Rustler 11 replacement

Couldn’t find a similar thread so apologies if this had been brought up somewhere else.
    I bought a rustler 11 with shifts as a 50/50 setup at the beginning of the season but just never got along with the more centered mounting. What’s the equivalent of the 11 (110-112 width, 2000-2150 grams, fairly stable chargerish but not a pure charger, 180-185 length, not under 900 msrp) but with a more traditional mount point? Thought about a vwerks katana but out of price point. Seems like there’s a number of options in 108, not sure if I’m being too picky over 2-4mm. Ideally something that works in the heavier pnw under 8” snow days. Also, WTS a pretty mint Rustler 11 in a 180 if I can a replacement.

Nordica Enforcer 110
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Enforcer Pro if you are looking for a similar width.

The Nordicas have a similar mount point as the rustlers, was thinking something >10cm+ from center.

I am not sure if Sport Conrad ship to the US, but if they do then they offer 177 Katana V werks at 40% off. They send stuff all over there world though - I seem to remember a guy in Japan buying something from them - so it could be worth a shot.

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/prod...a-v-werks.html

177 KVWs are about a cm shorter than 180 R11s, but you have way more ski in front of you - even my pair that is mounted +2.

I love R11s - like my favorite ski ever, but so far my newly acquired KVWs have impressed me so much that I am thinking about not replacing my R11s after all (just sold my pair of R11s to get a new pair). KVWs are stupid easy to ski, but still handle speed and variable like it ain't a thing. The tails are not punishing and are easy to get around. Overall -> very impressive performance given their low weight. My pair is mounted with Tectons.

If you're willing to go a little wider maybe a Head Kore 117?

R11 is a great ski - shame that you couldnt get along with them.

Kore 117 could be a good option.

Have you considered moving the bindings? Just because there's a bump in the topsheet doesn't mean you have to put the middle of your boot there.

I also tend to prefer traditional mounts, but the Rustler 11 is probably my favorite resort ski ever. I think I mounted at -1.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Yo Joe What's the price on the R11s, got any pictures?

Enforcer 110 mounted -2 works great for me. I found them too twitchy at -0.5.

So, yeah, I'd try your R11s at -2 before giving up on them

Sounds like a lot of people like the r11 for what you’re wanting. Most likely a different ski won’t solve your problem. But you do need a new ski, so get a new r11 and try again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rustler 11 replacement

I have the 180cm 2019 green R11s (5’7”, 165 lbs). We’re pretty opposite as I dislike mount points >-7cm. Most of my skis are at -5cm or -6cm from center. I had some skis at -8.5cm (MSP 99s), and I could ski them, but I just click with more forward mounts. So ya mount points are important. And individual.

I originally had my R11s at +2cm with Pivots for inbound, and thought they were good there. But ended up remounting with Shifts for side country and went +1cm from the bump....so I’m at -6.8cm (I think rec is -7.8cm per Blister) on R11s. Which I think is perfect for these, and these are my farthest back skis I own.

R11s have a pretty big sweet spot. Anywhere from -2cm to +2cm from what I’ve read. So maybe try yours at -2cm? But then yours would have two mounts which devalues the ski a bit more. Which is irrelevant if you keep them which is what I did.

What about a 2020 K2 Mindbender? The MB rec mount point is pretty far back at -9.75cm.
    I’ve had my 180cm R11s stand right against a pair of 179cm Mindbenders (the K2 MB’s measure a bit longer than Blizzards) and the 179cm MBs are the same length as the 180cm R11s. K2 Mindbender 116C specs of 143-116-133 are pretty close to the R11’s specs 142-112-132. The MB 116C is pretty light for its size too. I think the 179cm MB is 2,000 gm/ski? I’ve seen the K2s for pretty cheap lately ($350US equivalent in Canada).

R11s + Shifts is a very useable/useful/fun/ripping set-up for Whistler/Baker, with a great stability to weight ratio, I think they look/ski perfect at +1cm:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2427.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	325939
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-27-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoePSA View Post
    Couldn’t find a similar thread so apologies if this had been brought up somewhere else.
    I bought a rustler 11 with shifts as a 50/50 setup at the beginning of the season but just never got along with the more centered mounting. What’s the equivalent of the 11 (110-112 width, 2000-2150 grams, fairly stable chargerish but not a pure charger, 180-185 length, not under 900 msrp) but with a more traditional mount point? Thought about a vwerks katana but out of price point. Seems like there’s a number of options in 108, not sure if I’m being too picky over 2-4mm. Ideally something that works in the heavier pnw under 8” snow days. Also, WTS a pretty mint Rustler 11 in a 180 if I can a replacement.
    What do you mean by “not getting along with [the mount point]”? Can you be more descriptive? The mount point on my 188’s are almost -8-cm, hardly center mounted.

My guess it is something about the ski, not the mount point that is throwing you off.

Also, what are your physical specs? Is the 180 the right length?

Finally, would be interested in the 180’s if you decide to sell.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I mean, obviously the answer is more skis, but any reason you haven't just tried mounting them -2?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

the R11 is hardly center mounted. If you want a traditional mount point, bump it back -2 or so..

Also interested in the Rustlers!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Detune?

Move the mount back. I could make them work at factory but prefered them at -1.5.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Move the mount back. I could make them work at factory but prefered them at -1.5.
    So, it's not just me, and I'm not just crazy. Most skis feel/look too forward for me nowadays and the boots are too upright.
    Maybe it's old coot bullshit, but I can't change 30 years of muscle memory without my back really hurting, or not being able to release the tails when I want.
    Getting lower can help, though.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

A few thoughts:

The rustlers/gunsmokes have always liked to be skied forward and longer. Maybe give either one of those a try? Maybe both?

Being a fanboy of the Gunsmoke in particular, I've hopped onto the New Dyastar line. I skied the M-Free 118 (or PROTO) last season and loved it as a comparable ski to the gunsmoke, though maybe a little more poppy. Might be worth checking out the M-free 108 next year.

Gonna jump in on this thread. In a similar spot to GI. I am 6ft, 210lbs naked.

The rustler 192cm mounted at +1.5 has been my favorite resort pow/big mountain ski, hands down.

I used this ski for 90% of my resort skiing (remaining 10% split between 196 bodes and park skis), 100% of FWQ comps and 100% of touring days.

Looking for an alternative for next season, based in Canada so moment and praxis are out of the picture due to exchange rate.

Considering
    Armada declivity 192cm, current leader want something with a slightly more playful/twinned tail.
    Dyna Proto 118 189cm (M-Free), looks awesome worried about measured 186 length being to short
    Blackcrows Anima 194cm
    Salomon Qst 118 192cm

Hit me with what you recommend, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post

The rustler 192cm mounted at +1.5 has been my favorite resort pow/big mountain ski, hands down.

I used this ski for 90% of my resort skiing (remaining 10% split between 196 bodes and park skis), 100% of FWQ comps and 100% of touring days.

Looking for an alternative for next season, based in Canada so moment and praxis are out of the picture due to exchange rate.

Considering
    Armada declivity 192cm, current leader want something with a slightly more playful/twinned tail.
    Dyna Proto 118 189cm (M-Free), looks awesome worried about measured 186 length being to short
    Blackcrows Anima 194cm
    Salomon Qst 118 192cm

I used to complete on the 193 Gunsmokes. I skied the Proto this season and I can say that length was one of my complaints, but if they didn't end up cancelling Big Sky and Crystal, it was still the ski I was gonna use; it's still a ton of fun, lands well off of pretty big hits, and pops off of whatever you want it to. You can read my review on it if you want more info (still have a final synopsis that I'll edit into my post later).

I'm planning on using the M-free 108 in a 192 next year, along with maybe a Bodacious.

Otherwise I would also look at the Faction CT 3.0 for a greater twin feel, Mindbender 108 or 116 if you want a flatter tail. Moment Wildcat is another good option in either the 116 or 108.

Honestly, the Rustler 11 is a hard ski to beat if you already like it, don't fix something that isn't broken. I probably would have bought it by now if I didn't still have my Gunsmokes :P

Quote Originally Posted by kicool View Post

Considering
    Blackcrows Anima 194cm
    Salomon Qst 118 192cm

The QST is too much of a pow ski and is too light to smash around inbounds.
    The Proto too short.
    The Anima is okay, but doesn’t charge as hard as the rustler. (The price also sucks on these in canada)
    The declivity X would be an okay choice, but it’s more directional and less jibby/fun than the rustler.

You should checkout the 193 prior CBC and mount it -3 from recommended(-6 from true center so the same as your rustler). Awesome shape that is a ton of fun and the construction is awesome.
    The 189 DPS koala would also be an awesome ski for you too, bit heavier than your rustler but it is awesome for whistler pow days.
    Other options would be the Moment wildcat 118(but yeah the exchange rate sucks these days) and the ON3P woodsman 116(again shitty exchange rate.

The only thing is most of these skis are heavier than the 192 rustler, but generally more stable. The 192 rustler really does one of the best stability to weight ratios out there, so not sure any of these skis would be as good of an option to both tour and charge inbounds on.

We should ski sometime!

Thanks pretzel. Actually pulled trigger on the dps koala today. Escape route had em new for $600. Cant beat that.

And Yes. We gotta ski. Duffy laps?