Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Video games to play with my son?

So desperate times call for desperate measures, which for me means this outdoor guy is willing to play video games with his son. I'm looking for suggestions on games.

Criteria:
    - We have X Box 1 and two controllers;
    - Nothing too complicated (don't want to spend a week learning the controls);
    - 2 player game
    - Son is 12 years old. Father is 48 but acts 30 (according to Mrs. St. Jerry).

Thanks!
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Rocket League is addictively fun.

Get a used Wii.

Wii sports
    Mario kart
    Wii fishing resort

Done

Buy the EXCELLENT Sega Genesis Classics for your system. It's cheap, includes a ton of great games from your youth, the interface is great, and is simply retro done right. The Rewind feature kicks ass too.

https://genesisclassics.sega.com/

Alternatively, I think the neat little Genesis is on sale right now too and that could be fun:
    https://genesismini.sega.com/

Personally, I love playing games from my childhood with my son. Our jam lately has been old computer point and click adventure games. Also been playing Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros (the OG version on the original hardware), and Mario Paint on the SNES. It's been so much fun sharing that experience with him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Tecmo Bowl....

Look for any of the Portal series (Portal, Portal 2, Portal: Still Alive) in the Xbox store. They were originally released on the Xbox 360 but a quick search online says they are backwards compatible on the Xbox One.

Video games to play with my son?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Buy the EXCELLENT Sega Genesis Classics for your system. It's cheap, includes a ton of great games from your youth, the interface is great, and is simply retro done right. The Rewind feature kicks ass too.

https://genesisclassics.sega.com/

Alternatively, I think the neat little Genesis is on sale right now too and that could be fun:
    https://genesismini.sega.com/

Personally, I love playing games from my childhood with my son. Our jam lately has been old computer point and click adventure games. Also been playing Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros (the OG version on the original hardware), and Mario Paint on the SNES. It's been so much fun sharing that experience with him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    My bro gifted me a re-issued Super Nintendo system which came preloaded with most of the classic games. It’s fun and cost him like $50-60 iirc. +2 on the Wii suggestion. Modern games and systems feel way too complicated from my outsider’s view. And I think kids enjoy playing the vintage games for at least a little while.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 04-18-2020 at 09:17 AM.

He's going to be better than you, try to find two person games you play as a team instead of each other otherwise he'll quickly get bored beating you every time. I suck at games but back in the day played the Halo series with friends, they basically carried me but we had fun, mostly a button pusher game.

Minecraft was fun.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Tecmo Bowl....
    Ha. I actually have the classic Nintendo system but Jerry jr. does not like to play with me as I kick his ass in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    My bro gifted me a re-issued Super Nintendo system which came pre-loaded with most of the classic games. It’s fun and cost him like $50-60 iirc. +2 on the Wii suggestion. Modern games and systems feel way too complicated from my outsider’s view. And I think kids enjoy playing the vintage games for at least a little while.
    Yea, I think I'm going to go with the nintendo classic route but don't kick his ass so quickly that he gets mad.

Mike Tyson Punch Out
    RBI Baseball (I just can't be national league all-stars)
    Mario
    Techmo Bowl (I can't be Bo Jackson)

What else?

Is there a grand theft auto game available?
    Nothing says father-son bonding like murdering hookers and gangsters.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

my gawd, he said for xbox1.........
    Name:  b2.JPG
Views: 2872
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  b 1.JPG
Views: 1396
Size:  89.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Look for any of the Portal series (Portal, Portal 2, Portal: Still Alive) in the Xbox store. They were originally released on the Xbox 360 but a quick search online says they are backwards compatible on the Xbox One.
    Oh, yes. Portal 1 and 2 are superb games and some of my all time favorites ever, but the co-op game in Portal 2 might be perfect for OP & Jr. I had a blast playing that one with my elder brother years ago. Holds up REALLY well these days. The graphics still look great and the humor in there is just SO darkly perfect. I still get a random chuckle out of it once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    Ha. I actually have the classic Nintendo system...
    Score! Time for Jerry Jr. to learn what games are REALLY made of. There's "hard" and then there's "NES hard." I had a lot of fun last year with my NES Classic revisiting Zelda 1, 2, and Star Tropics and FINALLY beating them after all these years. Save States FTMFW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Minecraft was fun.
    This is very true. You can get a lot of mileage out of Minecraft, particularly when you get into the red stone machines.

I’d recommend Rayman Legends or Sonic Racing for more mindless fun.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Try Rollercoaster Tycoon to encourage his business sense.
    There is a description of the game in Wikipedia. My son liked it at about your sons age.

I don’t know about xbox1 games but a couple cross platform games you two can team up on are War Robots and PUBG.

War Robots you have to form a clan to play together, for PUBG you just have to friend each other. Both games are free, zero ads and can be played on IOS, PC, phone, and tablet.

FIFA and Golf games are what I am looking at.
    I have a PS4 that we got for the kids. I don't really play anything.

I am thinking a game like Golden Tee would go over well with the kids.
    I an going to look into those Nintendo classics though. That would be awesome.

Space invaders or maybe pac man
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Space invaders or maybe pac man
    Pong?

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    FIFA and Golf games are what I am looking at.
    I have a PS4 that we got for the kids. I don't really play anything.

I am thinking a game like Golden Tee would go over well with the kids.
    I an going to look into those Nintendo classics though. That would be awesome.
    An excellent way to play damn near every classic vidya game ever for ~$100:

Buy a rasberry pi & a 64gb micro SD card for it (go bigger if you want, but the old ROM's are pretty small)

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...s%2C190&sr=1-2

Buy USB controllers for your preferred platforms
    https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-Cla...tronics&sr=1-3
    https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Contr...tronics&sr=1-4

Install RetroPie https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Find torrents of your favorite old games.

I have about 25gb of ROMs that includes every NES, SNES, Atari, NeoGeo, Genesis & N64 game, as well as a ton of MAME roms for old arcade games.

Fun & easy project. The hardest part is "scraping" all of the ROM's for their original cover art so everything looks pretty inside of RetroPie, and that's not very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    An excellent way to play damn near every classic vidya game ever for ~$100:

Buy a rasberry pi & a 64gb micro SD card for it (go bigger if you want, but the old ROM's are pretty small)

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...s%2C190&sr=1-2

Buy USB controllers for your preferred platforms
    https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-Cla...tronics&sr=1-3
    https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Contr...tronics&sr=1-4

Install RetroPie https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Find torrents of your favorite old games.

I have about 25gb of ROMs that includes every NES, SNES, Atari, NeoGeo, Genesis & N64 game, as well as a ton of MAME roms for old arcade games.

Fun & easy project. The hardest part is "scraping" all of the ROM's for their original cover art so everything looks pretty inside of RetroPie, and that's not very hard.
    I am all for doing things the hard way. I mean, I need a router table so I am trying to figure out how to build one myself, using a router. It is madness. But I already have a PS4. What you are suggesting is that I completely ignore the $400 useless machine I own, and start over? All for something I don't enjoy even half as much as I will enjoy using my router table? Madness.

I appreciate the info though, for somebody without a PS4.

The picture shows my 11 year old's collection of PG rated games for Xbox 1.

I'd be careful with the old EA games like FIFA 14. EA is an extraordinarily douchey company and doesn't support it's old games.

There are a lot of xbox 360 games that can be played on Xbox 1. Just check the list. There are also some O.G. Xbox games that play on Xbox 1, like Crimson Skies.

I was a Halo fan and I've let my kids play the firefight game mode on Halo-Reach, which will work on Xbox 1. Watch out for hard drive space on the Xbox 1.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200420_203311.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	325969

I agree with both Rocket League and Portal 2. Rocket League in particular has straightforward controls but a surprising amount of depth for a game that amounts to playing soccer with cars, and you can play on the same team against bots, or opposite teams. Halo: the Master Chief Collection would also give some good opportunities to team up together.