Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Before everyone starts moving to mountain towns, let me remind you that some of them were the hardest hit by the virus. They're expensive, full of white people who literally stuff their range rovers full of TP and fruit boot around town in their masks. It's not all it's cracked up to be. We have more Seattlites than Seattle right now, and a heavy sprinkling of Utards, Bay Area folks and even Denvoids.

You'll escape nothing.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Question where I live?

Me?

Never! [/s]

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Before everyone starts moving to mountain towns, let me remind you that some of them were the hardest hit by the virus. They're expensive, full of white people who literally stuff their range rovers full of TP and fruit boot around town in their masks. It's not all it's cracked up to be. We have more Seattlites than Seattle right now, and a heavy sprinkling of Utards, Bay Area folks and even Denvoids.

You'll escape nothing.
    well, that's why I want to move to a mountain town far away from any city.

But I took this debate to not just be about where is the safest place to be re the virus.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Lets see.....my nearest neighbor is 1 mile away and that's my brother, town 12 miles. I have a very simple trail system 12 miles away, 20 something miles of single track in sagebrush and rocks, ski resort 50 miles away, Leave on a gravel bike and ride a mix of gravel/pavement for 60 + mile loop and find maybe 5/6 stop signs. Nope, Im happy.

I am betting that a lot of apartment renters will be buying a bigger house ASAP though.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Question where I live?

Me?

Never! [/s]
    Since long before ratflu.

Has covid made you question where you live?

Why anyone, would live anywhere, other than New Hampshire is beyond me.
    603 Motherfuckers
    Take a lap
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Why anyone, would live anywhere, other than New Hampshire is beyond me.
    603 Motherfuckers
    Take a lap
    Huff glue much? Yeah, thought so.

Anyway, I'm very very thankful I live where I do and not Smithers.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Through some challenging circumstances we've ended up in Western Washington for the last four weeks, laying low at my wife's family "compound" (40 acres of second growth forest, 1000' waterfront, orchard/greenhouse, wells) on the Olympic Penninsula. My wife inherited her grandmas small, 1bd loft cabin/house on the compound, so we have our own space to be, while being in walking distance of her parents and two sets of aunt/uncles.

We left Aspen 5 weeks ago on a planned trip and weren't able to make it back in a feasible manner. We've now delayed our return because of the murkiness of the actual situation there and the now-challenging logistics of driving or flying back (we have 7mo old twins). I wouldn't say we're questioning continuing to live in aspen (8 years, 12 total in CO), but being here has given us some insight to a different, rural out-of-the-fray life. We both grew up here and have always loved it, but Aspen has been amazing to live in. Maybe Aspen will change, maybe it will come back; time will tell!

I felt grateful to be here, every single day before this peace craze. Even more so now. This is home. Oncoming wave with a finger. Out the end of a county road, 3/4 mile to the mailbox, 30 minutes to small town. 3 cuts of hay. In the heart of my mountains. Maybe no fancy restaurants or plays or museums - that's ok by me. I'm just not wired for cities or crowds.
    'Social distancing' and 'self isolation?' Meh, just putting a name to it.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Through some challenging circumstances we've ended up in Western Washington for the last four weeks, laying low at my wife's family "compound" (40 acres of second growth forest, 1000' waterfront, orchard/greenhouse, wells) on the Olympic Penninsula. My wife inherited her grandmas small, 1bd loft cabin/house on the compound, so we have our own space to be, while being in walking distance of her parents and two sets of aunt/uncles.

We left Aspen 5 weeks ago on a planned trip and weren't able to make it back in a feasible manner. We've now delayed our return because of the murkiness of the actual situation there and the now-challenging logistics of driving or flying back (we have 7mo old twins). I wouldn't say we're questioning continuing to live in aspen (8 years, 12 total in CO), but being here has given us some insight to a different, rural out-of-the-fray life. We both grew up here and have always loved it, but Aspen has been amazing to live in. Maybe Aspen will change, maybe it will come back; time will tell!
    Sounds awesome. Like your own personal bug out compound. Sorry to find these things out like everyone else it's under these devastating circumstances. Congrats on the twins.

East Tennessee is not bad. Still working because legal services are OK to do. Three of us in the office and all of us are limiting contact w/ people. My county is the fifth largest in Tennessee with a population of a little over 150,000. Today we have 45 cases in the county. College town nearby with about the same.

Happy to be here. We can still fish, hunt, and get outdoors.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Love where I live but that is changing with the influx of people to mid-market towns (Boise). The virus hasn't made me think of moving but I think more people will move here because of it once the dust settles. I grew up in a small Idaho town (pop. 882) and will go back to something similar someday as Boise becomes more of what I don't like. We'll see what impact the pandemic has on my timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Sounds awesome. Like your own personal bug out compound. Sorry to find these things out like everyone else it's under these devastating circumstances. Congrats on the twins.
    It's been a really nice place to come to over the last 15 years, and has always been in my mind as the doomsday escape place. Kinda crazy how our situation brought us here as all the COVID stuff started to unfold. The last few weeks have been great, having zero contact with society besides a weekly store run

Like the title states. Having been used to frequent and cheap travel for most of my adult life, has being at home made you question good or bad if you should go somewhere else?

Living in NC and skiing quite a bit in Utah season after season, I was surprised that I’ve rediscovered stuff close to home. Hitting some national parks that still have access for some spring turkey hunting, won a lottery permit for a long leaf pine forest game land turkey hunt with my sons, shopping for a boat and generally fishing more have me appreciating NC recreational activities.
    This spring despite a pandemic has been glorious weather wise. Like a cruel joke.

