Ever sell something (mtn bike) then see it listed online for 2x the selling price?

Had a feeling this guy was going to flip it.

DH mtn bike from 2009. I've had it listed on pinkbike since late last summer, tons of nibbles but no serious takers. Had a feeling come spring time I'd have better luck..

Was pretty stern with potential buyers. Low ballers were ignored. Stupid questions that were explained in the ad were ignored. While I wanted it sold I was never stressed about it - if it didn't sell that just means I've got a (older but near perfect condition and totally fine for my abilities) kick ass dh bike. Just don't get to out to the park very often.

Sold it two days ago. Gave the guy $50 off. He came from 1.5 hours away.

Today I see it on kijiji (like craigslist, in Canada) for exactly twice what he paid for it.

It's a weird conflicted feeling. I'm pissed off. Don't even really know why - I'm happy with the price they paid. Just feels so greasy. I think I'm mostly just mad at my self for giving the guy a bit of a break. Like I said, I had a strong suspicion this guy was going to flip it, so I don't even know why this feels so messed up.

My price was inline with what I was seeing for similar bikes from that year. And it took half a year to sell, on pinkbike anyways.

Any reasonable potential buyer will research his bike before buying and compare prices. I hope.

I think you have to remember you wanted to sell it, you did for what you considered a fair price or the price you wanted, everything after that really does not matter.

The buyer listed it but has not sold it and when and if he does you will not know the price, so again forget about it, you had your chance to sell the bike and you did, you got what you wanted.

Ever sell something (mtn bike) then see it listed online for 2x the selling price?

Are you in Alberta? I wouldn’t sweat it. Demand is down due to Covid IMO (although admittedly up on cheap older bikes) and so is supply so peeps are thinking they can sell for higher. Dick move on his part for sure but I don’t think he will sell for much more from what I’ve been seeing locally.

I mean, what did you sell it for, $500, and he has it up for $1000? It’s a 2009 bike ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’ll sit on it for longer than you did.

Quote Originally Posted by robertrs View Post
    I think you have to remember you wanted to sell it, you did for what you considered a fair price or the price you wanted, everything after that really does not matter.

The buyer listed it but has not sold it and when and if he does you will not know the price, so again forget about it, you had your chance to sell the bike and you did, you got what you wanted.
    Absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Are you in Alberta? I wouldn’t sweat it. Demand is down due to Covid IMO (although admittedly up on cheap older bikes) and so is supply so peeps are thinking they can sell for higher. Dick move on his part for sure but I don’t think he will sell for much more from what I’ve been seeing locally.

I mean, what did you sell it for, $500, and he has it up for $1000? It’s a 2009 bike ffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ontario. Agreed. $750 - $1500

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    He’ll sit on it for longer than you did.
    I can only imagine this will be the case.

Who cares? As long as you got the price you wanted, then it really doesn't matter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Chill joke is on the flipper.

I been purging a lot of stuff lately. I really don't mind giving stuff away but there are a bunch of hoarders and flipper that will scoop up anything free. Usually I list stuff for a realistic price and write a disclaimer regarding offers and stupid questions. I don't even bother replying to low balls and stupid questions. It's been working well. The only thing I want to burn is an infinity basslink sub. Subs attract the dumbest of the dumb.

I had an old Cannondale for sale for a screaming deal. Cannondale didn't make bushings for it anymore, (and BTW fuck Cannondale) so I had a low, low price. The guy who who bought it didn't even ride it. He flipped it for almost double. I'm kinda glad he bought it, I feel like I really shoulda thrown it away rather than sell it. I would have been honest if anyone asked me why it was so cheap, but I wasn't looking forward to that question either.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    The only thing I want to burn is an infinity basslink sub. Subs attract the dumbest of the dumb.
    PM sent.

2 things, look at the positive you have no idea who will buy it next but they won't be coming back at you complaining

he may have listed it but it hasnt sold yet the asking price is hypothertical

take your profit and be happy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So people ever come back complaining?

I don't know about mtnbike 2nd hand prices. But i am checking a bike very good condition 2012 edition. Retailprice 4500. So what is resonable? I usually never have time in summer....

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    PM sent.
    Yes it available. My lowest is 1 pack of beacon. Will it work in your truck? No, trucks are 24 volts.

I had priced a bike to sell last summer, and the first hit the guy negotiated a price through email I could live with. When we met he started finding reasons to lowball me further. Literally got on his hands and knees and begged me to sell it to him for $100 less than what we agreed (which was already $200 under asking). I just wanted to be done with it and gave in. A week later he swapped out some of the components and listed it for almost twice what I sold it for. Like you I was pissed off, thought I was doing this guy a favor (he gave me this song and dance about how it was his dream bike). At the same time, I was pretty happy to be done with it and not have to deal with showing it. My mistake for doing any negotiating before meeting in person, something I never do.

Interesting thread. I used to sell gear while still in school on local craigslist. I used to be a shop guy in college and understood the value of used gear. I would commonly buy undervalued bike gear and flip. No song and dance. I would pay what the seller wanted or that we would negotiate a fair price and then sometimes sell the next day for significant increase if value warranted and sell quickly. No different than trading in a vehicle only to have them clean it up and resell for more. In my case i would go through the mechanicals and insure all issues fixed and or improved. If someone would ask and occasionally someone would if i purchased the said bike the day before...no stories...yes and now I'm selling it for more. These days i typically either give my gear away and or sell cheaply on tgr. I literally funded all my new skis, bikes, gear etc when i was broke through being a reseller. My wife would have killed me otherwise. The slimy story type of seller is annoying and can see how someone would be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    So people ever come back complaining?
    I sold a guy a car that he asked to buy , it caught fire that weekend and he was pissed at me

It took me 2 years to sell my 2005 C-dale prophet 1000 for 500$, nothing but assholes on line so i had it at the LBS spring swap twice and it sold the second time old bikes are not worth much
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pay yourself with time. Reseller needs more time effort and possibly money to sit on it or employ different marketing if he’s gonna get close. Also just cuz Dey asking don’t mean Dey gettin.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Reminds of the time I reluctantly bought a civic from a friend. I realized the car was in poor shape but I stood by my word to buy it. I ended up rebuilding the transmission, changing a bunch electronics on the engine, rebuild the door and ignition lock cylinders and a bunch of of other small stuff. I sold it a a few months latter for an extra $200 after all the work. He said I made money on it. It was the first transmission I split so in retrospective I got a lot of knowledge out of it.

THE SAGA CONTINUES

The bike is now listed at $2000 (WTF Its a 2009 Giant Glory O.) from a different seller in a totally different area. I'm not making this up. Did a second flipper buy it?

Second flipper could just be a straight up scam.

I saw one of my gear swap posts here copy and pasted (picture and all) to ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Second flipper could just be a straight up scam.

I saw one of my gear swap posts here copy and pasted (picture and all) to ebay.
    I shit you not the new post has new pics. They did copy and paste the original ads write up though.