Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 43 of 43
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I worked at a shop that sold a good volume of Volants. I hated when the sales guys sold them. They were a pain in the ass to drill compared to other skis that skied as well or better. And then they would hit something, bend them, and bring them in for warranty meaning I got to drill a second or even third set.
    Pretty much guaranteed to burn through a bit with every pair. And if you were lucky you wouldn’t break a tap off in one, fuck they sucked to drill. Back when they had the patrol version of the FX, guys were going through 3-4 pair a year, just box em up and send em back.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,581
    It seemed like you could call for an RA number without broken skis. They would just answer the phone and new pair would show up. And that bit sucked.. it had that weird bit in a bit that was a few mil shorter and the little bit broke or would need sharpened every or every other ski. Luckily never broke a tap.

    I could ski any of them and never did because I was bitter from the back shop work on them.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I was that guy that sold those. I worked in a slope side shop and we did demos as well.
    They were so silly easy to sell. “Here you go ma’am, try these out. Don’t worry about carrying them back, just have your husband put them in the car, and I’ll charge your card.” The Powerkarve and Vertex Powerkarve were like a license to print money. I sold every one I could get my hands on. For full points. No sales pricing required.
    But I also sent a lot back. We were really close with our rep(Gordie i think) and he just told us to send them back and they would replace them. No receipts, no RA, nothing. Just put them in a box and pull a pair off the wall.
    I was personally responsible for about a dozen pairs. After the third pair of McG’s I pranged, I stopped skiing on them.


    Sent from inside the house
    Did you do the pitch where you put the tail where the floor and wall met while twisting them talking about torsional rigidity? “Hey Bogner pants, while your husband is trying on boots, have you checked out how torsionally rigid these skis are...” while Mrs Esterhouse unfocused her eyes so it looked like she was interested in skis while unbeknownst to her hubby, she was checking out the ski bum girth of your thigh and maybe even your package. Women who buy Volants are cock gazers in my opinion.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Women who buy Volants are cock gazers in my opinion.
    This is the only post this thread needs
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    42
    What's so special about them that they sell so well?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    938
    Interesting where this thread has drifted. Exactly what makes Volants so sweet is exactly what they are removing in every new model of other skis, a damp smooth ride. You just can't stand on a ski and relax through the turn like with the old Volants anymore. Maybe I'm getting less focused and not wanting to pay so much attention all the time in my old age, but compared to "skiing the steel" almost all new skis seem kind of twitchy and nervous to me. Gotta spend big bucks on Stocklis, Kastles, or a few other select skis to find a truly relaxing ride, but then again not everyone wants to relax when they ski.
    Gravity Junkie

    How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Teton Village
    Posts
    2,688
    An old pair of Volants were stuck in the snow all season outside the Mangy Moose. Sure brought back memories. I was heavily conditioned seeing them all season and now the sight of stainless steel makes me think of cheese pizza.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel



    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

    Mark Twain

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Posts
    1,730
    There was someone on the late EpicSki with the username Volant Addict. And Yes I think he used to post he actually collected old, user pairs of them.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

    - Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    16,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    There was someone on the late EpicSki with the username Volant Addict. And Yes I think he used to post he actually collected old, user pairs of them.
    Didn't Rasputin here collect old Volants too? Maybe that was the same guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I was that guy that sold those. I worked in a slope side shop and we did demos as well.
    They were so silly easy to sell. “Here you go ma’am, try these out. Don’t worry about carrying them back, just have your husband put them in the car, and I’ll charge your card.” The Powerkarve and Vertex Powerkarve were like a license to print money. I sold every one I could get my hands on. For full points. No sales pricing required.
    But I also sent a lot back. We were really close with our rep(Gordie i think) and he just told us to send them back and they would replace them. No receipts, no RA, nothing. Just put them in a box and pull a pair off the wall.
    I was personally responsible for about a dozen pairs. After the third pair of McG’s I pranged, I stopped skiing on them.


    Sent from inside the house
    your rep was probably Keith?
    as mentioned a pain to mount, bent like a tree in the wind, would break if mounted more than once, couldn't tell you if they were stable or just locked into a turn until you decided to change direction
    had a cult following with the seniors alpine club in Calgary for whatever reason, i hated mounting the stupid things and ended up using a derbyflex bit for most of them
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

    rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

    www.theguideshut.ca

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    938
    About 15 years ago in Portillo ran into Chilean soldiers skiing at the area for training. The Argentina border was at the top of the pass just past the ski area and their base was at the bottom. They would load the chairs with us with automatic rifles strapped on their backs. They were all skiing on Volant Powercarves with Silveretta bindings. Guess that's where Volant dumped a lot of their stuff when they folded.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 04-22-2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

    How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,218
    Chubbs were revolutionary, the first functional all mountain fat skis, which don’t get anywhere near the credit they deserve. Going from 210cm K2 TNCs to 180cm Chubbs blew my mind. They didn’t hold up to hard use, but for a few years (94 -96) I was one of the lucky few experiencing modern ski performance (while being chided for using old man skis). The Spatula was a minor tweak by comparison, yet gets all the credit by clueless historians of skiing. These new Volants are a pretentious travesty.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    ...Volant Powercarves with Silveretta bindings...
    Throw that in the "How heavy is your touring setup?" thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I was one of the lucky few experiencing modern ski performance (while being chided for using old man skis).
    Yeah, but they were totally old man skis.

    I remember when they folded, thinking, what will all the septuagenarians ski now? (Answer: Atomic Metron Beta V)

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    T.ride
    Posts
    1,738
    My first pair of fat skis were some 193 mcHucksters that I bought off the board probably powdermag eons ago. They were definitely not old man skis, they f'n trucked, I wanna say they had like a 48m radius. Wish I would have held on to those.. gave em away one spring.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    There was someone on the late EpicSki with the username Volant Addict. And Yes I think he used to post he actually collected old, user pairs of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Didn't Rasputin here collect old Volants too? Maybe that was the same guy.
    Yeah, same guy.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    20,418
    which were the GS model with the orange flame bases, I thot those looked cool ? My buddy had them and he really loved his so when I found 3 pair at a discount sports place still in the wrapper I called him up and he said buy them all so I got 3 pair on a ridiculous low ball offer might have been < 200 a pair
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane/Schweitzer
    Posts
    5,447
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Chubbs were revolutionary, the first functional all mountain fat skis, which don’t get anywhere near the credit they deserve. Going from 210cm K2 TNCs to 180cm Chubbs blew my mind. They didn’t hold up to hard use, but for a few years (94 -96) I was one of the lucky few experiencing modern ski performance (while being chided for using old man skis). The Spatula was a minor tweak by comparison, yet gets all the credit by clueless historians of skiing. These new Volants are a pretentious travesty.
    I had a pair of 1st gen 190 Chubbs and just couldn't believe how fat they were but so excellent in powder. I don't remember how fat they were but I want to say...85?? I bent one on a tree stump or rock that I was airing off and still skied them for another year. They were ONLY for powder in my quiver. I never liked them on firmer snow; very little side-cut. I also remember cursing them, in general, as powder days turned into one or two powder runs since everyone was going fat. I still miss the days of a 210 GS skinny ski in powder if only because the powder lasted a lot longer.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Golden
    Posts
    5,614
    Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    your rep was probably Keith?
    I don’t think it was Keith. He was the BC rep for Dalbello, Briko, and Volant and then went over to Blizzard when Amer took over Volant. I think he was from Vernon.
    Then we some guy we called “The Weasel” and we stopped carrying them in any numbers. Warranty claims were harder to get through and they still bent/broke just as easily.


    Sent from inside the house
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

    Kaz is my co-pilot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •