area of expertise as it gets, but that seems a tough thing to prove given the circumstances.

But I'm just a dentist, so....
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Here is the Alterra Complaint: https://www.classaction.org/news/alt...ss-action-says

Here is the lawsuit against Vail (EPIC): https://milberg.com/wp-content/uploa...an-v.-Vail.pdf
    Breach of contract
    Unjust enrichment
    Conversion?

The vail complaint is more professional, and yet their exhibit A is the back of the epic pass, which specifically says “no refunds if used”

I fucking hate lawyers. At least dentists do something useful.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Mo better bickering

Just saw this today, interesting engineering but looks frightening like a rickety carnival ride.

A year or 2 later they improved the road to T-Line. It was way faster driving. And surprise, it wasn't good in the wind either

Conversion seem specious at best

North of South, South of North, West of East
    People that sue ski areas should be shot.-Scott Schmidt, Blizzard of Aaaahs, 1988

Seems like this falls into the same category.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.