Skin Width Opinions for Wide Skis

Hey all,

I'm looking at some Pomoca Free pro 2.0 skins for my 184cm Moment pow skis, the dimensions are 141 - 116 - 131, but I can't find the L size skins (175-190) in a 140mm. For my general touring skis I went with a skin width such that I could get a cut that is wall-to-wall over the length of the ski, and been happy with the grip/glide/edging ability in all conditions I've encountered.

However, for my fat skis, there is an L size skin in the 123mm width, which would actually cover my bases (with sidewall's worth of base exposed) over ~60% of the middle of the ski, which I feel is where you get most of your climbing grip anyways. Since my tips and tails are fairly rockered, does anyone see significant drawbacks from just going with that size and losing a bit of edge-to-edge coverage in the tips and tails, especially if I will mostly be powder touring on these? The cambered section, and the ski's flat contact points, do seem to extend a bit further than the 123mm-wide section of the front part of the ski.

Anyone have strong opinions or personal experience with slightly smaller widths than their tips and tails?

I got pomocas lazer cut specificaly for 2 sets of dynafit skis which are 100% fulI coverage but my other skins are not full coverage all the way to the tips.

i am a big proponent of going W2W if you intend to be serious and I would say w2w for 60% of the ski sounds pretty good

edit: If that skin coverage ^^ doesnt work you would probably be using ski crampons or you should have brought a different ski anyway
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-20-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

works fine for me.

Theoretically you could have some troubles on a very hard snow if you have very bad walking technique.
    Other than that - I can see only pros of using 123 cm skins on 141 - 116 - 131 pow rockered skis.

I've done this with a number of skins... it's really painful to go too narrow underfoot, pretty painless usually to go to narrow in the tips. I think that width is fine for those skis.

Thanks for the quick thoughts. I agree I don't see myself side-hilling in steep terrain and firm snow with these. Gonna just go ahead and do the 123mm

Pm sent

123mm skin trimmed a bit at the waist will work pretty damn near perfect for a 141-116-131 ski

I legit almost started the exact same thread, looking for the exact same skins for 184cm Moments. lol... thanks! I kind of figured as long as coverage underfoot was good it wouldn't matter much.