Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I bought a bunch of the stupid blue Park Tool bike hooks and the covering wore off in a few months and began to scratch the shit out of the rims. The $1.99 hardware store hooks are far superior are 1/3 of the price.
    The vinyl tears on the Harbor Freight ones too. I cut them off (peels off easily), and replaced with some thick vinyl tubing I had laying around -- it'll never wear through.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yeah, all of these hidden mount trail tools are junk. What if you need that tool to readjust your front disc caliper? And the one that requires a special tool to tap the headset? WTF? So dumb.

FFS, just get a little tool bag that can strap onto your frame, or throw a tool in a pocket. It's not that hard boys and girls!
    Im gonna have to disagree with you on the OneUp EDC tool. While yes, you do have to either tap your steerer or buy their special stem, it’s pretty clutch to always have a nice multi tool hiding in your steerer but quickly accessible. It’s a surprisingly good multitool, with a lot of functions, a tire lever, chain tool, quick links, and room for plugs and a few other odds and ends. I do think the other hidden bike tools suck, but the OneUp is actually pretty rad.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Im gonna have to disagree with you on the OneUp EDC tool. While yes, you do have to either tap your steerer or buy their special stem, it’s pretty clutch to always have a nice multi tool hiding in your steerer but quickly accessible. It’s a surprisingly good multitool, with a lot of functions, a tire lever, chain tool, quick links, and room for plugs and a few other odds and ends. I do think the other hidden bike tools suck, but the OneUp is actually pretty rad.
    I also have 4 different bikes that I switch between, so carrying a tool in a pocket, pouch, or pack just makes more sense.

Gold plated patch kit, among other items. $360 MSRP!

https://www.backcountry.com/lezyne-1...LL_CAR_OVE_ESC
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

OneUp EDC + OneUp pump FTW
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    OneUp EDC + OneUp pump FTW
    You think it's inexplicable? I like having everything I need on the bike without having to worry about forgetting a Multitool in the car. Most enduro racers use it whether they're sponsored by OneUp or not

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post
    You think it's inexplicable? I like having everything I need on the bike without having to worry about forgetting a Multitool in the car. Most enduro racers use it whether they're sponsored by OneUp or not

I think it's inexplicable to those of us who still haven't been shamed into abandoning our packs and tend to leave all our shit in it between rides instead of strapping 6 items to the frame and hiding another 12 in various nooks and crannies...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I think it's inexplicable to those of us who still haven't been shamed into abandoning our packs and tend to leave all our shit in it between rides instead of strapping 6 items to the frame and hiding another 12 in various nooks and crannies...
    The point is to have everything you need in one package in the pump, so you don't need to stash a tool, zip ties, co2, etc in other places. I think it's a great piece of kit, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Gold plated patch kit, among other items. $360 MSRP!

https://www.backcountry.com/lezyne-1...LL_CAR_OVE_ESC
    Yeah but today it's a steal at 53% off right? Especially since quote, "Tire lever doubles as a bottle opener for enjoying a Belgian Trappist ale post ride".

Quote Originally Posted by auguyette View Post
    Yeah but today it's a steal at 53% off right? Especially since quote, "Tire lever doubles as a bottle opener for enjoying a Belgian Trappist ale post ride".
    It's pretty much a BOGO, so I'm buying two and giving one away!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Gonna also chime in about the EDC steerer tool. It's the shit. There is a freedom from being able to do a 20 mile MTB ride without a backpack.

EDC thing looks cool, but this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6968.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	328321

is on each of our 6 bikes with tools and a tube specific to the bike.
    Under seat bags and other bags have only been around for over 100 years, this really doesn’t improve anything.
    If it was inside the bottom bracket, that would be cool, because it would put the mass at the lowest part of the bike. Otherwise why would I throw out my perfectly good tools?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Anyone remember the (if I remember correctly) $300 Campy corkscrew?
    Got my wife one of those for a birthday present (she's an ex-roadie and a Campy fan). Gotta say, it's the nicest corkscrew I've used, and it'll last basically forever. (I think it was closer to $150 as well.)

