Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Report

The Town of Breckenridge just announced that anyone with COVID symptoms can now get tested. This effort is definitely a month too late for most of us in this area, but better late than never I guess. I'll have to wait for a reliable antibody test.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    The Town of Breckenridge just announced that anyone with COVID symptoms can now get tested. This effort is definitely a month too late for most of us in this area, but better late than never I guess. I'll have to wait for a reliable antibody test.
    They need this to justify opening doors. I'm in the same boat as you. This could have gone so much better if the prior response wasn't just stay at home unless you are at the door. But lack of tests was real I suppose.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    This was towards end of the training so probably somewhere 50-75 miles a week.
    I wanted to cut 20 mins off of NYC Marathon since Chicago is a lot easier (flat) course.
    I ran more miles on pavement and ignored signs from my body.
    All kinds of bad choices.

Speaking of broken hip.
    I had nightmare I broke my hip again.
    Argh!!!
    Ouch! Yeah, as runners (and really, with most physical activities), we're used to pushing past pain barriers and being rewarded on the other side, like most of our pains are a mind-over-matter type of pain. But, sometimes, we run into a more literal type of pain...

I hope you recover quickly from your hip, and then hopefully you can be ready for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield3d View Post
    Ouch! Yeah, as runners (and really, with most physical activities), we're used to pushing past pain barriers and being rewarded on the other side, like most of our pains are a mind-over-matter type of pain. But, sometimes, we run into a more literal type of pain...

I hope you recover quickly from your hip, and then hopefully you can be ready for next year!
    I was a semi professional fencer junior high and high school (foil to be exact) so I am familiar with excessive training and enduring pain.
    Often I'll way pass that barrier and end up getting injured.
    I should be better at listening to my body rather than demanding.

so I didnt see anyone else ask

do you think there is any lasting damage to your lungs or body ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

COVID-19 Report

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so I didnt see anyone else ask

do you think there is any lasting damage to your lungs or body ??
    I don’t think so?
    Since I don’t think I have lung damages.
    (congested coughs, trouble breathing, chest pains... etc)
    But who knows.
    No one seem to really know what’s going on with this virus.
    For now there isn’t much I can do since I can’t even get a chest X-ray.
    My doctor will take this into consideration for next annual checkup.
    Right now, I’m just trying to get some physical strength back.

Antibody testing is marginal. People with mild symptoms, and younger cohorts can both not show detectable antibodies.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...189v1.full.pdf

Glad you are both healthy and made it through! Thanks for sharing.

I had COVID symptoms for 14 days (March 17-30) .....fever (peaked at 102), fatigue, body aches, head ache, chills, sweats, tightness in chest/shortness of breath, mild dry cough AND I lost all ability to taste and smell for 11 days. I sounded and felt congested, but no runny nose/mucus.....for me it was very much a "dry" condition. Days 1-6 weren't too bad, but days 7-11 were pretty rough. A lot of those days I would get to feeling 'okay' throughout the day only to go downhill quickly in the evening with fever and fatigue. Some of the symptoms I found quite unique compared to the flu..... 1) The dryness of it all, no congestion but still had sinus inflammation and headache. 2) The overall duration of it with many 'ebb and flow' symptomatic moments......more than a few times I thought I had turned the corner only to get crushed by symptoms. 3) The loss of taste and smell. Not only was it physically terrible, but at about day 9-10 it became mentally draining. Over it!

Unfortunately, I couldn't get tested where I'm at......was told to just stay home, take Tylenol and rest up. Only visit the ER if I had difficulty breathing. My doctor labelled me 'suspected positive', so at this point I'll have to wait for an antibody test to be certain it was COVID. I was cleared a week ago to go back to work, since I met the CDC criteria. Glad to have that behind me and I do feel good now, although I feel like my lung capacity isn't quite back to 100%.

My daughter's symptoms were only a mild headache for a day and a half and loss of smell for 7 days. My wife never exhibited any symptoms.
    COVID antibody test = POSITIVE.
    Old's Cool.

Interesting....were you aware you had it?

Ooops.....Guess I should have read your first post.

so, you gonna go out and test that there new found immunity?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    so, you gonna go out and test that there new found immunity?
    I've already been licking all of the self-checkout touch pads at the supermarket.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I know this will be tl;dr for most, but a friend posted this on FB today, 4/20, and I thought it was worth sharing and I wasn't sure where else to share it, so here it is. FWIW, this guy is under 50 and way, way faster than me on a bike or skis and I think anyone who's skied or ridden with me would say that I'm pretty fast myself...

