Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 195
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,255

    Has covid made you question where you live?

    Like the title states. Having been used to frequent and cheap travel for most of my adult life, has being at home made you question good or bad if you should go somewhere else?

    Living in NC and skiing quite a bit in Utah season after season, I was surprised that Iíve rediscovered stuff close to home. Hitting some national parks that still have access for some spring turkey hunting, won a lottery permit for a long leaf pine forest game land turkey hunt with my sons, shopping for a boat and generally fishing more have me appreciating NC recreational activities.
    This spring despite a pandemic has been glorious weather wise. Like a cruel joke.

    How about the rest, like and appreciate where you are? Looking for greener pastures when this is over? Rethinking flying all the time for fun?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    9,489
    Nope I feel lucky to be where I am.
    Haven't been in an airplane in six years. Do not miss it
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Like the title states. Having been used to frequent and cheap travel for most of my adult life, has being at home made you question good or bad if you should go somewhere else?

    Living in NC and skiing quite a bit in Utah season after season, I was surprised that I’ve rediscovered stuff close to home. Hitting some national parks that still have access for some spring turkey hunting, won a lottery permit for a long leaf pine forest game land turkey hunt with my sons, shopping for a boat and generally fishing more have me appreciating NC recreational activities.
    This spring despite a pandemic has been glorious weather wise. Like a cruel joke.

    How about the rest, like and appreciate where you are? Looking for greener pastures when this is over? Rethinking flying all the time for fun?
    Nah. Already went down that path 15 years ago when divorced at 39 w no kids and had the option to go anywhere. Decided then that what was important to me, more so than ever in a stressful time, was proximity to relationships. This only reinforces that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,444
    I'm moving soon, but I'm in a great place to ride out a pandemic. Good community and decent outdoor options where you can be far from people. So I guess it has made me a bit sad to leave as it's served well for this go round.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,550
    I was supposed to move 2 months ago but life kinda got in the way and then boom, quarantine at both places so I got a chance to have an unexpected spring here. It's super nice around here. Mid-Atlantic springs and falls are beautiful. Summer and winter suck but that's another story. But it's been really nice being right in place as spring has opened up every day, with nowhere to go and time to experience it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,745
    It has not. Really glad I and my parents don't live in and around NYC right now.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Coast of the East Coast
    Posts
    6,665
    With less than 5 cases still in my zip code, I am really happy with my location so far.
    Having 24 hour access to my boat has been a godsend, as it has become our own little floating island on the weekends.
    BTW- hot weather doesn't kill this thing.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    1,998
    I still want to get out of the city eventually, but the Salt Lake valley has been a pretty decent place to be so far. Thankful we have been able to keep our trailheads and canyons open so far.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    92
    Our plan has been to move to a smaller place in a few years. This whole thing has only reinforced that desire.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    49,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Single Track View Post
    Our plan has been to move to a smaller place in a few years. This whole thing has only reinforced that desire.
    That's what we're doing but for now I'm pretty glad we have a lot of space here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,349
    I'm pretty damn happy I decided to move to a tiny town in montana last year. Apparently 0 cases but who is testing? But made the decision to cut all the expenses I could and live as cheap as possible. Working out so far.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    flatland
    Posts
    2,992
    Only substantially affirming what I already knew. Having to work 25% harder to maintain the same standard of living as the other 75% of Americans just so I can live 30 miles from the epicenter of the universe (inclusive of the Coronisphere). 35 miles from mass grave sites and one town East of an old age home stacking 17 dead in a 4 person meat locker (until someone thought to rent a refrigerated trailer today) is not the place I want to be spending the last good years of my life.

    Work?... at an ďAll StopĒ Ė I have an open-end standing PO for 36k face masks and protective shields and no access to any semi-hard polymerí for at least 18 more days and as much as 46 and have to commit to single sheet pricing tomorrow; which is just an extension of the cut-throat mentality to be a successful concern in this region and is endemic of every vertical market in this semi defined vortex of servitude to materialism.

    Recently moved to within 600m of a snow canon to make a couple of more years (recently divorced with a son anchored by school and familial attachments) here bearable...
    "knowledgeable in escapades of the flesh"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Queen City North Carolina
    Posts
    1,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Only substantially affirming what I already knew. Having to work 25% harder to maintain the same standard of living as the other 75% of Americans just so I can live 30 miles from the epicenter of the universe (inclusive of the Coronisphere). 35 miles from mass grave sites and one town East of an old age home stacking 17 dead in a 4 person meat locker (until someone thought to rent a refrigerated trailer today) is not the place I want to be spending the last good years of my life.

    Work?... at an “All Stop” – I have an open-end standing PO for 36k face masks and protective shields and no access to any semi-hard polymer’ for at least 18 more days and as much as 46 and have to commit to single sheet pricing tomorrow; which is just an extension of the cut-throat mentality to be a successful concern in this region and is endemic of every vertical market in this semi defined vortex of servitude to materialism.

    Recently moved to within 600m of a snow canon to make a couple of more years (recently divorced with a son anchored by school and familial attachments) here bearable...
    Damn sorry to read this. Sounds like you’re a dad stuck in NJ by your very descriptive writing. Hang in there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,806
    Moving to Montana, gonna get a pink arm band.
    watch out for snakes

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    in a box on the porch
    Posts
    4,493
    ^to farm dental floss?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Basel
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Only substantially affirming what I already knew. Having to work 25% harder to maintain the same standard of living as the other 75% of Americans just so I can live 30 miles from the epicenter of the universe (inclusive of the Coronisphere). 35 miles from mass grave sites and one town East of an old age home stacking 17 dead in a 4 person meat locker (until someone thought to rent a refrigerated trailer today) is not the place I want to be spending the last good years of my life.

    Work?... at an “All Stop” – I have an open-end standing PO for 36k face masks and protective shields and no access to any semi-hard polymer’ for at least 18 more days and as much as 46 and have to commit to single sheet pricing tomorrow; which is just an extension of the cut-throat mentality to be a successful concern in this region and is endemic of every vertical market in this semi defined vortex of servitude to materialism.

    Recently moved to within 600m of a snow canon to make a couple of more years (recently divorced with a son anchored by school and familial attachments) here bearable...
    Sounds like you are in New Jersey. I left there about 9 years ago. I miss the pizza, but I will trade it for the Swiss Alps. I quit working in NYC before I had kids, the only thing I missed was the food.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    13,399
    "Raising it up, waxing it down".

    We live in a really nice area and frankly it could only be better if it was within 1 hour of great skiing. I doubt that will ever happen for me, so I just need to appreciate what we have. I know my wife and kids love it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by sharcsplean View Post
    Sounds like you are in New Jersey. I left there about 9 years ago. I miss the pizza, but I will trade it for the Swiss Alps. I quit working in NYC before I had kids, the only thing I missed was the food.
    Well, ok, I might relocate if the Swiss alps were an option. I might take that over relationships.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE USA
    Posts
    2,407
    Charlotte's a fine place. Easy access to NC mountains and while they suck for skiing, there is world-class whitewater and some stunningly beautiful lakes.

    I always thought I'd head west "later" didn't appreciate how important knee cartilage would be. So I've made peace and am happy with the beach. YMMV.
    "Can't you see..."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    21,765
    Not covid, another disease: Amazon.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    4,180
    I love where I live. I don't have mountains where I live so skiing is not convenient, but have plenty of space for most of my other outdoor pursuits. I'm close to the cottage and live outside the city (small that may be to some of you). I'm minutes from large chunks of public lands to run and train my dogs and hunt, mountain bike, and take my boat out fishing. If I want bigger water I'm close to Lake Michigan.

    Working from home has been an adjustment, but setting up a schedule and specific space to work has helped a lot. No field work has been a bummer though. I miss going into the field and walking in streams and the woods to conduct habitat assessments, but at least I'm still working.


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eburg
    Posts
    13,335
    Covid-19 has made me thankful for where I live

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    23,004
    I'm thankful where I live, certainly confirms that living in Boulder is better than Denver for me, even if I work in Denver (WFH right now).

    It has also confirmed that I would rather live in a smallish mountain town, that has been on my agenda for a long time. Yes, in some ways I might endanger myself with higher CV rates, but I'd really love to have skiing and mt biking out my back door or close to it. Right now, I have very close good hiking but no skiing and biking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,843
    Straight out of college I moved to where I wanted to live and figured out the work and money part second. Skiing involves putting on my ski boots in my mud room and then walking 20' to click in. Singletrack is about 50' away. It's working for me.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    20,375
    no, moving here and then buying-in was good idea, I was ahead of the amenity migrant curve
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •