Maggots helping maggots: rat flu edition

I posted this in the rat flu thread, but it should be its own thread.

I know that everyone here is a wealthy dentist just waiting to get people back in the chair of pain, but the rat flu has fucked us all, and some more than others. So, on the off chance that someone is really hurting and could use assistance...

This community has always stepped up to help people in time of need, whether its with replacement gear after shit got stolen, contributing money after a house fire, whatever. I don't know how this should work, I don't even know if there is anyone feeling the pinch strongly enough to ask for help when everyone is struggling some, but I at least think there should be a discussion of whether and how we should set up our own maggot safety net.

If y'all think this is a bad idea in the abstract, well then, the thread will die its quiet death and that will be the end of it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I like the gift card idea - people buy and then donate gift cards for places Shaw's, Wal-Mart, Wegmans, Hannafords etc and then people can make a request if they have a need.

Thinking that anonymity is pretty key - requesting help is hard to do and exponentially harder publically, so if there is interest, someone will need to quarterback it by PMs if this idea is something that other people think is a good idea.

Yup.
    Particularly for ski bums.
    Normies cant understand why you would quit your job for a winter of skiing.

Now you’re ready to work. And there ain’t none.
    And no unemployment.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Thinking that anonymity is pretty key - requesting help is hard to do and exponentially harder publically, so if there is interest, someone will need to quarterback it by PMs if this idea is something that other people think is a good idea.
    had the same thought
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I like the idea of a Karma Endowment where tokens get deposited to an account voluntarily if someone did you right or like a swear jar if you got called out for being an extreme ass.

Distribution and keeping it afloat will be the crux. I can't see this forum needing or wanting another committee.

I like the idea though. But see kraken.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

10% donation on gear swap sales to a fund.

Good luck on that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    10% donation on gear swap sales to a fund.

Good luck on that.
    That's 5 each side or agreed upon BTW the parties. Still less than the mag discount. Could work.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I like the gift card idea - people buy and then donate gift cards for places Shaw's, Wal-Mart, Wegmans, Hannafords etc and then people can make a request if they have a need.

Anonymity is good in both directions. There are some posters on teh TRG that may need help, that I'd rather not know I helped.

Anyone know Wordpress well? I have a very small freelance job for them.

So, since nobody really knows how to organize this, or even if it needs to be organized since we're all wealthy dentists, plus people likely would want anonymity...

Let me just say, if you need help but don't want to ask publicly, send me a PM and I will post up something and I am sure people will step up. Hope everyone is doing great and nobody needs to take us up on this, but I also hope we can take care of our own if it's needed.

Assign a committee, treasurer, and start a go fund me? Then divvy it up as needed? Sounds all proper and likely would never work here, but hey I'm 5 turkey and gingers deep at 7pm so fuck it.

Edit: getting up now to mix #6

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    much like we sent a yeti to bake in utardia
    I gots $42.0 to send a maggot to go share the sliding down snow covered slopes with other maggots
    hokey pokey stuffs
    I offered it to someone I thought had suffered thru the, I think global pandemics pretty pc, more so than most
    but that offer was politely refused so its still there
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'd kick in if this ever gets organized.

I'd also kick in to a "Send Skoog to Mecca" fund as a separate deal.

The idea here is sound but I don't think it's really going to work out, so instead I'd like to propose a group donation to world Central Kitchen. Jose Andres has really become an inspiring person, and his methods feed people, keep people working and help restaurants survive. To me the whole thing makes a lot of sense and I've already given them money directly but I'll kick in $100 to the pot here if people want to get behind it.

And another hundie for the Skoog-to-Mecca fund if we can get that going.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Only if it's on a Chinese junk

Which Mecca?

Skougs Mecca is the temple of the KKK.
    I hope you’re not raising money to send him there?
    . . .

Mecca, Mecca. Y'know, Mecca.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The idea here is sound but I don't think it's really going to work out, so instead I'd like to propose a group donation to world Central Kitchen. Jose Andres has really become an inspiring person, and his methods feed people, keep people working and help restaurants survive. To me the whole thing makes a lot of sense and I've already given them money directly but I'll kick in $100 to the pot here if people want to get behind it.

We kicked $100 to the local food bank to help out a little.

Here’s a different way to help mags.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ferral-network