It's been too much to think about posting for awhile but thought I'd try to get this out there while I felt up for it. Hopefully it sheds some light on this COVID-19 situation for some people. This is in no way meant to be political or to call anyone out. It's just my personal experience with COVID-19. I'm hoping that this information might help other people. It's been 46 days since I was exposed to someone that I eventually found out tested positive to COVID-19. I do not know if I was in contact with them enough to get COVID-19 or if I possibly picked it up at a later date but I do know, where I live, there are large amounts of people that either have been confirmed or suspected to have COVID-19. I also know that most everyone that I know has not been tested (although some have been). I first started feeling symptoms about 5 days after that exposure and, at the time, didn't think much of it. I had been skiing at this time and even felt well enough to tow my 4 year old son up a mountain and ski down with him. I only had a slight burning in my chest and some fatigue but not other symptoms. This was early on and the news about COVID for me at that time was very limited and still not overly concerning. I had basic symptoms for about 10 days until I noticed one day I had some shortness of breath. I ended up in the ER room a few days later with what, at the time, I thought was a heart attack (I still didn't know enough about COIVD 19 at that point).

Unfortunately, do to lack of testing availability, I was unable to get a test and was not able to get a test until 38 days from exposure (think about this--38 days until I was able to get a test). I spent the evening in the ER and although I was in rough shape I did not warrant a stay which was good news. My heart turned out to be ok and my lungs were not filled at that time. My 02 levels were low but I was still able to breathe on my own (barely but I could do it). The ER doctor said at the time, we can't test you but I am 100% sure you have COVID-19. I spent several days at home barely able to eat, sleep or function with multiple calls to the ER for support. They were all great to speak to and each time they said to try and tough it out and unless I was going unconscious to stay at home. At every moment I felt like I was dying. My body was telling me that but luckily I was not. I had a constant feeling of impending doom and had to struggle to do anything. I had a lot of other symptoms as well. After a few days of really struggling and then feeling slightly better and then really struggling again it was recommended that we go to a lower elevation to avoid having to be put in the hospital. We were able to move into a house in Grand Junction and completely quarantine ourselves there. I want to be clear that as soon as I started to feel bad and thought that I could possible have COVID-19 I completely isolated myself and have been quarantined ever since. I figured we would be in GJ for a few days. We ended up there for over 2 weeks with me back in the ER on one other occasion. Again, no test and no conclusive information on what to do other than wait it out. I finally got a teleconference with a Pulmonologist. I COULD NOT, NO MATTER HOW MANY PHONE CALLS I MADE, GET AN APPOINTMENT WITH A DOCTOR. The pulmonologist was great but had limited information because we could only talk on the computer.

At that point someone said we should be in Denver to see a Pulmonologist there where they had a clinic set up for COVID patients. So, thankfully we were able to secure a home there and get an appointment right away. I hate that I feel I need to say this but my family and I have been extremely diligent in our travels (we have paid extra to clean, we have disinfected everything in any home we have been in, we have been completely quarantined, when we drove from GJ to Denver only my wife got gas with new gloves on and then we didn't stop until we got in the house there, etc.). Before leaving Grand Junction they finally agreed to test me. I was never able to get a test in either ER--they are strictly reserving those for critically ill patients. THIS IS THE CRAZY THING. I still, 38 days later, don't know if I actually have COVID-19. I do believe I do but there is a chance I have some other pulmonary illness but I can't get a diagnosis because no one will see me. I did end up getting the test result back a few days later and it came back NEGATIVE. Great news, other than the fact that I still can't breathe. I don't have any symptoms now except I can't breathe, my head is pounding and my chest feels like it is going to explode. I have been unable to breathe one normal breath in over 30 days. I am seriously concerned about permanent lung damage at this point and have had a miserable month. In Denver I was able to see a pulmonologist last Wednesday where they tested me again and ran blood work, etc. They said they would get back with me within 24 hours with results. I did not hear from then again until Saturday (3 days later!) after calling them numerous times and they finally told me that the test was INDETERMINATE and that I needed another test. I was able to get that test Saturday afternoon and that came back NEGATIVE again. You would think, after 38 days that I would be negative and I'm not surprised by that but it doesn't change the fact that I can't breathe. It's Monday and I had another teleconference to go over my results with a pulmonologist over the computer and they cancelled the conference while I was on hold to see the Dr. It is rescheduled for later today. I have to get 2 negative tests in a row before they will actually run any pulmonology tests on me so I have to go back and get another test today. Hopefully that is negative.

