Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post

Re: hub engagement, I think it's pretty easy to get caught up in thinking you need absolute maximum POE. I'm not saying it makes literally no difference, but anything about 36 or higher I'm fine with, and once you're past 72 or so it really starts becoming a case of diminishing returns.
    Very true. And I'd also argue that hubs with worse engagement make your suspension feel better (for the same reason that taking your chain off makes your suspension feel better).

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Very true. And I'd also argue that hubs with worse engagement make your suspension feel better (for the same reason that taking your chain off makes your suspension feel better).
    Yep, that too.

The I9s are on my hardtail, so that suspension feels pretty terrible no matter what hub I use though.

I haven't read this whole thread, but some thoughts....

I've built a few pair of wheels using Light Bicycle rims (AM, heavy duty rears) and beat the absolute hell out of them for several seasons. Zero issues and keep spoke tension well.
    I've also splurged on a set of pre-built We Are One Agent wheels which I'm currently on. Same answer. Perfectly true and tensioned, excellent stiff ride but not abusive stiff, and have taken a solid beating to date.

Your mileage may vary.

Agree with POE. I’d say anything over 54T (DT) is fine. I’m more concerned about performance and feel. There’s more to a hub then just POE and weight. BTW- Friend of mine has i9s warrantied, gave him hydro, lasted 3 rides. Going back.

Reserves are worth it. Theres no chance they'll last a lifetime, so eventually you'll break em and they'll upgrade you to whatever new technology they have. You can always sell the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by bensondubya View Post
    Reserves are worth it. Theres no chance they'll last a lifetime, so eventually you'll break em and they'll upgrade you to whatever new technology they have. You can always sell the warranty.
    the SC warranty isn't transferable. neither is the We Are One lifetime warranty.

I don't think any wheels, or bike for that matter, have transferable warranties. Hopefully if you invest in a nice set of wheels, the standards will stay around for awhile so you can bounce them to a new bike ones you get them.. Hope.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bensondubya View Post
    I think he means you could sell the new wheels that were replaced under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I don't think any wheels, or bike for that matter, have transferable warranties. Hopefully if you invest in a nice set of wheels, the standards will stay around for awhile so you can bounce them to a new bike ones you get them.. Hope.. lol
    That's my biggest complaint about buying new when it comes to carbon and warranty. I think boost might be here to stay a while, but damn the best you can do with non-boost wheels these days is throw them on a gravel bike.

I bought my first pair of carbon wheels a few days ago. 2020 Roval Control SL’s with two sets of tires for $800... couldn’t resist crazy good deal. I’m excited for them to show up in a few days.

Going on what is also my first ever XC race bike (Pivot Mach 4 Sl). I had been planning a few 100 mile races this summer, but they will likely all get canceled. Eying a few personal goals for longer benchmark rides that can be done solo instead (thinking Kokopelli Trail in a day if anyone has feedback on that).

Does anyone with a wheel like this have strong feelings about if I can use them as a daily wheel? Or if they should only come out on race days? I don’t tend to break rims. I’ve had a lot of issues with hubs, but no rim issues. The DT 240’s shouldn’t give me any issues, so I’m just worried about cracking a rim. 165lbs. Smooth rider. Willing to add 2 psi to my rear tire if I’m riding technical terrain.

I say ride 'em. I'm similarly light weight and ride my wheels daily. Especially at that level of investment, no use letting them spend 80% of the time hanging on your wall...

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I bought my first pair of carbon wheels a few days ago. 2020 Roval Control SL’s with two sets of tires for $800... couldn’t resist crazy good deal. I’m excited for them to show up in a few days.

Going on what is also my first ever XC race bike (Pivot Mach 4 Sl). I had been planning a few 100 mile races this summer, but they will likely all get canceled. Eying a few personal goals for longer benchmark rides that can be done solo instead (thinking Kokopelli Trail in a day if anyone has feedback on that).

Does anyone with a wheel like this have strong feelings about if I can use them as a daily wheel? Or if they should only come out on race days? I don’t tend to break rims. I’ve had a lot of issues with hubs, but no rim issues. The DT 240’s shouldn’t give me any issues, so I’m just worried about cracking a rim. 165lbs. Smooth rider. Willing to add 2 psi to my rear tire if I’m riding technical terrain.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

Ride em with abandon. Chances are the bike they are mounted on will keep you out of truly gnar terrain and at your weight, riding style I see zero concerns. I'm a little lighter than you and have put 1000's of miles on a set of Stan's Valors. not a single re-true.

