Thread: Cheap race skis

Cheap race skis

So, I'm considering buying some cheap race skis for those firm/ice days where you're just going to ski whatever's smooth-ish - usually groomers.

I have a pair of MX98's as my firm-day skis now, and they do a good job, but when things are quite firm, they don't bite as much as I'd like.

I've never skied a race ski - so I don't know what I should buy.
    I'm small, and not very heavy - 5'7" and ~140#.
    I'm perfectly comfortable with super-stiff and tanks - I generally ski stuff like the Cochise, Bodacious, Kastle MX/FX, etc. So, I don't need baby-sitting - but I don't want to buy anything completely nuts either.

I've seen some quite cheap GS skis, but don't know how nuts it is to buy a GS vs Slalom ski.

So, thoughts on length, and/or GS vs Slalom?
    Where have you seen these _really_ cheap - I think SkiEssentials had some like right around $100. But I don't see those any more. Is there anywhere else?

GS skis, High 170's low 180's length. Make sure radius isn't too high or they won't turn. Older cheaper GS skis have a 30ish radius which you will be super hauling arse before they turn.

I have a 183cm, 23m ladies GS for the GVC, Geriatric Village Champs and it's more than enough ski. I wish it was a hair shorter and I'm 5'9" 160, usually a low to mid 180's guy, think 183cm Monster 98 or older stiffer Stormriders 95's.

Slalom skis turn rediculously quick. You might leave ur ACL in the last turnbif u aren't careful. I have a 165cm sl that only comes out for GVC slalom races or when I want to make a gillion turns on bulletproof east coast ice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

eBay, skiyard.

Oh yeah, Tech talk jong

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

A big part of the question comes down to how fast you want to ski.

If the answer is even remotely "fast" get a 175-181 GS ski with a mid 20-ish turn radius. The 185cm+ / 30-35meter GS skis require alot of speed, space, and commitment to operate properly.

On the other hand, A sub 170cm SL ski will have a sub 20 meter turn radius and while fun, will require you to keep up with it all the time to keep it turning and keep the speeds down. The worst scenario is to get lazy, take a little break, pick up some speed, and then try to re-engage. You don't even understand how fast you will be upside down with your feet above your head... Hooky doesn't begin to describe it.

And, yeah... Tech Talk.

GS for sure, not slalom.

I'm taller and heavier, so I like the GS in 185-192ish lengths, and don't mind the longer turn radius ones (27-33m).

Don't run over anyone...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A bunch of racers dump their skis for cheap on Sideline Swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably bought Ski Essentials last pair of 188 Elans at $79 (the womans FIS length) a few weeks ago. Also picked up some Fischer FR 11 Freeflex for about $95 to put on the predrilled Tyrolia race plate. When setting up for fit, it became apparent that the race plate minimum BSL was for mondo 26, and I have small feetz and junior race boots, so I may be SOL on this set up, so if anyone is interested before I mess with it, shoot me a PM.

Tech talk jong...
    Oops. Wasn't thinking, eh?
    I'd restart the thread in TT, but it seems there's not much point now...

A big part of the question comes down to how fast you want to ski.
    If the answer is even remotely "fast" get a 175-181 GS ski with a mid 20-ish turn radius. The 185cm+ / 30-35meter GS skis require alot of speed, space, and commitment to operate properly.
    I'm pretty routinely in the 50-60+mph range - especially on groomers - at least when I'm not likely to be mowing down small children and/or grammies.

The worst scenario is to get lazy, take a little break, pick up some speed, and then try to re-engage. You don't even understand how fast you will be upside down with your feet above your head... Hooky doesn't begin to describe it.
    Don't want that! I'm def the kind to just let them rail if I don't need to turn.
    So it sounds like Slalom is out.
    GS is in.

Any reason to prefer a carving ski vs a race ski?
    The only reason I can think of, would be that a carving ski might cover more conditions than just those hard, blow-up-groomer, days. Since I've got multiple other pairs and I'm more than glad to swap around, even mid-day - that isn't something I'm worried about. Am I missing something.
    [I suppose a carving ski is probably less demanding than a race ski too.]

Quote Originally Posted by jmr1946 View Post
    I probably bought Ski Essentials last pair of 188 Elans at $79 (the womans FIS length) a few weeks ago. Also picked up some Fischer FR 11 Freeflex for about $95 to put on the predrilled Tyrolia race plate. When setting up for fit, it became apparent that the race plate minimum BSL was for mondo 26, and I have small feetz and junior race boots, so I may be SOL on this set up, so if anyone is interested before I mess with it, shoot me a PM.
    Would a 25.5 fit?

I snagged a pair of new 2016 Fischer RC4 WC GS skis that I probably don't need. 183 with a 30m radius, medium flex. Think I paid around $140, where are you located?

Find your local hill's kids race program, most of them have a Facebook page just for buying/selling race gear. They go up to U18 so will have gear that will work for you just fine.

I am 6'0" and 160lb and have a pair of Atomic G9 FIS in 177 and that is plenty long for me as race skis really are FAST and need to be at speed to turn well. That is why I sized down from the 188 or 183. I generally get the longest ski possible, my other skis for reference are Volkl Mantra M5 in 191, Head iTitan in 177 and Rossi S3 in 188
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

I'll echo comish's comments and suggest a former FIS compliant GS ski in the low 180s or high 170s with <25 radius. I'm a bit heavier than you at 5'8, 175 lbs and also have a pair of the Head 183 ladies FIS skis in the 23 radius vintage and it's perfect for zooming around, but wouldn't want or need a longer ski or longer radius. I'd stay away from the "cheaters" that aren't FIS compliant skis that have <20 radius, and wouldn't go for a frontside carving ski either. Your MX98s can handle everything else, why not go all in with the race ski IMO.

Used GS skis are generally easier to find than SL, but a proper SL ski in 165 can be damn fun too, I enjoy how it rockets you out of a turn to the point of sending your legs airborn if you're not paying attention. You can still pull longer turns out of them if you want, but obviously that's not what they're designed for.

If you can make it work with another mount, these could be a viable option, almost perfect length and radius for what you're describing. Also, watch out for skis with older piston plates, as the newer marker comp bindings have a different mount pattern IIRC that won't fit the older plates.

I'd say get both GS and SL if the price is right, they're completely different feels for those boilerplate days. MX98 are great skis, but night and day on ice between those and some old race skis. Just make sure whatever skis you get have an edge left as they can get quite thin from the constant tuning being done on them.

Cheap race skis

188 Elan GSX ?
    Very few days on them with 16 din bindings with same low days
    Raceplate mounting makes different BSL easier to remount

Edit for pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4456.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	324770

Bases with summer wax (never pulled them out this season)

Name:	IMG_4455.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	324771

Name:	IMG_4459.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	324772

Very minor surface chipping

Name:	IMG_4457.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	324773

Heavy to ship unfortunately but great for what you’re looking for (if 188 can work for you)
    Last edited by ::: :::; 04-10-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: corrected model name

You want "cheater" skis, look like real race skis but are non-conforming FIS.
    GS skis but smaller turn radius. Long radius turn skis are really for closed courses.
    I have a pair and they are super fun for days when the woods are closed and it's all groomers without crowds (skiers).
    I go from say a all-mountain Brahma 88 or BC Orb 91 to a Blizzard cheater GS and it's a big difference in feel and really fun if you know how to use them. I raced in high school (not successfully).
    That said, they suck for everything else like bumps, woods, any amount of moved around snow, etc. Morning corduroy is just heaven on good cheater GS skis. Like ice skates.
    You really have to look at the turn radius. Over 25m and don't touch it. I think mine are 21.
    SL skis are great if you are totally on it all the time. The don't like to go straight. You have to just keep turning.
    Rossi Hero Elite "multievent" skis are good. I think level nine has them sometimes.
    Real racers will look at you and pity the fool. But they do that with everyone.

like this
    https://www.levelninesports.com/ross...-bindings-2020
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

You are the about the same size as my son was last year. He free skis 174 mx98s and races. I like to "borrow" his skis and I love the mx98s but they are not hard snow/ice skis. If it is a groomer day I'm almost always on race skis. Usually around 35 groomer days per season so worth owning a couple pairs. I often start on GS skis then switch to SL for the 11am-1pm crowds then back to GS when it clears out but most firm days I'm just on 165cm SL which might be a lot of ski for your size/weight.

If you are interested in used I could set you up with his old ones as he is 16 now and had to change to adult fis sizes next year. (All are Atomics)
    GS:
    183/24m
    183/26.2m
    186/26m

These are more similar than different.

I also have some 157cm SL skis if you want to make lots of turns. Fun and good exercise but you need to respect their speed limit and commit to ABT (always be turning). 165s are a little more versatile for me.

Pm if interested.

I've been buried in other things - so haven't been back to this thread.

This sounds pretty attractive - depending on pricing.
    I'll PM you.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    You are the about the same size as my son was last year. He free skis 174 mx98s and races. I like to "borrow" his skis and I love the mx98s but they are not hard snow/ice skis. If it is a groomer day I'm almost always on race skis. Usually around 35 groomer days per season so worth owning a couple pairs. I often start on GS skis then switch to SL for the 11am-1pm crowds then back to GS when it clears out but most firm days I'm just on 165cm SL which might be a lot of ski for your size/weight.

If you are interested in used I could set you up with his old ones as he is 16 now and had to change to adult fis sizes next year. (All are Atomics)
    GS:
    183/24m
    183/26.2m
    186/26m

These are more similar than different.

I also have some 157cm SL skis if you want to make lots of turns. Fun and good exercise but you need to respect their speed limit and commit to ABT (always be turning). 165s are a little more versatile for me.

Pm if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Would a 25.5 fit?
    that depends on the BSL of the 25.5. Whats the boot?

Rossignol 9X. The "cheater cut" 21m. Race plate for FKS. Out of my purge I will miss these the most. $20 plus S&H?

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Rossignol 9X. The "cheater cut" 21m. Race plate for FKS. Out of my purge I will miss these the most. $20 plus S&H?

Where are you located?

Shipping out of Toronto, Ontario

Maybe want the olympus mons with the FKS that came off these skis and experience both spectrums of being a man.