Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Report

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. Glad you're both recovering!

COVID-19 Report

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Glad you both made it through without it getting too crazy. Look forward to skiing with ya again someday!
    Absolutely.
    Can’t wait!!

Celebrating life.
    Good to be alive.

Impressive attitude above all else. Wow.

Thanks for sharing, glad you guys are doing better.

Wow
    covid didn’t stand a chance. You kick ass, nutmeg. I’m in New Roc all the time visiting customers. Parts of it are really nice. Glad you got through.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Wow
    covid didn’t stand a chance. You kick ass, nutmeg. I’m in New Roc all the time visiting customers. Parts of it are really nice. Glad you got through.
    We live by the water so it's nice to walk around after WFH.
    I can't believe walking around the neighborhood became the most exciting part of my day.

When the whole thing calm down a bit and you come around again, let me know!

So glad to see this wrap up. Inspiring tale you've told here!
    Hadn't posted yet kept meaning to but been busy.
    Golf will come back into your life I know you're bummed you cant get out there!!
    Happy for you guys.

( and about that pool, how much did you win ?)

COVID-19 Report

Hooker and blow!
    Lucky me!!

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Hooker and blow!
    Lucky me!!
    You only got one hooker? You're doing it wrong.��

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    You only got one hooker? You're doing it wrong.��
    Probably because I’m a girl.
    This is sexism!!

We live by the water so it's nice to walk around after WFH.
    I can't believe walking around the neighborhood became the most exciting part of my day.

When the whole thing calm down a bit and you come around again, let me know!
    Yup, that's a nice area. I still have a customer there next to the grocery store that keeps going out of business. I've always thought I should paddle my kayak over there but when push comes to shove I don't feel like crossing the bridge on a weekend and end up in the Hudson instead.

Thanks for posting this! I just saw it, haven't ventured in this forum for awhile. Glad you made it through!
    Last edited by Jax; 04-16-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks. This thread just really improved my mood.
    I'm glad you're well enough to leave the house and drink champagne. That's so wonderful.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Very glad you are okay and that you've kept a sense of humor throughout.

I now know a couple of people who have had COVID-19 bad. Can be bad shit even if you are healthy and not elderly. It's not just killing older people. People need to take it very seriously.

Awesome awesomeness Meg. You and Mr Meg are an inspiration.

I was working pediatrics March 6th, seeing a kid with a funky viral pneumonia. As I'm checking him out, his dad is sitting there sweating. Family from Seattle had just visited the week before. Seattle is where this shit kicked off in February. Same day I saw another kid with viral pneumonia and his dad was sweating as well....uggh. I knew right then it was covid. Couldn't test, too early in the game.

4 days later I had diarrhea/fatigue. Then day four mild chest pain, very subtle cough, headaches. Day 8-10 very fatigued, sweating, body aches. Fever for 14 days, range of 99.5-100.1. Kid/wife got sick four days after I did. I work ER/Critical care/family practice for 23 years, I know healthcare very well. On day 4-5 my 8 year old son had respiratory rate of 50-60 (3 times normal) but looked fine otherwise. Entire right lung was GROSSLY diminished. Gambled and stayed home, should have gone to ED but Seattle Childrens had no kids in critical care, so I made decision based on that. Kid was much improved the next day. Wife was febrile 14 days, days 8-10 had diminshed lung sounds on right, chest pain, weakness, etc, etc. Long story short, we were all febrile for 14 day. My kids condition I would classify as VERY serious. Any other day he'd be admitted to the PICU based on his respiratory status. It sucked. I lost 5-6 pounds in one week, had zero appetite, etc.

I had negative PCR covid test day 12, but viral loads at that point can be very low and the sensitivity of the test is marginal if done after day 5. IgM antibody testing is better form day 6-15, then IgG antibody testing after recovery. I'm getting IgG tested next week so I can go back to flight nursing and hopefully not worry about it as much (assuming it is positive).

They say kids don't get sick, but studies out of China showed 6% of kids had serious illness. In 23 years of healthcare I've never seen a kid decline so rapidly, but also recover so rapidly. Terrifying.

Holy crap Trackhead. Thanks for the report and glad you are all recovered.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank god you and your family recovered from the virus, Trackhead.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

I been trying to get antibody tested with 3 different organizations.
    Mount Sinai, Montefiore and New York Blood Center.
    I filled out applications as soon as I cleared but haven’t heard back from any of them yet.
    They do say they can’t test me any sooner than two weeks after the last symptoms.
    Hopefully I’ll hear back soon to donate whatever I can provide.

Let me know how your antibody test goes.
    I’m curious to know what’s ahead.

Not really necessary for you to get IgG testing at this point, you've had a positive PCR test. You have antibodies.

I'm getting one done because my PCR swab was done day 12, when I was nearly recovered and at a point when the test is somewhat useless due to low viral shedding at that time of illness.

The question people have is, "am I now immune". I've read some studies where labs infected monkeys with SARS-COV2, the monkeys recovered, then they "reinfected" them. The monkeys had a very brief duration of fever, similar to what some people experience when getting an immunization, but had no illness. This suggests immunity. Other studies of antibody duration in SARS-COV1 suggested that IgG antibodies peaked around day 21 after illness onset and had an 18-20 month duration before tapering off.

I’ve already passed my relief and congrats on to nmc backchannel, but damn TH, I’m glad it wasn’t worse for you.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 04-19-2020 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Clarity

I want to donate my plasma and blood and I think they require antibody test for those from recovered COVID-19 patients.
    At least that’s how I understand.

I want to donate my plasma and blood and I think they require antibody test for those from recovered COVID-19 patients.
    At least that’s how I understand.
    Oh yeah, awesome!

I know this will be tl;dr for most, but a friend posted this on FB today, 4/20, and I thought it was worth sharing and I wasn't sure where else to share it, so here it is. FWIW, this guy is under 50 and way, way faster than me on a bike or skis and I think anyone who's skied or ridden with me would say that I'm pretty fast myself...

It's been too much to think about posting for awhile but thought I'd try to get this out there while I felt up for it. Hopefully it sheds some light on this COVID-19 situation for some people. This is in no way meant to be political or to call anyone out. It's just my personal experience with COVID-19. I'm hoping that this information might help other people. It's been 46 days since I was exposed to someone that I eventually found out tested positive to COVID-19. I do not know if I was in contact with them enough to get COVID-19 or if I possibly picked it up at a later date but I do know, where I live, there are large amounts of people that either have been confirmed or suspected to have COVID-19. I also know that most everyone that I know has not been tested (although some have been). I first started feeling symptoms about 5 days after that exposure and, at the time, didn't think much of it. I had been skiing at this time and even felt well enough to tow my 4 year old son up a mountain and ski down with him. I only had a slight burning in my chest and some fatigue but not other symptoms. This was early on and the news about COVID for me at that time was very limited and still not overly concerning. I had basic symptoms for about 10 days until I noticed one day I had some shortness of breath. I ended up in the ER room a few days later with what, at the time, I thought was a heart attack (I still didn't know enough about COIVD 19 at that point).

Unfortunately, do to lack of testing availability, I was unable to get a test and was not able to get a test until 38 days from exposure (think about this--38 days until I was able to get a test). I spent the evening in the ER and although I was in rough shape I did not warrant a stay which was good news. My heart turned out to be ok and my lungs were not filled at that time. My 02 levels were low but I was still able to breathe on my own (barely but I could do it). The ER doctor said at the time, we can't test you but I am 100% sure you have COVID-19. I spent several days at home barely able to eat, sleep or function with multiple calls to the ER for support. They were all great to speak to and each time they said to try and tough it out and unless I was going unconscious to stay at home. At every moment I felt like I was dying. My body was telling me that but luckily I was not. I had a constant feeling of impending doom and had to struggle to do anything. I had a lot of other symptoms as well. After a few days of really struggling and then feeling slightly better and then really struggling again it was recommended that we go to a lower elevation to avoid having to be put in the hospital. We were able to move into a house in Grand Junction and completely quarantine ourselves there. I want to be clear that as soon as I started to feel bad and thought that I could possible have COVID-19 I completely isolated myself and have been quarantined ever since. I figured we would be in GJ for a few days. We ended up there for over 2 weeks with me back in the ER on one other occasion. Again, no test and no conclusive information on what to do other than wait it out. I finally got a teleconference with a Pulmonologist. I COULD NOT, NO MATTER HOW MANY PHONE CALLS I MADE, GET AN APPOINTMENT WITH A DOCTOR. The pulmonologist was great but had limited information because we could only talk on the computer.