I'm hoping this is COVID and that I am negative for good now and can finally work on recovering. But, why, 2 days ago, did I feel the need to go back to the ER?--even though I did not go. Some days are better (bad but better) other days are the longest, hardest days I have ever had. If I knew for sure I had COVID-19 I could at least deal with that. Hopefully this week I finally get answers. I want to thank everyone--and there have been so many--for all your help and thoughts and well wishes. I am going to get better no matter what. My goal today is to try to get REAL help. Tomorrow it will be to get well enough to get home. Maybe in the next few weeks it will be to go for a walk. We'll see.
    Fuuuuuuck.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Fuuuuuuck.
    That story is almost identical to our friend in Minnesota's experience. She is trying to get an antibody test. Still struggling. She is like 70 days out now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    That story is almost identical to our friend in Minnesota's experience. She is trying to get an antibody test. Still struggling. She is like 70 days out now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Same guy (Jay) and some others talk about their recovery here: http://crestedbuttenews.com/2020/05/...s-of-covid-19/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Same guy (Jay) and some others talk about their recovery here: http://crestedbuttenews.com/2020/05/...s-of-covid-19/
    When I read or hear people claim 'it's just a flu', I come back to reports like these and wonder how people can be so callous.

I hope your friends heal and you and yours stay healthy and well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Is there a survivor Greek club yet?

Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    Me and my family members are all negative.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but our hospital received our first supply of the Pfizer vaccine (the currently inconveniently named "BNT162b2") on Monday, and I got my first of two shots for the COVID-19 vaccine today. Immediate reaction is that the shot was extremely unremarkable. It felt like a normal flu shot, and I've definitely had worse. But, since it's only been 7 hours since I've had the shot, I'm sort of expecting tomorrow to feel worse since the trial data published in the NEJM (https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577) talked about a pretty high incidence of mild/moderate headache and fatigue. Though, for what its worth, the incidence of headache and fatigue in that same article was also really high in the placebo group too...

COVID-19 Report

So.
    It’s been 8 months since I got over this thing.
    I recently had an annual checkup which included an antibody test and I still have antibodies?
    I wonder if it was because my body had to fight extra hard without being hospitalized?
    Anyways.
    I’m still alive and still kicking.

Garfield3d, I’m happy you got the vaccine and hope it settles nicely with your system.
    Keep us posted!

Go choi go!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I live in New Rochelle, New York where it happened to be the epicenter of coronavirus.
    This is my trip report contracting and recovering COVID-19.

Myself is 47 year old female who's pretty active.
    I used to run a lot until I stress fractured my femoral neck from running too much.
    I went in this fight with a good heart and a nice set of lungs.
    My annual checkups always been good, no preexisting conditions and no medications.

Boyfriend is 46 year old who's also fairly active.
    He has higher blood pressure which he takes low dosage medication for.
    He works in Manhattan and commutes via Metro North and subways.
    We suspect he contracted along the way somewhere.

After

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
    But I'm glad we went through and (hopefully) done.

It is so nice to be out again and get some fresh air.
    I never knew air can actually taste sweet.
    We both lost so much strength from this fight it was hard to even walk a mile around our neighborhood.
    I never been this physically weak in my life.
    One day at a time.

Attachment 324634

This whole experience opened my eyes to focus what's really important in our lives.
    Out of horrible pandemic, I have some priceless lessons to walk away.

As far as we know, we didn't infect any of our co-workers, neighbors or friends which gives us comfort to know.

We filled out application at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan to take antibody test to donate our plasma for other COVID-19 patients fight.
    Anything to help to end this pandemic.

Going to pop a champagne this weekend to celebrate life and end 33 day dry spell.

Attachment 324635

Stay safe and stay healthy, mags!
    Thank you for sharing your whole fight with this virus. It serves as a waking call to those people who still don't give a sh1t about this covid-19. Glad you and your boyfriend was finally able to get back to your feet and now in better situations.

Nice, NMC.

Hang in there, Garfield.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. As a small update, Day 1 after the vaccine hasn't been bad. I haven't noticed any fatigue or headache yet. The left arm pain is a bit more noticeable, and it gets worse depending on whether I have it flexed vs. just relaxed. Still, I'd say it's only a 2-3 out of 10 on the pain scale, and the spicy biriyani that I had for lunch was a lot worse. I'll update if anything ridiculous happens, and maybe again after the 2nd shot. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask, but it's been pretty unremarkable so far.

Also, it's really heartening to hear that you still have antibodies Choi! I was listening in on the FDA VRBPAC meeting on Youtube today, and the duration of the vaccine response was a big unknown that came up a few times. Knowing that your antibodies are floating around gives me a little bit more hope that immunity can last long enough to snuff this out over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Is there a survivor Greek club yet?
    Not sure if this is what you meant but a club certainly exists:
    https://www.survivorcorps.com/
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Hey, goldenboy - has your friend considered getting vaccinated? I've heard it brings these symptoms to a fairly rapid grinding halt. If he has had it, it might be the proof he's wanted.