Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Look for any of the Portal series (Portal, Portal 2, Portal: Still Alive) in the Xbox store. They were originally released on the Xbox 360 but a quick search online says they are backwards compatible on the Xbox One.
    Portal
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I am all for doing things the hard way. I mean, I need a router table so I am trying to figure out how to build one myself, using a router. It is madness. But I already have a PS4. What you are suggesting is that I completely ignore the $400 useless machine I own, and start over? All for something I don't enjoy even half as much as I will enjoy using my router table? Madness.

I appreciate the info though, for somebody without a PS4.
    Whatever works for ya man. I didn't know NES classics and the like were available on PS4. We have one of those too, but my son & I still have a blast playing the NES games on the rasberry pi.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I an going to look into those Nintendo classics though. That would be awesome.
    Apparently not awesome enough to place an amazon order and spend 15 minutes with the google machine.

Put the power tools away before someone gets hurt.

The bots are getting stranger

COD MW. 50 bucks says me and my son will trounce yall.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Got my girls addicted to Street Fighter. The smack talk brings joy to my heart.
    We got the anniversary bundle with every Street Fighter ever made.

Looking forward to getting back into the baller lifestyle after this so I might want a plane. The new MS FS 2020 in 4K looks stunning.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    An excellent way to play damn near every classic vidya game ever for ~$100:

Buy a rasberry pi & a 64gb micro SD card for it (go bigger if you want, but the old ROM's are pretty small)

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...s%2C190&sr=1-2

Buy USB controllers for your preferred platforms
    https://www.amazon.com/Retroflag-Cla...tronics&sr=1-3
    https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Contr...tronics&sr=1-4

Install RetroPie https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Find torrents of your favorite old games.

I have about 25gb of ROMs that includes every NES, SNES, Atari, NeoGeo, Genesis & N64 game, as well as a ton of MAME roms for old arcade games.

Fun & easy project. The hardest part is "scraping" all of the ROM's for their original cover art so everything looks pretty inside of RetroPie, and that's not very hard.
    Well I certainly appreciated this post. Was bummed I missed out on the cheap Nintnedo classics release awhile back and have also been meaning to see what this raspberry pi world was all about. Have one and some controllers ordered, very excited for this project - thanks!

Tearing up the Golden Tee on my arcade1up.

Star wars and Galiga inbound.
    watch out for snakes

No one mentioned STEEP???

I play exactly ZERO video games and even I have fun playing that.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Super Smash Bros or Mario Cart on Nintendo Switch

x3 or whatever for Portal and RocketLeague.

They just re-released Tony Hawk Proskater 1 & 2 for Xbox 1. Same gameplay as the old game but with better graphics. Has been a fun one to get back to.

Anyone have any recommendations for the Nintendo Switch with a 6 year old? I've never been a gamer and I'd planned to hold out a bit longer, but we're stuck inside more than I'd like during the Vegas summer and about to embark on an excruciatingly long trip to see his Indian grandparents, so there will be lots. Plus, his 7 year old friend telling him about Minecraft has gotten us up to fairly strenuous 5 mile hikes, so I give it that.

So, any recommendations for multiplayer games that are fun and innocent enough for a 6 year old, but which won't bore an old person? I'm sure he'll be better than me in about a month, but still, I want to keep things fairly intuitive for his first games. Mariocart seems the standby, but anything else good?

We have Mario Kart and it is definitely a good one. We also have Mario vs Rabbids (too advanced, maybe), Monopoly/Risk/Trivial Pursuit (too advanced), Stardew Valley (slightly too advanced), Legend of Zelda (too advanced).

I think your best bet with a 6yo to start are racing and sports games.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    We have Mario Kart and it is definitely a good one. We also have Mario vs Rabbids (too advanced, maybe), Monopoly/Risk/Trivial Pursuit (too advanced), Stardew Valley (slightly too advanced), Legend of Zelda (too advanced).

I think your best bet with a 6yo to start are racing and sports games.
    That's what I was thinking. We were in Target today and he did seem to like one of the Mario platformers you could demo and it did have a two player mode, which made it easier in showing him what to do, so maybe some sports/racing games and something like that. He's really into basketball and soccer and I see there are some offerings.

I'm interesting in Zelda, partially just because I've read amazing things, but I'm afraid it might be too advanced for me. ha

Zelda is super cool, but neither my daughter nor I had the patience to put in the work.

If you're buying the switch, I would recommend buying a second controller (I went cheap and bought a wired one). If wireless and the controller feedback is important (the vibration stuff) you need to spend $, but the wired controller I got works fine and was like $20. I would also recommend getting this for travel. Oh, and buy a screen protector too.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Video games to play with my son?

Anybody want a Wii? and a bunch of games. Daughters are in college, it’s useless to us to now…

Make an offer to cover shipping and I’ll ship it out pronto…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1656637879.669221.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	420377
    Last edited by BC.; 06-30-2022 at 07:35 PM.

All the Nintendo games are fairly great. Mario Odyssey is fun, mario kart, mario party if you and others are willing to play with them. Pokemon is fun if they can read at all. If they're super active, they make a great boxing type game called Arms. My 7 year old loves stardew valley (also great for parents). If you want more traditional mario, super mario brothers u deluxe even has a character that doesn't get hurt by running into things.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    My 7 year old loves stardew valley
    My kid makes me play that, it's kinda boring but then she looks at me and says "I love playing Stardew Valley with you, dad", and I shut up.

I guess I could see a 7yo playing, though there are a few slightly weird/adult things. But there's only a few and they're only a little off, would go over a 7 yos head anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My kid makes me play that, it's kinda boring but then she looks at me and says "I love playing Stardew Valley with you, dad", and I shut up.

I guess I could see a 7yo playing, though there are a few slightly weird/adult things. But there's only a few and they're only a little off, would go over a 7 yos head anyway.
    My son mostly just raises chickens. It's super interesting to see what game he chooses to play in that and Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for the Nintendo Switch with a 6 year old? I've never been a gamer and I'd planned to hold out a bit longer, but we're stuck inside more than I'd like during the Vegas summer and about to embark on an excruciatingly long trip to see his Indian grandparents, so there will be lots. Plus, his 7 year old friend telling him about Minecraft has gotten us up to fairly strenuous 5 mile hikes, so I give it that.

So, any recommendations for multiplayer games that are fun and innocent enough for a 6 year old, but which won't bore an old person? I'm sure he'll be better than me in about a month, but still, I want to keep things fairly intuitive for his first games. Mariocart seems the standby, but anything else good?
    My 10yo son and 20yo daughter play Animal Crossings together and enjoy it.

I had a serious SOCOM addiction for a lot of years, after breaking free from that I was done with video games. It was pretty much the whole male video game culture that finally broke me free of it. Racism and misogyny are pretty widespread behind a faceless mic.

Minecraft is great but my boy prefers “Rocket League” cars + sports is a huge win.

Also the old school Nintendo games on the switch are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    My son mostly just raises chickens. It's super interesting to see what game he chooses to play in that and Minecraft.
    Heh, my daughter and I have a huge farm, with produce and chickens and cows and pigs and ducks and a fish pond and a mushroom cave. Plus we both are married with kids. Oh, and I also have a girlfriend on the side, lol.

We started with Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U at about that age. Both are multiplayer, and are available for the Switch. Super Mario 3D World co-op multiplayer was fun.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes also has a co-op multiplayer mode. It's an older game, but it was fun to use a walkthrough I found online to complete it. We tried a few of the other LEGO super hero games, but they didn't seem as good (frustrating controls, more glitches, etc.).

Breath of the Wild isn't multiplayer, but it sure is amazing. I think our son was 8-9 when he started playing BoTW more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Minecraft is great but my boy prefers “Rocket League” cars + sports is a huge win.

Also the old school Nintendo games on the switch are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Rocket League is a fun multi-player one.

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    We started with Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World on the Wii U at about that age. Both are multiplayer, and are available for the Switch. Super Mario 3D World co-op multiplayer was fun.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes also has a co-op multiplayer mode. It's an older game, but it was fun to use a walkthrough I found online to complete it. We tried a few of the other LEGO super hero games, but they didn't seem as good (frustrating controls, more glitches, etc.).

Breath of the Wild isn't multiplayer, but it sure is amazing. I think our son was 8-9 when he started playing BoTW more often.
    I think Super Mario 3D World was one of the games we played demos of in Target today which my son liked. Maybe we'll go for that.

I'm also tempted by Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga just because it looks like goofy fun for me and less difficult than Zelda.