How about the rest, like and appreciate where you are? Looking for greener pastures when this is over? Rethinking flying all the time for fun?
    My experience with outdoor activities has been a bit different in the RDU area. All of the local state parks have been closed (goodbye decent trail running and flatwater paddling). Best beaches within a couple hours have all been closed. Been tough recreationally but the supply chain here has held up well for groceries with uncrowded stores and I won the Harris Teeter lottery this morning with two containers of generic Lysol wipes. Just realized this morning I hadn't gassed up the Jeep in over a month. Rethinking where we live a bit but still will likely fly for skiing because I like warm weather and when I moved from a mountain town in CO to NC my motto was "I'd rather live with the hee-haw's than ski with them" and my ski trips since living here have been sublime and living east puts me much closer to the Alps and Japan is a long ass flight regardless. Being 20 minutes from a good airport beats 2 mountain passes and I-70 to Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post

You'll escape nothing.
    You're in Blaine County Rev? Tough spot right now - got hammered by visitor-carriers.

Did they ever trace back to patient zero there? I read it was a second-home owner from Seattle riding a SV gondola with some locals, but didn't do a shitload of research to confirm.

Stay Healthy!

Nope no question I like it here in Red Cliff can skin out the backdoor and take a few laps though the trees, the river is in the backyard by the fire pit. I've always dug living in a small town, 12 miles to Vail or 13 to work which is (well was) in Beaver Creek (race crew).
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by topwater View Post
    My experience with outdoor activities has been a bit different in the RDU area. All of the local state parks have been closed (goodbye decent trail running and flatwater paddling). Best beaches within a couple hours have all been closed. Been tough recreationally but the supply chain here has held up well for groceries with uncrowded stores and I won the Harris Teeter lottery this morning with two containers of generic Lysol wipes. Just realized this morning I hadn't gassed up the Jeep in over a month. Rethinking where we live a bit but still will likely fly for skiing because I like warm weather and when I moved from a mountain town in CO to NC my motto was "I'd rather live with the hee-haw's than ski with them" and my ski trips since living here have been sublime and living east puts me much closer to the Alps and Japan is a long ass flight regardless. Being 20 minutes from a good airport beats 2 mountain passes and I-70 to Denver.
    I'm lucky having a family farm to retreat to about 1 hour away in SC. Can get my fix of shooting and hunting on private land and fish and ride the Polaris Rangers. I also live outside Charlotte and have access to another 120 acre farm about 5 minutes from the house to go blow off steam as well.

We (partner and I) have already been questioning where we live. This place is fine to ride out the pandemic but we're still working on the exit strategy. Hopefully the flocking of folks to this town won't slow down too much and we can cash out.

National Brotherhood of Skiers was at SV at the onset too. Lots of people from a lot of places that travel a lot that all descended in Ketchum at once.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    We (partner and I) have already been questioning where we live. This place is fine to ride out the pandemic but we're still working on the exit strategy. Hopefully the flocking of folks to this town won't slow down too much and we can cash out.
    What area is that if you don't mind me asking?

What area is that if you don't mind me asking?
    Bozeman, I moved from the Front Range of CO (I know I'm part of the problem) eight years ago. I like it here and could stay for a while but as someone with first hand experience in Boulder this place is headed in that direction too fast for me. My partner and I are tired of the cold, longish winters. I'd rather live somewhere with bouldering (climbing) closer and she'd rather have a longer growing season for gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

But I took this debate to not just be about where is the safest place to be re the virus.
    yes, that was my interpretation too. As with 9/11 and maybe even more so, "these unprecedented times" cause folks to re-evaluate things on many levels, not just virus prevalence.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    East Tennessee is not bad. Still working because legal services are OK to do. Three of us in the office and all of us are limiting contact w/ people. My county is the fifth largest in Tennessee with a population of a little over 150,000. Today we have 45 cases in the county. College town nearby with about the same.

Happy to be here. We can still fish, hunt, and get outdoors.
    Hey, i grew up in that county. Go Vikes.

I've always questioned how got stuck in SLC but the answers to that question annoy me so I try to not care. COVID has made me evaluate my property features though, in the sense of what if this lasts a long time, or if it happens again with the flu and is much worse. How do I make shit better at home?

-With 2 young kids, How do I make them less bored? This month I've built an obstacle course and trying to build a treehouse. I'll probably get a backyard playground set too now this whole summer looks kinda shitty.

-And how do I make it safer? Years ago someone was in my backyard and my dogs chased them off, but one dog got cut up in the process most likely by a knife, and pretty bad. So with that incident and drug addicts losing their jobs this year in huge numbers, I'm thinking of installing 6' fences around the place this summer. Getting a gate for the driveway too, as petty crime goes up. Neighbor always gets his car in his driveway broken in anyways.

We already have a large, dialed garden and a nice grilling spot, so that's covered.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Bozeman, I moved from the Front Range of CO (I know I'm part of the problem) eight years ago. I like it here and could stay for a while but as someone with first hand experience in Boulder this place is headed in that direction too fast for me. My partner and I are tired of the cold, longish winters. I'd rather live somewhere with bouldering (climbing) closer and she'd rather have a longer growing season for gardening.
    goddam, you've been there 8 years? I remember when you were still a Franger. Fuck, time flies.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy