Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    While they are clearly the evil empire, the specialized swat box is pretty awesome - fits the essentials in the downtube, nice and clean.

I haven't ridden with a pack yet this year. At most, swat box + bib pockets holds everything I need for a few hours of riding.

Count me in as a fan of the One-up EDC tool in the 70cc pump. Hands down the best mini pump out there. The plug tool still fits with the multi-tool installed. Mounted on the frame, jersey pocket, hip or back pack depending on the season or mission. That plus a tube and a few zip-ties with a few wraps of gorilla tape around them is my minimum kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post

Now, to get back on track - what was up with the WTB Padloc grips/bars? Talk about a ridiculous idea.
    There's a winner for the hall of shame: cut your bars so no other grips fit except for the proprietary ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

And every one I have ever seen was broken.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    And every one I have ever seen was broken.
    The handlebar itself? Or the grips?
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The interior plastic ‘wedge’ part of the grips. But I have only seen two, so pretty small sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

On another topic-
    Tubolito tubes purely as a tube for flatted tubeless - fair or foul? i.e. do they work/are they worth it?
    I got a deal on one last spring, so I grabbed it. Thought process was: If I spend this much on a spare, the bike gods will laugh at me and I'll never get to use it. So far, so good.

Biggest downside (other than price) is that if, say, an unprepared buddy got a flat and didn't have a spare, I'd be hesitant to give him my expensive ass orange tube...

I loved the OneUp tool/pump combo. Always the fastest of my friends to have a tool out when we needed it and the pump moved a lot of air fast.. Now though, SWAT and the evil empire's fancy little head tube multi-tool storage thing mean I'm more prepared with tools and parts than ever, without anything strapped to the outside of my bike.

A downside to tubolito is that they don’t easily stretch like a rubber tube, so if you’re running a mullet, you’ll need 2 different sizes. Or if you ride 27.5, you can’t help someone with a 29er.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

I ran those WTB grips for a while. They never broke, and they actually helped with hand fatigue.

But yeah, the whole cutting the bar thing was dumb. I have no interest in putting them on any current bike.

This looks pretty inexplicable to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Target audience : people who put chains on the front wheels of their Mustang.

I hate packs as much as anyone, but my gripe with the packless trend is that it discourages riders from carrying a first aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Biggest downside (other than price) is that if, say, an unprepared buddy got a flat and didn't have a spare, I'd be hesitant to give him my expensive ass orange tube...
    That's a big deterrent--most of my tube usage these days is trailside donations to strangers.

As for the original topic, I think those little caps roadies wear and pressfit BBs are inexplicable.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    A downside to tubolito is that they don’t easily stretch like a rubber tube, so if you’re running a mullet, you’ll need 2 different sizes. Or if you ride 27.5, you can’t help someone with a 29er.
    This was my exact next question - how about 29er tube down inside a 27.5?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    I hate packs as much as anyone, but my gripe with the packless trend is that it discourages riders from carrying a first aid kit.

That's a big deterrent--most of my tube usage these days is trailside donations to strangers.

As for the original topic, I think those little caps roadies wear and pressfit BBs are inexplicable.
    those little caps keep your head warm?

I was totally fine with BSA BB's though.

Beaten to death already, but I love my EDC tool & pump. For me it's mostly because I hate having a sweaty pack on my back unless I absolutely have to. I put my helmet & glasses on, put my water bottle in the cage, and grab my GPS off the charger and am good to ride for ~2.5 hours. Beyond that, maybe I'll wear bibs with a second bottle. 4+ hours, or riding somewhere where having lunch and a first aid kit is a good idea and I'll wear the bum bag. I never flat, but still carry the pump because other people I ride with regularly get to the top and realize their tires are at like 12 psi. I've loaned out my EDC pump or multi-tool several times to people riding without tools. Best one was a couple of kids trying to install a brand new chain at the trailhead without a chainbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    This was my exact next question - how about 29er tube down inside a 27.5?
    26 to 29 are all interchangeable in a pinch.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Next product: for a mere $199, you can view your tire pressure in real time on a smart phone:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...45038&caslid=0
    Okay, while I would never drop that kind of $$ on it, I do think it's kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    26 to 29 are all interchangeable in a pinch.
    I think he's asking about downsizing those tubolite tubes, which apparently don't stretch the same so you might need to stick to one wheelsize. I've never used one but I bet 'downsizing' one is fine, putting a fold in it or something if needed.

Finally. An inexplicable product.

Everything else so far has an explanation.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I got a deal on one last spring, so I grabbed it. Thought process was: If I spend this much on a spare, the bike gods will laugh at me and I'll never get to use it. So far, so good.

So far, so good with my Tubolito tubes. I bring a few on each of our Chasing Epic trips, and I always carry one (29er) on personal rides too. It's light as shit and when folded up, it fits into my fanny/hip pack and I don't even know it's there.

I had to use one earlier this week when I got a rear flat, and it worked great- maybe it was dumb luck, but it seemed easier to seat the tire with the Tubolito because they're so thin. Didn't lose any air pressure for the 6-7 miles I rode to finish my ride. When I got home I took the tube out, cleaned it off, and folded it back up to use again later. I don't think I'd do that with a regular tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Finally. An inexplicable product.

Everything else so far has an explanation.
    Explanation: indoor nose wheelie trainer. Variable levels of magnetic resistance simulate real world wheelies on different terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Explanation: indoor nose wheelie trainer. Variable levels of magnetic resistance simulate real world wheelies on different terrain.
    Potentially, but how do you explain the spiral staircase in that pic? It really is confounding.

Potentially, but how do you explain the spiral staircase in that pic? It really is confounding.
    When you master the nose wheelie, you must hop upstairs on the spiral staircase on the front wheel.

Not a Tubolito, but I’ve been on a ride where we had to stick a 29er tube inside a 26er tire. It was horrible.
    1. First, it was like sticking a limp dick inside a virgin.
    2. Second, the part of the tire with the bunched up tube thumped along like a club foot. Thump thump thump thump all the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Finally. An inexplicable product. .
    More like an inexplicably ignorant marketing department.