Started a podcast about masculinity

What's up y'all!

Since my time at TGR, I've been mostly out of the content game, and have been really missing that process of starting and maintaining a conversation with y'all and others about the outdoor experience. Also since leaving TGR, I started working at a fairly progressive non profit doing a lot of work around equity and inclusion, and also got married, and then divorced, all while #MeToo and Trump was going on. As I'm sure many of you are experiencing, it's an interesting/trying time to be a man in America.

So I decided to take that conversation public. I've started a podcast, Man:age, whose aim it is to explore what a new philosophy for American masculinity might look like in the 21st century.

I just put out the third episode, which is an interview with my friend Colin Boyd, former Freeride World Tour podium snowboarder, about our shared experiences at vipassana meditation retreats.

The first episode is with Jon Desabris, and talks about the trauma he experienced from being the first responder to Sam Smoothy's horrible crash in the TGR Winterland film last season, in which he came up on a non-responsive Sam that he was certain was dead.

I've already heard from a number of mags over Facebook, Instagram, and even LinkedIn (some of you ARE respectable working professionals after all, I'm impressed haha) about their excitement for this conversation, so thank you.

If you haven't tuned in already, you can check it out at manage.podbean.com or find it on iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and Stitcher.

LMK what you think! Mag who does the best flaming in this thread wins a free audio recording from yours truly of your choice.... happy birthday voicemail, a more professional-sounding voicemail message since your voice is high-pitched and nasily, whatever!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manage logo_with icon.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	237.3 KB 
ID:	325902
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Huh?
    crab in my shoe mouth

A friend of mine does this one, for reference, you ever heard of it?: https://slate.com/podcasts/man-up

Which reminds me, I need to listen to it, I've been slacking.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    A friend of mine does this one, for reference, you ever heard of it?: https://slate.com/podcasts/man-up

Which reminds me, I need to listen to it, I've been slacking.
    Wow cool! I had not. Just subscribed tho, looking forward to checking it out! Could I harang you for an intro down the line?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Man:gyna
    The podcast?
    Last edited by Core Shot; 04-20-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    . . .

This guys channel might give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Y...dOfySQSLcxtu1w

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Wow cool! I had not. Just subscribed tho, looking forward to checking it out! Could I harang you for an intro down the line?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    This guys channel might give you some ideas https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Y...dOfySQSLcxtu1w
    Subscribing! Thanks for the hot tip.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Absolutely
    Awesome. Thank you good sir!

This is pretty well written IMO.

The 7 Pillars of Masculinity
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    DUDE. Beau is friggin' amazing. I must have watched 20 of the videos last night. Thanks so much for pointing me his way!

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    This is pretty well written IMO.

The 7 Pillars of Masculinity
    That's masculinity for old people. While it's great to be disciplined, creative, and all that, it's also tired trope on what a man is and puts us in a box. That's not 'wisdom', as that guys ego claims it to be, that's just stereotypes rehashed. I couldn't finish it. When I lived in MT people in the 90's so many people lived that way to be manly, most were not 'authentic' at all, they were following and doing what everyone else did. How can you be #1 and follow the rest when that shit doesn't come naturally? You learn to do the rest to fit in, which negates #1.

That said, those are some good building blocks of life for anyone, but people are more complicated and nuanced that that, and I think that's where younger people are sick of the trope and seeing what masculinity can be through podcasts or whatever. Good for them.

Isn’t talking about masculinity the antithesis of being masculine?

Talking about stuff is for chicks man.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    DUDE. Beau is friggin' amazing. I must have watched 20 of the videos last night. Thanks so much for pointing me his way!
    Your welcome.