Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going with a softer boot? dropping from 130 down to 120 flex

Can get a deal on a 120 in my size and last. My last 3 boots have been 130.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Can get a deal on a 120 in my size and last. My last 3 boots have been 130.
    Wait a couple months, you won't have a problem getting a deal on a 130. You'll get a great deal on a whole ski shop if you want.

Without knowing the specific boots, this question isn't really answerable.
    The main difference other than color may only be the powerstrap or liner, which many people replace anyway. If they're 2 completely different boots, it's not really comparable the way you are asking anyway due to the differences in fit/flex between models and their constructions.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

same line Technica Mach 1 LV , 130 vs 120
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

As the keystone of your gear set-up, I'd question going to a softer boot because it's cheap.

If you needed more flex, then prolly; Otherwise you'll likely suffer for it. And todays boots aren't the same as they once were. A 130 used to be a bitch to ski in, now it's a 150.
    My Lange rx130's feel like 110's warm and 120 cold. Only occasionally do I want them racy stiff and I can just crank them to uncomfortable to make me believe I'm there...

And there seem to be some deals over on the gear swap thread right now.

That's just one bum's opinion.

You are considering this to save money, or because you think you want a softer boot?

I have the same boot as you in a 120 flex. I weigh 160 and it is very responsive and has a very even flex. I didn’t get to ski this spring so no warm weather review but buying a boot that your to lite or not strong enough to flex is not a good choice

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    You are considering this to save money, or because you think you want a softer boot?
    can't find my size in LV/130 which I would buy , its just pondering a maybe to save money, no rush as only one year on my current boots

I'd imagine that you you are in a Tecnica 130 and go down to a 120 with say Power Wraps, you wouldn't even notice a difference.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Are they even that different?
    I've been wondering why so many companies are making 130 and 120 boots. Figured it had more to do with features than outright flex. And yeah, swapping to an Intuition Powerwrap probably bounces one of the biggest possible feature differences.
    No longer stuck.

And you've been happy in the Mach 1 LV 130?

Legitimate reasons to go to the 120 might be: You've lost weight. Your skiing preferences or habits have changed. You are spending more time skiing with kids/wife/teaching. You only plan to ski mellow powder from here on. You get the drift.

Saving $100 probably isn't one of them. Assuming northern Italy makes it through the COVID-19 crisis, they will build more LV 130's.

PS Not sure if they have your size, but evo's price on the LV 120 is only $70 cheaper than the LV 130 at the moment . . .

Keep in mind for many boot manufacturers there is a big difference in 130 vs 120 boots. 130s have better shells, liners, tongues, power straps. I haven't skied in Technica for a while so not sure about that brand.

It's starting to make sense now...at 5'10" and between 205-220lbs,( depending upon my Autumn berries and general fattening for winter )The rx 130 is gonna feel softer to me than lotsa lighter mags.

Yeah, I'd hold tight for deals on the ideal boot for you. There's a ton more hanging in shops right now than in a usual summer. When things loosen up, I'd bet on a flood of gear.

Like Djongo says, shitload of gear watching dust settle on it right now.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Keep in mind for many boot manufacturers there is a big difference in 130 vs 120 boots. 130s have better shells, liners, tongues, power straps. I haven't skied in Technica for a while so not sure about that brand.
    Are Tecnicas even made in Italy anymore?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    ..... no rush as only one year on my current boots
    So ....? You're a hoarder? Or just COV-19 panic buying?

Actually, I do this very thing: find a good, near-perfect boot, buy at least one (2 is probably better, cuz perfect boots are perfect) extra. Especially if it's taken you years, if not decades, to find said boot.

Are Tecnicas even made in Italy anymore?
    Sure. Giavera del Montello, east of Montebelluna.

Cool!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So ....? You're a hoarder? Or just COV-19 panic buying?

Actually, I do this very thing: find a good, near-perfect boot, buy at least one (2 is probably better, cuz perfect boots are perfect) extra. Especially if it's taken you years, if not decades, to find said boot.
    about that, get a boot, ski it, like it and then next year try to find same boot or year after model on sale. Or equal , couldn't find my Lange banshee in size so got Rossi squad 130 form same model year. Only details were different.

I'm about 230 lbs, could stand to lose 20, and bought a 120 Flex Technica because I needed a wide last (106) and that was the stiffest wide boot they made

It's generally fine. The only time I feel it's too soft is when I'm trying to drive race skis on the groomers. And they can be a bit soft in the spring.

Everywhere else it's a non issue, and probably preferred when skiing off piste.

All things being equal I'd prefer a stiffer boot, but it's not like 120 is a noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    . . . bought a 120 Flex Technica because I needed a wide last (106) and that was the stiffest wide boot they made . . .
    Tecnica's replaced the Ten.2 HVL with the Mach 1 HV and it's available in a 130. Atomic has the Hawx Magna 130. Neither is a stated 106mm last, but both have tons of volume and can easily be made 106mm in the forefoot. Rossi Track 130 is also huge.

yeah, probably not a good idea, could go Cochise which only a 1mm more last or the MV but I can wait, I've got two years as only have 50 days on my boots . Just mussing as was looking at some skis.

I skied 120 flex boots for a bunch of years and then got a screaming deal on a pair of Cochise 130s, with the idea that I might like to ski them(if Mntion could make them wide enough) when it was warm out. Turns out I prefer the 130 over the 120, and am only going to ski the 120 when it’s really cold out.
    But I get where you’re coming from, I keep watching for another pair of cheap Cochise Pros to hide away for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Ok , how about not as a future replacement but a quiver? Still going to put on 200 days on a pair of boots so my current Mach 1 130s will just last longer. How about getting a pair of Cochise 130 , abit softer , abit lighter and has a walk mode, for those days when going to do some hikes?