Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As a counterpoint, people in cities can get absolutely anything delivered. Not so in lots of other places.
    Yeah, people are flocking to the big city for the Grubhub and 24hr Amazon delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Bozeman metro is what 100k+ people? City is 50k? Its still small. It doesn’t take many people to really change its character, but it doesn’t have room for everyone. metro-Atlantas been adding more than a Bozeman city a year in population.
    It's all perspective. For me, coming from a town with less than 2k, Bozeman feels huge. Hell, Steamboat feels huge. I mean, they even have stoplights. How do those work again?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a New Hampshire transplant. Just saying....
    Best skiers on the hill, amirite?
    Thought so, just saying....
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    It's all perspective. For me, coming from a town with less than 2k, Bozeman feels huge. Hell, Steamboat feels huge. I mean, they even have stoplights. How do those work again?
    As someone who actually lived in Los Angeles, I think it's hilarious when people actually call it Bozangeles.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    As someone who actually lived in Los Angeles, I think it's hilarious when people actually call it Bozangeles.
    You understand most people saying that have their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, correct? I actually grew up in DC.

yea it has. Being on the local boards for parents etc, it has opened my eyes to how ignorant and racist this town is.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Best skiers on the hill, amirite?
    Thought so, just saying....
    Best snowmakers for sure......best skiers is a pretty high bar, I'll say that most of them don't suck.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Would I rather be in the mountains? Sure. However, I have a job that's still paying me despite being slow, my Grocery, Drug, and liquor stores are 3 blocks from my house and all open (masks a must if you want to enter - big whoop) and my neighborhood is awesome. Stoop sitting while cocktailing at 5 on a Tuesday and chatting with neighbors walking by is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As a counterpoint, people in cities can get absolutely anything delivered. Not so in lots of other places.
    Hookers AND blow. Delivered.

We moved this winter from the end of a dead end road in a hundred acres of woods into the largest town in the state. We couldn’t be happier.

The grocery stores are stocked (yes, more than one grocery), we actually see people, there is more than one walking/biking route, the hospital is close if it comes to that, and we haven’t had snow in a month.

It would have been nice to be close to skiing like we were, but with the lockdown, access is limited anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Steamboat sucks, but I know you drive through Gunnison every once in a while for that "Big" city feel.

So with the exception of New Yorkers, everyone here is happy with where they live? That's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    We moved this winter from the end of a dead end road in a hundred acres of woods into the largest town in the state. We couldn’t be happier.

The grocery stores are stocked (yes, more than one grocery), we actually see people, there is more than one walking/biking route, the hospital is close if it comes to that, and we haven’t had snow in a month.

It would have been nice to be close to skiing like we were, but with the lockdown, access is limited anyway.
    Rut-Vegas, huh? Way down south.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    So with the exception of New Yorkers, everyone here is happy with where they live? That's amazing.
    If I lose my job and can't find more remote IT work, then my story might change. For now, it's great. Unfortunately, some fellow VTers aren't doing very well right now.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Rut-Vegas, huh? Way down south.
    A little closer. Actually, I could ride my bike to your place for a late lunch if I leave now.

I really thought there would be more people hanging out at the posh JH ranches UglyMoney speaks of in the other thread. Jackson is pretty quiet. If I was fabulously wealthy, without a doubt I’d sit shit out here. But that’s not the case. I think people are home right now and just because you have a house here, it’s not home.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    A little closer. Actually, I could ride my bike to your place for a late lunch if I leave now.
    Then it ain't the largest by land area!

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I really thought there would be more people hanging out at the posh JH ranches UglyMoney speaks of in the other thread. Jackson is pretty quiet. If I was fabulously wealthy, without a doubt I’d sit shit out here. But that’s not the case. I think people are home right now and just because you have a house here, it’s not home.
    Realize that many with a fancy JH ranch likely have another spot somewhere warm and secure as well that is not their permanent address to self isolate at.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Has covid made you question where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I think the "everyone is going to move to the boonies" streak in this thread is influenced by the fact that a lot of TGRers live in the boonies.
    sim comment about Bozeman being a “city”
    having a starbucks isn’t a qualification for urbanity

Cities have been more popular recently for a lot of reasons:
    Work opportunities
    Lesser commutes
    Walking lifestyles
    Amenities close at hand
    Busy public life
    Social diversity & opportunities
    Young people abandoning suburban car-centric lifestyles

That stuff isn’t changing

But it isn’t the TGR metric either, which absolutely swings more rural
    And there’s nothing wrong with that
    ...just don’t pretend this crowd is urban when the which nice shoe threads include which wildland firefighting boots or boat shoes go with “my good slacks”

Has covid made you question where you live?

Love where I live. Loved it before the pandemic. I can see the ocean form my kitchen sink. Walk/bike to the surf or drive 10 miles to surf alone or with a friend. Bike out the door to MTB trails people travel to. Don’t love biking, but it can be a fun diversion. Hike out my door as well. Short drive to more good to great hikes and bike trails. Far from skiing, but I’m used to the drive.

We bought on a cul de sac when the market bottomed out. Great lot, modest home. Great neighborhood. There are 6 homes on our court and two at the end. We all know each other and help each other out. This is the first place I loved since growing up in the 70/80s that has that feel. Like you could walk across the street and borrow a cup of sugar.

My kid is 8. Girl next door is 8. Her brother 5 and across the street there is a 4 yr old boy. Another 8 year old boy from around the corner. In other times they would all be outside playing in the evening and on summer days.

Housing is expensive here, but we bought low and have a lot of equity. We could sell and move almost anywhere other than SF or NYC. And not really considering the big city.

Walk into town. Short distance or grocery, hardware, dry cleaners, restaurants and bars. A mile to the movie theatre or book shop or downtown.

It is the perfect blend. My wife likes the big city. I prefer open space. My kid just thinks this is home.

Year long growing season makes for great gardening. I’m getting half my produce from the back yard right now.

We got just over 100 cases in he county even though we abut the local epicenter of Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco. So that is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    But it isn’t the TGR metric either, which absolutely swings more rural
    And there’s nothing wrong with that
    ...just don’t pretend this crowd is urban when the which nice shoe threads include which wildland firefighting boots or boat shoes go with “my good slacks”
    You own more than one pair of jeans? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    We got just over 100 cases in he county even though we abut the local epicenter of Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco. So that is a plus.
    I was reading your long post about how great things are, and I got to “100 cases”, and I was thinking “shit, he still has 100 cases in the cellar? I’m drinking mine down.”

I think the word for this whole thread is:

Smug.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    sim comment about Bozeman being a “city”
    having a starbucks isn’t a qualification for urbanity
    when I lived in PDX multiple residents told me it wasn’t “a real city” because of deficiencies in several factors you list. There’s some spectrum of living from Tokyo to a unabomber shack in the woods, and we all have our place on it, and yes the “ideal” here seems to be some remote worker gig from 20 acres in the boonies.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    when I lived in PDX multiple residents told me it wasn’t “a real city” because of deficiencies in several factors you list. There’s some spectrum of living from Tokyo to a unabomber shack in the woods, and we all have our place on it, and yes the “ideal” here seems to be some remote worker gig from 20 acres in the boonies.
    just visiting seattle makes portland feel provincial
    it's a scale, for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Love where I live. Loved it before the pandemic. I can see the ocean form my kitchen sink. Walk/bike to the surf or drive 10 miles to surf alone or with a friend. Bike out the door to MTB trails people travel to. Don’t love biking, but it can be a fun diversion. Hike out my door as well. Short drive to more good to great hikes and bike trails. Far from skiing, but I’m used to the drive.

We bought on a cul de sac when the market bottomed out. Great lot, modest home. Great neighborhood. There are 6 homes on our court and two at the end. We all know each other and help each other out. This is the first place I loved since growing up in the 70/80s that has that feel. Like you could walk across the street and borrow a cup of sugar.

My kid is 8. Girl next door is 8. Her brother 5 and across the street there is a 4 yr old boy. Another 8 year old boy from around the corner. In other times they would all be outside playing in the evening and on summer days.

Housing is expensive here, but we bought low and have a lot of equity. We could sell and move almost anywhere other than SF or NYC. And not really considering the big city.

Walk into town. Short distance or grocery, hardware, dry cleaners, restaurants and bars. A mile to the movie theatre or book shop or downtown.

It is the perfect blend. My wife likes the big city. I prefer open space. My kid just thinks this is home.

Year long growing season makes for great gardening. I’m getting half my produce from the back yard right now.

Where do you live?

I’m moving there

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums