Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    He's in Santa Cruz, I think. Indeed, it's quite nice there. Except that, if you need to drive to/from the real Bay Area, the highway over the hill is kind of nasty, what with all the crazed drivers, who, being non-mellow, must be from Capitola or something.

I'm in mid-peninsula now. I can't complain, but around now, I wish I was back in Marin (I really miss living in Fairfax, and Corte Madera and Sausalito living weren't bad either) for all the hiking, biking, and bandit-camping options that far exceed what I have to work with around here. Though there are some decent (if getting repetitive) hiking and biking options where I am. Mid-pen has near-perfect weather for not really needing A/C, and not even needing to run the heater about half the year. Great access to services. Kind of a drag getting to skiing, mainly because it can take hours to break through or around the various urban bottlenecks.

Am I the only person who cringes at “perfect weather” ?

I like snow, wind, rain, clouds, sun, heat, I want all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

I cringe at a Californian's definition of perfect weather, yes. But I think places like Durango and Salida have perfect weather, because they have all of what you list, but not in extremes, and the year-round norm is outside recreation weather proper for that season.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Exactly. I don’t want Arizona heat or SE coast storms but a nice middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    and yes the “ideal” here seems to be some remote worker gig from 20 acres in the boonies.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...9-jer-sighting

Right there with you. But, again, we are a bunch of mountain people. Most people I know outside of skiing hate anything besides 80 and sunny. Personally, I love walking the dogs in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    He's in Santa Cruz, I think. Indeed, it's quite nice there. Except that, if you need to drive to/from the real Bay Area, the highway over the hill is kind of nasty, what with all the crazed drivers, who, being non-mellow, must be from Capitola or something.

I'm in mid-peninsula now. I can't complain, but around now, I wish I was back in Marin (I really miss living in Fairfax, and Corte Madera and Sausalito living weren't bad either) for all the hiking, biking, and bandit-camping options that far exceed what I have to work with around here. Though there are some decent (if getting repetitive) hiking and biking options where I am. Mid-pen has near-perfect weather for not really needing A/C, and not even needing to run the heater about half the year. Great access to services. Kind of a drag getting to skiing, mainly because it can take hours to break through or around the various urban bottlenecks.
    what is your take on Salinas?

anybody?

Great mtn biking at Fort Ord, surf perch fly fishing nearby.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

anybody?
    Foggy and windy in the spring and summer. Public schools are a minus. Great pig hunting in the hills if you can get access.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    just visiting seattle makes portland feel provincial
    it's a scale, for sure
    Oh it definitely is in some ways, but in others (good food, good booze) it’s way oversupplied vs comparable citys in size. That’s kinda a theme here where people think their resort/vacation areas are comparably oversupplied for their size are representative of a small place.

Salinas? flat, farm and service workers. crime & murder has been decreasing. That was the city of Salinas. Other areas nearby can be quite different.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 04-22-2020 at 01:07 PM.

anybody?
    I grew up between there and Monterey. What do you want to know?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Has covid made you question where you live?

anybody?
    I love that area. Surprisingly high in livability rankings. Could live there for sure.

Not as cold as coast. Monterey cold a lot.

Yes, Santa Cruz. Smug, maybe, not trying to be. I drove here from NYC about 25 years ago with maybe $100 in my pocket. Made a space for myself. Lived in this towns version of a slum (mushrooms growing through broken tile in the bathroom shower) for 8 months when I first got here to get my feet under me. Never meant to stay, but kept extending things. Now my kid is growing up here. Bought a house when the market was down, and never regretted. And in this current state of things, feel very fortunate. And no buyers remorse at all.

We miss traveling. Road trips to other great parts of the west, and visits to friends and family on the east coast and in Europe. But those trips were limited anyway. Cost of housing here is quite high, and we aren't rich. High School Teacher and a Chef. But I think it is worth it that my newest skis were bought 5 seasons ago 2nd hand. I can give up on that kind of stuff, make shit last, and pay my mortgage. Being stuck at home has made me like home even more. Feeling lucky.

Weather wise, things are pretty good here. I'd prefer snow in winter, or closer by. Summers can be brutal if the fog bank sticks around for weeks. But Pinnacles is 90 minutes away and the campground has a pool.

I'd live near Salinas. I like Watsonville better. A friend lives on his apple farm there, has gorgeous rural valley and mountain and sliver of ocean views and is a 10 minute drive into town, twenty from he surf (30 if he wants the points in SC). My wife wants to be in town, so she can walk to a bookstore (city girl for sure).

Once things settle down I plan to take my kid down to bike around Fort Ord.

The surf at Marina can get sick in winter. Kind of like Puerto but cold as fuck with white sharks roaming around.

I meant smug for the whole thread. I completely get it. Why would you live in a place if you didn’t like it?
    Mrs. Plug and I are keenly aware of how lucky we are right now.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I meant smug for the whole thread. I completely get it. Why would you live in a place if you didn’t like it?
    Mrs. Plug and I are keenly aware of how lucky we are right now.
    not to mention that this is a self-selected community that probably focuses of the geographical characteristics of where we are more than most.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’ll ask my younger sister this question. They live in Auburn, VA. Which is about as suburban as you can get. Housing tract developments surrounded by boulevards and the occasional strip mall with chain restaurants. They live there because her husband works contracts between government and private business. He used to go into the office but works remotely now. They love the sports programs there that their boys participate in. None are going to the MLB, but they love the competitive environment. Now that they are all at home, wonder what they are thinking. They used to travel a good bit and liked being close to Dulles. Now they are just close to Rubios.

Well, you'll note that I specified which particular flavor of "perfect" I meant. I sure do like snow. If I wasn't tied down to the Bay Area in a few different ways, I'd definitely prefer to live somewhere in the Sierra, whether near-crest, foothills, or just east of it. But again, I have no complaints about the SF Peninsula; some locales could be better, but I'm happy here.

anybody?
    I would also recommend Salinas.

been going out to Monterey the past several summers so have been in Salinas a few times. the location is good if you like that area and climate and not as price as nearly everything else around.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I grew up between there and Monterey. What do you want to know?
    There is a possibility of me getting a dream job that pays north of 110K. I am pretty much wiped out financially. Am I going to be able to get by?

Am I going to ski? How far is it to decent skiing? I used to kayak surf. Am I going to get my ass kicked?

I am used to the Seattle area and Chico, CA. I found folks really nice. Am I going to be ostracized because I am from the NE. When I lived in Seattle everyone was surprised when I said I was from NY. I don't fit the stereo type because I am from upstate and reasonably chill and I don't have a thick accent

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    not to mention that this is a self-selected community that probably focuses of the geographical characteristics of where we are more than most.
    Geographic hubris I believe was the term coined here long ago.
    I still call it The Jake.

Great, governor is running for Senate so he's trying to appease hard right morons who wouldn't vote for him anyway by rolling out an end to the lockdowns at least a week too early.
    We in Montana and other places are in the Feeling Better But Still Need to Keep Taking Those Antibiotics phase. And that isn't just might opinion; that's the opinion of public health officials, including one I am related to.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Right there with you. But, again, we are a bunch of mountain people. Most people I know outside of skiing hate anything besides 80 and sunny. Personally, I love walking the dogs in the rain.
    Sigh...that is my family. I love them all, but after 35 years in the same spot, which is great for them, I would so like to move to where I have all the weather and skiing within 60 minutes away. I don't want to complain as I am blessed, but
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Sigh...that is my family. I love them all, but after 35 years in the same spot, which is great for them, I would so like to move to where I have all the weather and skiing within 60 minutes away. I don't want to complain as I am blessed, but
    At least you are "at the beach." Life could always be worse. Summers here are brutal in the valley with limited water access. Only bugs me during the work week though.

Right there with you. Most of our family is on the coast or Vancouver Is. My sisters 'hate' the cold, even the one in Victoria - Ha, I bug sister and inlaws all the time that I think Victoria is the coldest place in the province, always under 15C and a cold breeze off the strait.
    I prefer temperate in the summer, and love winter days/nights between -10C and -25C. It's a bit hotter in Wells Gray in the summer than I like (a month >30C), though, but it usually comes in slow enough to acclimatize. . Father in Nelson area, by the lake, has it really nice, but they are losing their winters at valley bottom the past few decades. No tornados or hurricanes in the mountains.
    And I've worked in the woods for so long that being wet to the skin at least part of the day isn't something I even notice anymore.