Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I've tried resizing, rotating and gave up
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

I’m good, thanks, in northern NM. Though the area’s tentative status as first world is kind of a challenge, it’s also something of a blessing at times. COVID hasn’t been as bad here as other places, remarkably.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I live in Durango and it’s pretty easy to follow the “recreate close to home” rule. I have hundreds of miles of singletrack within a few minutes of riding out my driveway.
    I don’t think I’ve ever had so many April miles as I have during c19. Despite all the sadness and uncertainty, I’ve been pretty stoked.

So glad I don’t live anywhere else.
    This is pretty much me too. I’ve really been enjoying this lockdown. Confirmed my choice to live here. Great singletrack out the door and ski touring 20 min drive away. More than happy to ‘stay in my community’. Lots of organic farmers nearby which is nice generally and for apocalypse scenarios.

I just wish we had more backcountry gravel riding options and a larger volume of local singletrack.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    heavy sprinkling of Utards, .
    I was waiting until my UT plates expired in April to get some 5Bs, but the Hailey DMV has been closed. My part time move in Oct turned into a full time move when my marriage plotzed in Dec.
    I feel like such a jabroni driving around with UT plates....I need a disclaimer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Back in aspen after driving 32 hours back from SW Florida and have to say it feels safe and healthy. Great vibe around town and people seem friendlier than usual. Lots of folks walking around and the restaurants have gotten creative with takeout food/drinks. Tough economic times ahead but the mountains are still here. Last week's 17" dump was sweet and was back to running in tshirt and shorts today. This place has to be the uphill capital of America btw - crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Bee whare u r at.
    watch out for snakes

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    It has just reinforced the fact that I am glad to be exactly where I'm at. I do think in 12 months or maybe longer when the dust starts to settle we will see the already-growing-too-fast towns in the intermountain west go even crazier with growth.

This will be the catalyst for the upper end of the dwindling middle class and big bag holders to finally pull their families out of Chicago, Dallas, NYC, SF, etc etc. You can do Zoom meetings from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It has just reinforced the fact that I am glad to be exactly where I'm at. I do think in 12 months or maybe longer when the dust starts to settle we will see the already-growing-too-fast towns in the intermountain west go even crazier with growth.

This will be the catalyst for the upper end of the dwindling middle class and big bag holders to finally pull their families out of Chicago, Dallas, NYC, SF, etc etc. You can do Zoom meetings from anywhere.
    As a counterpoint, people in cities can get absolutely anything delivered. Not so in lots of other places.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As a counterpoint, people in cities can get absolutely anything delivered. Not so in lots of other places.
    and hospitals. I think the "everyone is going to move to the boonies" streak in this thread is influenced by the fact that a lot of TGRers live in the boonies.

It seems like a thing, though. My daughter lives in NYC and she bailed early to here and she's pretty sketched at the thought of going back and apparently a number of her friends feel the same way.

Times did a piece on it a few days ago, and I saw a little mention yesterday somewhere...it's kind of in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    and hospitals. I think the "everyone is going to move to the boonies" streak in this thread is influenced by the fact that a lot of TGRers live in the boonies.
    While not a popular choice among most here I love where I live and this isn’t going to change that. I love living in a big city where I have world class amenities, healthcare and growth that will continue even after this mess.

I like having 4 seasons and I still get them in a great city in a forest, but having grown up on the North Coast I’m sick of endless cold and grey days if they’re not on skis. So I’ll take the warmth any day and fly to snow. 3 hours to Hilton Head door to door and an hour north to the AT and lakes. Wanna get away? The (as of 4 weeks ago) busiest airport in the nation is a 25 minutes on the train.

That said, it’s noticeable how much we were heading to the mountains or HHI when this all started and avoiding the city - before the beaches and trailheads all got shut down. I’d say we’ll end up permanently in either sooner than later but with a kindergartner I don’t see it happening for at least 8 years. /shrug.
    I still call it The Jake.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I'm not talking boonies. Bozangeles is far from boonies. It gives people the "mountain town feel" but it still has Starbucks and a really nice (actually way nicer than any Whole Foods) CO-OP and a real hospital.