At that point someone said we should be in Denver to see a Pulmonologist there where they had a clinic set up for COVID patients. So, thankfully we were able to secure a home there and get an appointment right away. I hate that I feel I need to say this but my family and I have been extremely diligent in our travels (we have paid extra to clean, we have disinfected everything in any home we have been in, we have been completely quarantined, when we drove from GJ to Denver only my wife got gas with new gloves on and then we didn't stop until we got in the house there, etc.). Before leaving Grand Junction they finally agreed to test me. I was never able to get a test in either ER--they are strictly reserving those for critically ill patients. THIS IS THE CRAZY THING. I still, 38 days later, don't know if I actually have COVID-19. I do believe I do but there is a chance I have some other pulmonary illness but I can't get a diagnosis because no one will see me. I did end up getting the test result back a few days later and it came back NEGATIVE. Great news, other than the fact that I still can't breathe. I don't have any symptoms now except I can't breathe, my head is pounding and my chest feels like it is going to explode. I have been unable to breathe one normal breath in over 30 days. I am seriously concerned about permanent lung damage at this point and have had a miserable month. In Denver I was able to see a pulmonologist last Wednesday where they tested me again and ran blood work, etc. They said they would get back with me within 24 hours with results. I did not hear from then again until Saturday (3 days later!) after calling them numerous times and they finally told me that the test was INDETERMINATE and that I needed another test. I was able to get that test Saturday afternoon and that came back NEGATIVE again. You would think, after 38 days that I would be negative and I'm not surprised by that but it doesn't change the fact that I can't breathe. It's Monday and I had another teleconference to go over my results with a pulmonologist over the computer and they cancelled the conference while I was on hold to see the Dr. It is rescheduled for later today. I have to get 2 negative tests in a row before they will actually run any pulmonology tests on me so I have to go back and get another test today. Hopefully that is negative.

I'm hoping this is COVID and that I am negative for good now and can finally work on recovering. But, why, 2 days ago, did I feel the need to go back to the ER?--even though I did not go. Some days are better (bad but better) other days are the longest, hardest days I have ever had. If I knew for sure I had COVID-19 I could at least deal with that. Hopefully this week I finally get answers. I want to thank everyone--and there have been so many--for all your help and thoughts and well wishes. I am going to get better no matter what. My goal today is to try to get REAL help. Tomorrow it will be to get well enough to get home. Maybe in the next few weeks it will be to go for a walk. We'll see.

Glad that you're doing better Meg, and happy to read these success stories. About your hip, though, how many miles were you running per week when you fractured your femur?

It feels like testing availability has gotten better in a lot of cities, but I can't imagine how aggravating it is outside of metropolitan areas. Sorry to hear that it was such a hassle for your friend Goldenboy. Sounds like he's on the upshot though, so that's a relief.

COVID-19 Report

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield3d View Post
    Glad that you're doing better Meg, and happy to read these success stories. About your hip, though, how many miles were you running per week when you fractured your femur?
    This was towards end of the training so probably somewhere 50-75 miles a week.
    I wanted to cut 20 mins off of NYC Marathon since Chicago is a lot easier (flat) course.
    I ran more miles on pavement and ignored signs from my body.
    All kinds of bad choices.

Speaking of broken hip.
    I had nightmare I broke my hip again.
    Argh!!!