Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    1) Jim Brown
    2) Gayle Sayers.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

1) yeah I gotta go Jim Brown just based on what every decent athlete has said about him. Inside and out of football too.

2) Barry Sanders
    I still call it The Jake.

1. No argument about Jim Brown : his production speaks for itself - and
    I believe as a running back, two other names merit mention :
    Walter Payton, and
    Emmitt Smith. The Game has changed : let's see someone else rush for 17,000 yards.

2. Bo Jackson. - had he not ever been injured
    ( it seems unlikely that he could not have been injured - but If he could have played - that way - for ten years...
    for eight years : we would be talking about Jim Brown's era .
    Sayers similarly : his play exposed Risk
    ( two years were as great as any )

good question-
    Thanks... skiJ

Sanders? Sayers? really?

all you need to know

"Can't you see..."

Not sure how he compares against others but the 30 for 30 on Marcus Dupree made a good case for lost potential due to injury.

Bo was such a great athlete. Not sure if he stayed healthy he’d be in the greatest running back discussion.
    Also Gayle was a sentimental pick, since I grew up near Chicago.
    Not a running back, but youtube up some Namath @ Alabama videos, and think about what we coulda seen.

So, South Korean baseball, yeah?

Tomorrow’s General Sports Discussion topic:

What’s the dumbest sporting event you’ve sat through?

Mind you, S. Korean baseball isn’t stupid. It may be odd and we don’t know anyone playing, but it’s still baseball so hey. But the question remains.

I haven't followed this thread, but just had a conversation with a friend today about pro sports, and I have come to the realization, that I don't miss them in the least. Sure, I enjoy a good game like some playoffs, watch world cup, etc, but I have not felt the least put out by not seeing any pro league team play, or even other sports/competitions. Games or events without spectators seems pretty lame. I enjoy F1 racing, but talk of having the Austrian GP at an empty venue is just lame. Football or baseball in an empty stadium is nothing but a practice scrimmage. No doubt I am in the minority, but would it really be that big a loss to not have over paid athletes entertain us?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

yes.

It’s a big part of the Plugboot’s lives. We go to a couple Seahawks games, we’re Sounders season ticket holders, we go to a few Mariners games w/ the dogs each season. We get the NBA season pass, go to Storm games, Reign games etc. etc. etc.

Don't you think we'll see a few addictions broken, though? I mean, pro sports provides some value in my life, but I've had to make a conscious decision to skip watching a few games so I could go live my own life. Whether that's skiing or whatever I think this respite is likely to mean more people coming to Hutash's conclusion. And I'm good with that. In the long run it might mean playing games for fun instead of profit. Lower ticket prices might be good for everyone.

But Marshawn Lynch...that'd be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    For 1, you get into the Jim Brown vs everyone else who came later argument. Only Wooley and Old Goat actually saw Jim Brown play.

For 2, it has to be Earl Campbell. He was terrifying. I'd have run off the field to avoid tackling that guy.
    Brown has to be top 3. Led the way for Ernie Davis onto SU. and the Browns. How good would he have been? Reminds me of the time I met for lunch with Ger Schwedes and his wife. Ger was a RB in the '59 SU backfield with Ernie. 90 carries. 6.3 yd average. Anyway, Ger got up and left the table and he comes back with Elke Sommer on his arm. Now, I'd had Elke's Playboy spread hung on my wall in the frat house so she was familiar. It was fun then got exciting when Ger's wife thought he was having to much fun with Elke and stormed off.

Can't say I actually saw Jim Brown play. I might have put his Topps card in my spokes. .
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It’s a big part of the Plugboot’s lives. We go to a couple Seahawks games, we’re Sounders season ticket holders, we go to a few Mariners games w/ the dogs each season. We get the NBA season pass, go to Storm games, Reign games etc. etc. etc.
    Aside: I actually haven’t missed them all that much, but I’m hoping this finally leads to “a la carte cable.” Tired of paying for ESPN and their garbage network!

Oh: dumbest was: jai alai. I’m sure part of it was I just didn’t get it, but part of it was the crowd... or lack thereof. There were 10-20 shady dudes who looked like they lived there and gambled.... when the horse track was closed. Sports without crowds = lame.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Brown has to be top 3. Led the way for Ernie Davis onto SU. and the Browns. How good would he have been? Reminds me of the time I met for lunch with Ger Schwedes and his wife. Ger was a RB in the '59 SU backfield with Ernie. 90 carries. 6.3 yd average. Anyway, Ger got up and left the table and he comes back with Elke Sommer on his arm. Now, I'd had Elke's Playboy spread hung on my wall in the frat house so she was familiar. It was fun then got exciting when Ger's wife thought he was having to much fun with Elke and stormed off.