Big towns like that, which already had "too much" growth, will see even more in my un-educated opinion. Slight blip and then the a big wave again. Every agent I know is saying the same thing, "I've got three clients with cash who have just been waiting for this...." Insurance sales from the midwest, tech people from Austin, medical sales people from Boston, etc etc. Many of them are busier than ever and licking their chops waiting for a few price drops. I could be totally wrong though.

We're looking to buy a house for a move and my wife was reevaluating our yard size needs in case we end up quarantined again. So that's not necessarily where we want to live town/country wise, but where we will choose on a smaller scale.

Blessed to be where I live. Be Best!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm not talking boonies. Bozangeles is far from boonies. It gives people the "mountain town feel" but it still has Starbucks and a really nice (actually way nicer than any Whole Foods) CO-OP and a real hospital.

Big towns like that, which already had "too much" growth, will see even more in my un-educated opinion. Slight blip and then the a big wave again. Every agent I know is saying the same thing, "I've got three clients with cash who have just been waiting for this...." Insurance sales from the midwest, tech people from Austin, medical sales people from Boston, etc etc. Many of them are busier than ever and licking their chops waiting for a few price drops. I could be totally wrong though.
    Bozeman metro is what 100k+ people? City is 50k? Its still small. It doesn’t take many people to really change its character, but it doesn’t have room for everyone. metro-Atlantas been adding more than a Bozeman city a year in population.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    And we're skiers and bikers, we're all people who seek mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It seems like a thing, though. My daughter lives in NYC and she bailed early to here and she's pretty sketched at the thought of going back and apparently a number of her friends feel the same way.

Times did a piece on it a few days ago, and I saw a little mention yesterday somewhere...it's kind of in the air.
    No doubt. I do think there will be some adjustments. But the museums and concerts and theaters are still in the cities. It may take a while to normalize, but for everyone looking to permanently escape Manhattan, someone will take their place.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

But the museums and concerts and theaters are still in the cities. It may take a while to normalize, but for everyone looking to permanently escape Manhattan, someone will take their place.
    Yeah, but, what happens in that maybe two to three year period when all that makes Manhattan cool doesn't exist? Then there's the incredible loss of tax revenue that may send NYC back to 1976, with Trump holding the rescue purse strings. He can't wait to fuck over the city that hates him, now that he moved to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, what happens in that maybe two to three year period when all that makes Manhattan cool doesn't exist? Then there's the incredible loss of tax revenue that may send NYC back to 1976, with Trump holding the rescue purse strings. He can't wait to fuck over the city that hates him, now that he moved to Florida.
    It's New York, dude, it's not going away. The stock market isn't going anywhere, the Met isn't going anywhere, MoMA, the Yankees, etc. I'm not saying it's not gonna be tough for a while, but I have more faith in NYC rebounding than other major cities.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Why anyone, would live anywhere, other than New Hampshire is beyond me.
    603 Motherfuckers
    Take a lap
    Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a New Hampshire transplant. Just saying....
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

It's New York, dude, it's not going away. The stock market isn't going anywhere, the Met isn't going anywhere, MoMA, the Yankees, etc. I'm not saying it's not gonna be tough for a while, but I have more faith in NYC rebounding than other major cities.
    Don’t disagree, but just remember that the Dow Jones is owned by an Atlanta couple, one of which was appointed to the Senate by Governor Kemp within the last couple years. NYC ain’t going anywhere (They just gonna be working remotely from the sun belt, lol) despite what our boy Eeyore says. Love you Benny
    I still call it The Jake.

I dont know. Ton of people getting real used to this working from home thing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

...it's kind of in the air.
    Ba dum tish

Uhhh, you might want to look at the budget holes in some of those cultural institutions before saying they aren’t going anywhere. I’d be shocked if there isn’t a realignment of some cultural assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Around here you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a New Hampshire transplant. Just saying....
    And isn't NH full of disgruntled folks from MA? With a handful from the rest of New England? I like VT just fine, thanks.

The southern reaches of NH by Nashua etc. - yes.

I think there will be rural growth, but I imagine it will be in places like seacoast NH - you can get a couple of acres, there's still restaurants and many hospitals. It's also incredibly affordable compared to Boston and still in easy driving distance for the important occasional trip.