Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Last Dance

Lebron would have been great back then too. But what I came to say was I watched episode 4 last night and I didn't know MJ hates Isiah like he does. Made me like MJ even more. Isiah is not a favorite of mine either. To say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Lebron would have been great back then too. But what I came to say was I watched episode 4 last night and I didn't know MJ hates Isiah like he does. Made me like MJ even more. Isiah is not a favorite of mine either. To say the least.
    MJ hates Isaiah Thomas so much he kept him off the dream team.

Yeah, I'm hooked. As a 90's kid, this is so awesome to watch. I wish I would have kept some Air Jordan's from my youth and some T-Shirts and all that shit.

I remember playing bball with my friends and yelling "JORDAN" every time I went to the hoop.

I hope they show some Karl Malone interviews near the end.

Edit: Looks like two episodes every Sunday through May 17? 10 total episodes... damn!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i forgot how small track shoes of a player nike was at the time they signed mike and
    I forgot how exciting the round mound of rebound and thunder dans final series was.
    "take that shit outta your windows for today"
    yeah but mikes only packin 1 suit to az Charles
    and yes its easy to forget steph and labron play in the league mj pip magic sir chuck the Hick from French Lick and dream team created
    cept Isiah
    keep dreaming and yes class was a criteria you lacked and sat home butthurt because

I dug out some of the shrine stuffs id git for xmass and my bday
    fuck that 1st threepeat was domination
    fuck only ny took them to 7 and sparks is a punk masons and oakly were studs though
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Within a minute into this Dance thing and you know it’s the best thing ever.

The best/worst aspect is the editing. Who knows who talked to Sam Smith for the The Jordan Rules, cut to Horace Grant. I don't know why Isiah was left off the Dream Team, a little smile from Mike. The little wars with people like Toni Kukoč plus the big war with Jerry Krause. It's Michael “you’re only as good as your last envelope” Jordan settling scores on the way to one more championship.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I watched both play. They’re the same at their core.
    I watched both play, and no way are they the same at their core. Jordan was a straight up psycho killer. LeBron doesn't have that same mentality, which is probably a good thing for his overall life.

Laughing at the suggestion elsewhere in this thread that Steph Curry is a system player. HE IS THE SYSTEM. (However, I'm definitely not putting him up there with those two) I will say, the Jordan Rules definitely reminded me of the strategy in recent years against Curry... clutch, grab and knock him down whenever possible. Doc Rivers compared the two in that way in an interview a while back. Curry also put on some more muscle and weight to handle the beatings, same as Jordan. Obviously the Pistons were allowed to be even more physical, though.

Only a few episodes in but definitely bringing back childhood memories. Grew up in the burbs during all this and MJ even had a house a couple towns over. Went to one of the big grant park shindigs as well. Nothing against the new players but I pretty much stopped watching NBA after the Jordan era.

And fuck lambeer!

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    And fuck lambeer!
    goes without saying

"we thought if, at the end of four years, we sold $3 million of Air Jordan shoes, we'd be a success. so that was the target.

In the first year we did $127 million."

now, you could really build a resume on that.

bTW loved the old man show Malone minutes. "Internet? Karl Malone tell you about innernet. Karl Malone take the ball. an put it innanet"
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    "we thought if, at the end of four years, we sold $3 million of Air Jordan shoes, we'd be a success. so that was the target.

In the first year we did $127 million."
    yeah, plenty of stuff I didn't really know in the series so far, but that was my first "holy shit" moment.

I kind of forgot what a joke Nike was before MJ transformed them. It really is crazy, the cultural impact he had.

Also, a lot of older sports footage doesn't age well but Jordan's moves to the rim and his dunks were just SOOOOOOO fucking stylish. It was so cool to watch and remember.

I bought a pair of Nike astroturf football shoes and a pair of regular football shoes from Nike in 1975 or so. You had to order them through Blue Ribbon Sports in Oregon. They came in a box with a hand written mailing label

All this documentary has been reminding me of is how awesome the bad boys pistons were. Jordan still holding a grudge 30 yrs later and then Laimbeer's response to the documentary was f'n classic.

No shit they didn't want Isaiah on the dream team, in 89 they beat swept Bird's Celtics, swept the Bucks, took Jordan's Bulls in 6, and swept Magic and the Lakers in the finals. No matter what you think of the team that's one hell of a run they had with a 6'1" point guard and 9 role players.

Quote Originally Posted by rip View Post
    All this documentary has been reminding me of is how awesome the bad boys pistons were. Jordan still holding a grudge 30 yrs later and then Laimbeer's response to the documentary was f'n classic.

No shit they didn't want Isaiah on the dream team, in 89 they beat swept Bird's Celtics, swept the Bucks, took Jordan's Bulls in 6, and swept Magic and the Lakers in the finals. No matter what you think of the team that's one hell of a run they had with a 6'1" point guard and 9 role players.
    Pssst...Your avatar is showing

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Pssst...Your avatar is showing
    Now that you mention it maybe it's time for a change..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200507-195648.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	700.0 KB 
ID:	327654
    Or maybe
    Name:  59d847f8674be.image.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  57.1 KB

Actually maybe I like this one best

Name:  laimbeer.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  49.5 KB

Mid 80s into mid 90s was such an awesome era for the NBA
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

id go 6>2
    by 4 fuckin rings, banner,s trophies champoionships whateverzs
    or Isiah all dressed up to the 9's to be interviewed about
    why no one thought he deserved to be an olympian and a dream teamer
    cept Isiah and his few fanbois
    fuck his reverse racist shit was sad the from the im just piggy backing a comment to the press conferance
    its like the bird couldn't fly that fucked coop quick enough
    and Isiah couldn't make himself look any stupider
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I'm not saying they were better than the bulls, of course the bulls ended up being a much better team with a much better run but they can at least credit the Pistons for getting them into fighting shape the way the Celtics did the same for the Pistons.

Isaiah didn't make those comments about bird but he backed up Rodman who did say it and took the heat for it cuz at the time Rodman was a pretty fragile kid and it may not been the right thing to do but he did it as a leader of the team.

And it's no doubt he wasn't on the dream team cuz he pissed off basically everyone on it, Jordan, pippen, Bird, magic, Malone, etc.. but you can't say he didn't have the talent and accomplishments to belong there because he did. Still holds the NBA finals record for points in a quarter at 25, and half of those on a sprained ankle. Dude was a competitor thru and thru.

Isiah had the talent and skills to be on the gold medal winning dream team. Full stop. He also had the personality to not be invited despite being better than a lot of the players that were.

That, to me, says it all.

I'm not saying they were better than the bulls, of course the bulls ended up being a much better team with a much better run but they can at least credit the Pistons for getting them into fighting shape the way the Celtics did the same for the Pistons.

Isaiah didn't make those comments about bird but he backed up Rodman who did say it and took the heat for it cuz at the time Rodman was a pretty fragile kid and it may not been the right thing to do but he did it as a leader of the team.

And it's no doubt he wasn't on the dream team cuz he pissed off basically everyone on it, Jordan, pippen, Bird, magic, Malone, etc.. but you can't say he didn't have the talent and accomplishments to belong there because he did. Still holds the NBA finals record for points in a quarter at 25, and half of those on a sprained ankle. Dude was a competitor thru and thru.
    You could feasibly argue that if it wasn't for the Bad Boy Pistons, we may never have seen MJ reach his full potential. They clearly pushed him to another level.

And yeah, IT fully deserved to be on the Dream Team without a doubt - I don't think it's even debatable - and by the same measure in terms of team chemistry he also fully deserved to be left off the roster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Isiah had the talent and skills to be on the gold medal winning dream team. Full stop. He also had the personality to not be invited despite being better than a lot of the players that were.

That, to me, says it all.
    That may be true, but it was a different era for the nba as well. Players weren’t all buddy buddy after the series and seasons ended. You didn’t join the team whooping your ass, you hit the gym and spent the next 11 months committed to beating those mf’rs. Rivalries were messy and real.. as evidenced by this still being a thing.. 30 yrs later!

Edit - Another fun fact, in the 4 seasons prior to the 91 Eastern Conference Finals when the Bulls rolled the pistons and started their dominance they were 12-28 vs Detroit. Division rivals used to play 6 time a year, that will definitely harbor some bad blood.

They were the same as the broad st bullies. Using dirty play and intimidation as a primary tactic. It was entertaining to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You could feasibly argue that if it wasn't for the Bad Boy Pistons, we may never have seen MJ reach his full potential. They clearly pushed him to another level.

And yeah, IT fully deserved to be on the Dream Team without a doubt - I don't think it's even debatable - and by the same measure in terms of team chemistry he also fully deserved to be left off the roster as well.
    you can feasibly debate argue or hold whatever opinion you like and to a point how history agrees or doesnt
    you cant argue bout the # of banners hangin in the u center or who has how many rings and barcalona oylmpic gold
    them are dance facts
    you can pick your dance though

So glad Isaiah Thomas is coming across as the weasel he is. The mythology around the Jordan Rules has always bugged me. The late night meeting and everything. Basically, all Isaiah Thomas and the Pistons did was cheat. They couldn't deal with Jordan so they decided to cheat. Yet another and thoroughly deserved hit to Thomas's already scumbag reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    you can feasibly debate argue or hold whatever opinion you like and to a point how history agrees or doesnt
    you cant argue bout the # of banners hangin in the u center or who has how many rings and barcalona oylmpic gold
    them are dance facts
    you can pick your dance though
    You’re responding like I’m an IT fan. I hate that guy. But he was a good player for sure.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    So glad Isaiah Thomas is coming across as the weasel he is. The mythology around the Jordan Rules has always bugged me. The late night meeting and everything. Basically, all Isaiah Thomas and the Pistons did was cheat. They couldn't deal with Jordan so they decided to cheat. Yet another and thoroughly deserved hit to Thomas's already scumbag reputation.
    C'mon now tell us how you really feel. Celtics also used to whoop the shit out of Jordan and the bulls all thru the 80s, did they cheat too? You don't think Phil Jackson had anything to do with them becoming elite?