Now the Park pizza cutter, those things are useless.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    EDC thing looks cool, but this:

Name:	IMG_6968.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	328321

is on each of our 6 bikes with tools and a tube specific to the bike.
    Under seat bags and other bags have only been around for over 100 years, this really doesn’t improve anything.
    If it was inside the bottom bracket, that would be cool, because it would put the mass at the lowest part of the bike. Otherwise why would I throw out my perfectly good tools?
    While I get the sentiment those bags don't play well with dropper posts and most full sus bikes going through all their rear travel. The EDC really was designed for racing and it's why I got it, but I do see why so many people love it now. Racer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    EDC thing looks cool, but...

I think I sense someone in the bike industry coming up with a new BB standard right now!

I used to joke with customers when external bearing BB’s came out “You can put your weed in there!”

Usually got a light chuckle.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Gonna also chime in about the EDC steerer tool. It's the shit. There is a freedom from being able to do a 20 mile MTB ride without a backpack.
    I have the Wolftooth handlebar versions on two bikes for that reason...but have yet to use it in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    While I get the sentiment those bags don't play well with dropper posts and most full sus bikes going through all their rear travel. The EDC really was designed for racing and it's why I got it, but I do see why so many people love it now. Racer or not.
    It helps that I'm on an XL frame with a 175 dropper, but I love the simplicity and cost of my voile strap setup. I've got a tube, 2 co2 cartridges, pump, tire levers, multi-tool, and a couple emergency gels in there. No issues with the dropper or rear tire.

Forgot pic:

Name:	20200512_214824.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	328335

I have a really compact Lizard Skinz saddlebag that doesn’t come near the tire, works great.

https://www.backcountry.com/lizard-s...SABEgIOnPD_BwE

I guess my only thought on the EDC is you still need to find somewhere for the tube? Unless you say f the tube and go plugs or just co2 and hope your issues are limited to just burping flats? Idk, bcr strap has been pretty nice for me.

On another topic-
    Tubolito tubes purely as a tube for flatted tubeless - fair or foul? i.e. do they work/are they worth it?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I guess my only thought on the EDC is you still need to find somewhere for the tube? Unless you say f the tube and go plugs or just co2 and hope your issues are limited to just burping flats? Idk, bcr strap has been pretty nice for me.

On another topic-
    Tubolito tubes purely as a tube for flatted tubeless - fair or foul? i.e. do they work/are they worth it?
    Those Tubolito things costs 5 times what a regular tube costs because they pack down smaller is my understanding. No thanks, I'll just use a regular tube like I have been without issue for the past 25 years of biking.

The only multi tool that attaches to the bike that I’ve utilized is the Specialized EMT bottle cage thing. Because it’s right there. It opens and functions like a regular old multi tool. I don’t need to open a thing, then take apart a thing, then set half the thing down in the dirt while i adjust my brake lever, then figure out how the thing goes back together again then get home and realize part of the thing is still sitting on the side of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenaged View Post

FTW = for the win. It's awesome. No steerer tube shenanigans. Buy a couple more mounts for cheap, and it's an easy swap between bikes. Tube and CO2 get strapped to the frame.

Seat bags are fine for road/gravel, they suck on a mtb. They get muddy AF which eventually penetrates and gets the contents muddy and ultimately fucks with the zipper, and any play in a dropper post is amplified x1000 which can be good because it reminds you that the dropper no longer works properly thanks to the 100 pound mud catcher hanging off of it.

I've never spent the money on a Tubolito, so maybe I'm missing something, but a roadie tube is 1/10 the cost, compact and works fine in an emergency.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    The only multi tool that attaches to the bike that I’ve utilized is the Specialized EMT bottle cage thing. Because it’s right there. It opens and functions like a regular old multi tool. I don’t need to open a thing, then take apart a thing, then set half the thing down in the dirt while i adjust my brake lever, then figure out how the thing goes back together again then get home and realize part of the thing is still sitting on the side of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Similarly, I use a Syncros Matchbox TailorCage which is a nylon bottle cage that incorporates a slim, slide-out drawer containing a folding multi tool and a chain breaker/quick links. I use a BCR strap to secure a tube, Co2, plug kit, and tire levers to my frame. It all works great and is pretty awesome IMO.

I use a saddle bag on my cross bike. Personally, I am a fan of on bike storage. I think the big thing is to have a single multi tool dedicated to each ride so you don't need to worry about forgetting it.

Now, to get back on track - what was up with the WTB Padloc grips/bars? Talk about a ridiculous idea.