Can't say I actually saw Jim Brown play. I might have put his Topps card in my spokes. .
    What do you need to know about Jim Brown? Cmon, he was in The Dirty Dozen!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Mind you, S. Korean baseball isn’t stupid. It may be odd and we don’t know anyone playing, but it’s still baseball so hey. But the question remains.
    The problem with Korean baseball is the games start at 4AM here.
    But I guess I'll watch a game if I happen to catch it on. For chrissakes, I found myself watching a women's softball game from 2017 the other night.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I went to a nascar race at Loudon

I've been to one at Pocono. It was more exciting than a Jets game.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    I went to Dover Downs once. The most exciting thing for almost the entire race was: the giant jet dryer truck that came out to dry the track after it rained. My son and I spend half the race just walking around after we got bored. Then, the last lap...at the finish line...there was a MASSIVE crash. It was gnarly. Best part of the race...aside from the jet dryer.

But I guess I'll watch a game if I happen to catch it on. For chrissakes, I found myself watching a women's softball game from 2017 the other night.
    Djou catch the stone skipping championships from Mackinac Island ESPN had on the other day?

Riveting.

I went to Dover Downs once. The most exciting thing for almost the entire race was: the giant jet dryer truck that came out to dry the track after it rained. My son and I spend half the race just walking around after we got bored. Then, the last lap...at the finish line...there was a MASSIVE crash. It was gnarly. Best part of the race...aside from the jet dryer.

Not sure if this is a "sport", but we went to a competitive cheer contest once to see a niece perform.

Like a thousand kids at this convention center, each wearing more makeup than a cheap hooker, waiting all weekend for their 2 minutes of glory. Each team and their group of spectators were processed through the performance hall like an assembly line. The performances were near seizure-inducing - strobe lights and shitty music with a overdubbed bass beat cranked way past distortion.

One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Anybody that spends their time and money on this for their kids must be a better person than me.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I haven't followed this thread, but just had a conversation with a friend today about pro sports, and I have come to the realization, that I don't miss them in the least. Sure, I enjoy a good game like some playoffs, watch world cup, etc, but I have not felt the least put out by not seeing any pro league team play, or even other sports/competitions. Games or events without spectators seems pretty lame. I enjoy F1 racing, but talk of having the Austrian GP at an empty venue is just lame. Football or baseball in an empty stadium is nothing but a practice scrimmage. No doubt I am in the minority, but would it really be that big a loss to not have over paid athletes entertain us?
    Agreed. If pro sports never came back I wouldn't even notice.

There’s some handsome women in softball, so I can’t really fault you.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Djou catch the stone skipping championships from Mackinac Island ESPN had on the other day?

Riveting.
    It has to be balls cold in Macinac right now, was it ice skipping?

Either way, the Ocho serves up all the lame sports.

Lamest event I ever attended was a spikeball tournament. It was like 50 teams of 2 standing around a mini tramp with other 2 man teams as they slammed a softball into it trying to make the others miss.

For hours on end.

At least there was a beer truck and some attractive coeds but the vibe was decidedly cornhole meets headband wearing Ultimate athlete from the movie PCU.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The 146th running of the Kentucky Derby was supposed to be this Saturday. In honor of that today's General Sports Discussion topic is:

What's your favorite Derby Day story, or story at the track, or story tangentially related to horse racing?

!
    Late to the thread but oh well.

We do a small $ office pool every year for the derby, random draw for horses, just for fun.

I’m in the bar area of a restaurant watching the race before we eat with the family and my horse that year wins. I lean over and tell my wife I just won $600, which I did. She says great your buying dinner and then I say I don’t think you heard me correctly, I just won $600k. We were mucking it up talking about spending the $ on all kinds of frivolous stuff, and putting some aside for college.

We could tell a guy next to us overheard and was listening to us so we turned it up and started debating what color the new Porsche should be and if we wanted a salt water pool or regular pool.

I see him pointing me out to his wife later as the guy who just won $600k.

We play this game every year now, I guess not this year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw NASCAR at the Glen get rained out. Saw an AMA National road race at Louden when it was Bryar Motorsports Park. The year after the outlaw biker riot. I was hanging on the chain link fence looking at my idols and asked a old man where the gate to the pits were. He said" The gates are down there if you have a pit pass.
    If you don't, you can sneak through the fence by that tree across the way"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1-250 Harley.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	327541
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.