Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to fill crack in cutting board?

Since it' a little slow around here, and...weirder questions have been posted in Tech Talk before.

I've been using the same, bamboo cutting boards for like 15 years, and they've been flawless. Only thing: they have no juice groove, so when I cut a piece of meat on them, it spill off the sides, onto the countertop

So I finally got around to buying one with a gutter around the edge. Also bamboo, but constructed like a micro-lam: many, 1/8" inch pieces glued together. And after just 6 months, it has developed a crack in the middle, clear from one side through to the other (dry Colorado air, vs wherever in China, I suppose). So the juice gutter is moot, as now juice just leaks through the crack and gets all over the counter.

Any idea what I can use to fill/seal the crack? Obviously has to be food-safe, and durable.

In before XXXer can suggest aquaseal

I don't have a specific recommendation for one, but there are plenty of food grade two part epoxies out there. I'd try one of those and clamp the shit out of it to close the gap as best you can.

hahaha. was thinking the exact same thing re: Aquaseal.

Could also think about sanding the board a bit, mixing the dust with woodglue, then giv'er shit. I'd be curious on toxicity of glue once it's hardened for really any glue.

Wood glue sucks at filling gaps. If you can clamp the parts together well, it's bomber, but I don't think it's a great call in this case.

I've been using the hot glue gun to repair prit near everything these days...would that work? The glue adhesion/bond is quite tenacious on a variety of substances I've used it on. Easy to target little gaps and tight spaces with relatively pin point precision. Speed up the dry/cure/cooling/hardening time by putting some parchment paper over the glue and laying a ziplock bag of snow or crushed ice over the area.
    Master of mediocrity.

I have used g-flex two part epoxy and clamp for butcherblock counters without issue

epoxy.

best shit ever for filling cracks...

Don't think plastic wood would withstand repeated washings. And I question whether it's food-safe.

Epoxy sounds like the way to go, though I'm not thrilled about the BPA content (but it'd be a tiny bit of surface area)

Pull old board out of land fill, cut juice groove with router, toss new piece of crap.

Or fill new crack with toothpaste, but use no more than 2x/day, cuz the fluoride'll kill ya.

I've got some of this; it seems to do the trick for filling. Non toxic and FDA approved for "indirect food contact" (ie. not to be eaten or put into food, but allowed to make contact)

http://www.titebond.com/product/glue...c-b53970f736af

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    ...cut juice groove with router, toss new piece of crap.
    Not a bad piece of thinking, right there! Sounds like a plan (I've still got the old ones).

Well now that’s settled, this thread title is primed up for a padded room parody.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Well now that’s settled, this thread title is primed up for a padded room parody.
    Hopefully it will not involve ass-crack and caulk

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Pull old board out of land fill, cut juice groove with router, toss new piece of crap.

Or fill new crack with toothpaste, but use no more than 2x/day, cuz the fluoride'll kill ya.
    +1 and you may get to buy a new router...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    +1 and you may get to buy a new router...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Already gots

Titebond3 mixed 50/50 with sawdust has worked for me
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I don't know what you would use that would permanently fix a cracked wooden cutting board becuz it needs to be food safe and able to handle water and abrasion of cutting

SO i would just cut it in half and call it 2 cutting boards cuz i like multiple cutting boards, I have at least 4 of the nylon or plastic type, I can cut stuff an leave it on the board till I thro it in the pan and for clean up just thro them in the DW
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-17-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Superglue

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I've got some of this; it seems to do the trick for filling. Non toxic and FDA approved for "indirect food contact" (ie. not to be eaten or put into food, but allowed to make contact)

http://www.titebond.com/product/glue...c-b53970f736af
    This is the right advice. Bamboo isn't actually wood, it's a grass. Titebond + clamps should do the trick. Scrape the excess glue with a paint scraper rather than sanding it and you'll loose less material and waste less sand paper.

Titebond and clamps won't hold. The wood cracked because of internal stresses--just drying out wouldn't crack it because there's nothing in a cutting board restraining movement. If you try to clamp it the stresses will still be there and pull it apart again. Glue+sawdust won't hold up in this application. The best way to fill would be with thickened, colored epoxy and no clamping. But I wouldn't try to fill it with anything permanent. Dried glue is hard--considerably harder than wood. If you try to fix it with any glue you'll be dulling your knives.

HDPE Cutting Boards never crack, but the go missing when I need a piece of plastic.

Molten lead? It's soft and won't dull knives.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Angry Whelk would fill that crack with hot material. And then you are drown.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.