Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Road bike tire thread

Do we have a thread just on road tires? If so, I couldn't find it.

I'm looking at some Schwalbe One tires - reviews look good, and they're on a good sale. Do Schwalbe road tires hold up OK? (haven't had great luck with their mountain tires)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Isn't the obvious answer to this question Continental GP5000s, choose a width and be a dick about it? Some of the reviews are even suggesting the non-tubeless version rides better than the tubeless due to too much sidewall support (less compliance).

I've been running Schwalbe Pro One tubeless (28s), while they have a great road feel they don't hold up to much gravel use. I'll sometimes combine my ride from the city out to our DH shuttle area (when the road is closed to vehicles) and one run up/down that tore bits of tread off.

I can fit up to 35s so going to try the 32 GP5000s next, maybe 28s, still debating.

Road bike tire thread

Conti’s for sure. I’m running the tubeless GP 5000 in a 25, and freaking love them.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I like Continental road tires, but I also like sales. The Schwalbe in a 700x30 is $25.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Road bike tire thread

I’ve been using Continental Gatorskins 28’s for years; thousands of miles and not one flat. I won’t use anything else. Not the most supple tire, but they’re bombproof.

Road bike tire thread

I like those Schwalbe Pro One TLE, and the Maxxis Padrone, (but one flew off my rim and I had to send it back and they sent me a new one!), and want to try those Mavic’s, but I’m not buying new rims for that technology, oh and those Contis don’t feel that great to me. But absolutely the best tire is the IRC RBCC. http://irc-tire.com/en/bc/products/formula/
    Cuz they got rice in them. Well, not rice but husks, apparently.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I’ve been using Continental Gatorskins 28’s for years; thousands of miles and not one flat. I won’t use anything else. Not the most supple tire, but they’re bombproof.
    I had one flat on a pair of gatorskins. Hit a nail that went straight thru tire, thru tube and thru the rim. Pulled it out, replaced tube and rode home. Wheel was done but I used the conti as a commuter tire for another couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Depends what you're going for. Tom Anhalt of bicyclerollingresistance.com and http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/ provides a lot of answers.

If you're sub-32mm sounds like the answer is Continental GP5000s for price-to-performance.

I'm currently in the wider is better camp and looking at the 35mm range. Picked up some Challenge Strada Bianca TLR 36c and excited to give them a try. I'm currently running the Compass Stampede Pass (32c) and I think they're great. The roads in Seattle are rough!

EDIT: Gatorskins have horrible rolling resistance. But I had a pair for a while and they held up fine, I just didn't know what I was missing!

In my opinion their road tires are class leading. I am a Maxxis guy for MTB and have bad experiences with Schwalbe MTB tires in the past, like everyone else. I know their MTB tire have gotten way better, but I'm burned from the days that all the knobs ripped off with in 2 rides

Schwalble have had a few different versions. I have ridden most, and all that I am referring to are the Tubeless versions.
    - Ultremo ZX tubeless (2012-2014ish) Their original Tubeless, I had these in a 23 and loved them. My first Tubeless road tire.
    -One (2014-16) I had these in 25's and 28's. Still run the 28's on my travel road rim brake bike. Measure up around 30-31mm on 17-18mm ID rim. 348g. Used mostly in good weather, on both road and light gravel/dirt roads. I can run them in the low 60's psi (I'm 200 bs), no issues with durability. I get the occasional small surface cuts, which I mark with a paint pen to be able to monitor if they become an issue, but never have these small cuts been a problem.
    -Pro One (2016-2019) I currently ride these on my light road rim brake bike in 25's. These measure out around 27mm on a 17mm ID rim. 255g. Great grip on pavement, super fast rolling resistance, proven in all the geeky rolling resistance tests. I ofter ride a "gravel" forest service road here in Colorado on these, and decent at almost full speed. Never a puncture or cut on these. Not even any surface cuts yet. Great deals can be had on these now that they are the "old model"
    -Pro One (2019-20xx) I have 2 new ones in package for later this spring when I need a freshen up. New lighter, faster rolling, etc. Lighter carcass so its more supple (?) but with a bit more puncture protection(not that I have needed that), and 15g lighter. They also claim they are easier to mount and air up. Also come in 30c size now.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 04-19-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling

I got red ones, to match the bike. They're pretty fast, except I'm the one pedaling it.

Another vote for GP5000. I use 28mm and they just roll ..... and roll .... and roll

80PSI

Any of you used Zipp tires? Apparently made for them by Vittoria.

Cheap!

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...BoCEVkQAvD_BwE

Back on clinchers after more than 5 years on tubbies...picked up a used set of wheels that have Conti 5000 TL mounted. About 250 miles so far this spring on them and they are good. No issues so far. Good deals on 5000's here: https://shop.sportsbasement.com/search?query=5000

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    In my opinion their road tires are class leading. I am a Maxxis guy for MTB and have bad experiences with Schwalbe MTB tires in the past, like everyone else. I know their MTB tire have gotten way better, but I'm burned from the days that all the knobs ripped off with in 2 rides

Schwalble have had a few different versions. I have ridden most, and all that I am referring to are the Tubeless versions.
    - Ultremo ZX tubeless (2012-2014ish) Their original Tubeless, I had these in a 23 and loved them. My first Tubeless road tire.
    -One (2014-16) I had these in 25's and 28's. Still run the 28's on my travel road rim brake bike. Measure up around 30-31mm on 17-18mm ID rim. 348g. Used mostly in good weather, on both road and light gravel/dirt roads. I can run them in the low 60's psi (I'm 200 bs), no issues with durability. I get the occasional small surface cuts, which I mark with a paint pen to be able to monitor if they become an issue, but never have these small cuts been a problem.
    -Pro One (2016-2019) I currently ride these on my light road rim brake bike in 25's. These measure out around 27mm on a 17mm ID rim. 255g. Great grip on pavement, super fast rolling resistance, proven in all the geeky rolling resistance tests. I ofter ride a "gravel" forest service road here in Colorado on these, and decent at almost full speed. Never a puncture or cut on these. Not even any surface cuts yet. Great deals can be had on these now that they are the "old model"
    -Pro One (2019-20xx) I have 2 new ones in package for later this spring when I need a freshen up. New lighter, faster rolling, etc. Lighter carcass so its more supple (?) but with a bit more puncture protection(not that I have needed that), and 15g lighter. They also claim they are easier to mount and air up. Also come in 30c size now.
    I found going from 23mm to 25mm was defintley better so I just picked up a set of Pro 1's in 28mm, did you run them tubeless, is it worth bothering or just use tubes ?

I got a great deal at Chain reaction but the royal mail was like 5 weeks to BC
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I run them mostly tubeless. I can run comfortably the pressure a few PSI lower that way. The 28's I have on my Ritchey Break-Away travel bike I run tubes. I once had trouble getting the tubeless bead seated in my hotel room, so I have now gone tubes in that set up.

I’m running my GP 5000TL 25’s at 78psi. Combined with the sweet Bonty carbon wheels, so smooth and comfortable. Ride all day on shitty roads and not be beat up. I love tubeless road.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Conti GPs. Order from Merlin, PBK, bike discount, starbike, or some other Euro or German website. Best tires, save some $$$$.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I run my tubeless 25's at 74f, 77r.
    I use the Quarq TyreWiz App (not the $200 sensor, but just the FREE app) for determining my pressure. Put in your body weight, bike weight and tire size. It's pretty good for setting a base line pressure. I fine the road pressure pretty accurate. For MTB I add 10% to the suggested pressure.

Ok maybe I should try the tubeless road, how is the setup for road, I havent looked at it yet, the roads are still covered in gravel up here and need sweeping before getting on the road bike

My cannondale has Shimano rims with the spoke nipples adjusted at the hub so maybe they will adapt well to stans ?

I have run tubeless mtnbike but not road, it sounds like it has come of age

^^^Easy-peasy.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

GP5000 is a very nice tire, although not quite as robust as the GP4000 per bicyclerollingresistance testing. IME, 700 x 28 Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 is tougher and more puncture resistant than GP5000. My wife, a randonerd, gets better mileage from the Pro4 Endurance v2. Similar ride, both are very lively -- I can't tell the difference. GP5000 has marginally better rolling resistance but both get 5 stars, both "highly recommended" by BRR. Really can't go wrong with either tire. If you're on GP5000s and can find the Pro4 Endurance v2 on sale, you might wanna try them and see what you think.

My favorite 700x32 or x35 tire for rough paved roads and smooth gravel is Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. Nice ride, 5-star rolling resistance and tough. ETA: Gatorskins are dogs.

any of you tire nerds have suggestions for deciding on tire pressure

me 200#, 6-5
    bike: cannondale cad10 w/ 700x25 vittoria rubino pro on them
    no gravel, just pavement

i've been doing 100psi, but wondering if there are any rules of thumb on this

maybe 110 rear 95 front

at your body weight, you might consider going with 28s

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    maybe 110 rear 95 front

at your body weight, you might consider going with 28s
    i will try it, thx

[i just bumped from 23 up to 25 (lbs said i couldn't fit 28...sounded odd to me, but i didn't contest it)...used to ride at 110 front/back on 23]

Going up from 23mm to 25mm was definatly an improvement in ride & traction on the shittier roads up here that often end in gravel which make it harder to ride a loop

I would have gone wider than 28mm but I wasn't sure what will fit in a CAAD 8 frame ?

anybody had issues fitting wider tires into road frames would be the good question, or lets talk about fitting wider tires in general ??