Where's Johnny Snow when you need him?

He really tore up a wheel thread I started here a couple years ago with an amazeballs quantity of industry knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    That's my biggest complaint about buying new when it comes to carbon and warranty. I think boost might be here to stay a while, but damn the best you can do with non-boost wheels these days is throw them on a gravel bike.
    I smell a new front wheel hub standard soon.. I think the DH spec will matriculate. Just speculation but you know bike folks change shit so they can make money. That being said, the King hubs are ready for that change and maybe some others are also.

Roval wheels are covered by Special Ed's lifetime warranty.
    They even extend a limited warranty to second owners for for 2 years.

Take advantage of that shit and stop acting like your bike is a delicate flower.
    Ride them like you stole them. Use them for everything. Take them to the bike park. Learn trials. Drive into the carport.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ibis, Reynolds, Hunt, We Are One, etc etc....so many carbonz rims with breakage no cost replacement policy that it’s kinda expected now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    I smell a new front wheel hub standard soon.. I think the DH spec will matriculate. Just speculation but you know bike folks change shit so they can make money. That being said, the King hubs are ready for that change and maybe some others are also.
    "standards"! When I bought my 2015 SC I don't think boost was around. Now "non boost" is old skool. 5 years!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Ibis, Reynolds, Hunt, We Are One, etc etc....so many carbonz rims with breakage no cost replacement policy that it’s kinda expected now.
    Comes down to original owner vs second hand. I'm not buying used carbon without at least having a plan what I'm going to do if/when it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Comes down to original owner vs second hand. I'm not buying used carbon without at least having a plan what I'm going to do if/when it breaks.
    Just work something out with original owner to warranty if needed?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Do lifetime warrantys continue if you get a warranty replacement? I had some Stan's Valors that broke and got the original owner to help me warranty them. Now I've got a new set of wheels - does the original owner retain the lifetime warranty on the new set?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Do lifetime warrantys continue if you get a warranty replacement? I had some Stan's Valors that broke and got the original owner to help me warranty them. Now I've got a new set of wheels - does the original owner retain the lifetime warranty on the new set?
    Ummm, really?
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Ummm, really?
    Huh? I'm basically asking if the lifetime warranty is one use only or not. In a lot of products that's the case.

Lifetime. As many replacements as you can get. Kinda douchy to keep hitting that guy up over and over again unless you have a special relationship with him.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Lifetime. As many replacements as you can get. Kinda douchy to keep hitting that guy up over and over again unless you have a special relationship with him.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah obviously, and fingers crossed I don't break these wheels anytime soon (or ever) anyways, but I'm just curious. He was very nice to hook me up the first time and I wasn't expecting anything. Just curious about the warranty.

Ok so I just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and do a little followup in case anyone searches this up.
    I got some ENVE 70/30 wheels from toast and installed new tires tubeless. hiroller 2.5 up front and ardent 2.4 in the back. I did jizz stan's all over my workbench...
    Now it's hard to separate what is responsible for it, but this setup is SO MUCH BETTER.
    One good ride yesterday and headed out again soon.
    Tires are new, which is always nice, and bigger. front went from 2.3->2.5 same tire (but new) and back 2.25->2.4 same tire but new.
    Rims went from 23 to 30 I.D. and the whole thing just looks and feels burlier. It might be a tad lighter, rims/spokes/hubs are lighter but tires are def heavier. It just feels zippy and precise. I can really feel it on ledgy techy steep ups that I clean sometimes but barely. They require ratcheting and pseudo-trials hops and stuff. I was MOTORing up them and then just kept going. Also keep in mind that I did my long run the day before in a marathon/ultra training schedule so my legs were really smoked to begin with and it was supposed to be an off day.
    Also my old wheels were... well loved. I moved the 54t ratchet over to the new set and it was kind of funky in there. Like I was disturbing a wetland. It actually smelled bad. Cleaned it all up and smeared some new grease and all good.

I don't know if I was thinking this because I read it before and was pre-conditioned but...
    wider is better, rims and tires.
    carbon is not just about weight. It feels more precise. Less wobbly when you need to be precise on tech terrain.
    Can't comment on cheap carbon vs high end Al but it's interesting. Cheap carbon is getting pretty cheap from lightbikes etc.
    ENVE new is stupid expensive and I do worry about these attracting thieves especially with the giant ENVE stickers on the rims.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms