Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: RIP John Prine

Sturgil had a post on his Instagram (since been deleted) that said something to the effect of "those well worn spots on their guitars are where they scraped the rebel flags off recently." Heavily paraphrased, but the point remains.

Also this: https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/st...n-cma-busking/

RIP John Prine

Simpson and Prine had Covid at about the same time. Were they together?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Simpson and Prine had Covid at about the same time. Were they together?
    They wrote a lot together, shared a studio I believe.

There is a great interview with the 2 of them on the youtube
    Last edited by Woodsy; 11-16-2020 at 10:29 AM.

RIP John Prine

I just got the purple double live album from Oh Boy records today. I laid on the carpet and played that shit start to finish. He was such a golden soul. I love Sturgils rant
    Hello darkness my old friend

The CMA? It's not country, it's just bad rock n roll.

RIP John Prine

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hah!

Sturgill Simpson joined Isbell in calling out the show for not mentioning Prine. “Don’t get it twisted…wouldn’t be caught dead at this tacky ass glitter and botox cake & cock pony show even if my chair had a morphine drip,” Simpson wrote, in a post viewed by Pitchfork that has since been deleted. “I just wanted to see if they would say his name but nope.”
    Sturgill is a boss. Dude gives no fucks about the bullshit awards, just makes his art and writes great songs. Good to see Isbell and Shires see it for what it is as well. Nobody better to carry on Prine’s ethos.

Steve Earle on most of the music coming out of Nashville these days:

"They’re just doing hip-hop for people who are afraid of black people. I like the new Kendrick Lamar record, so I’ll just listen to that."

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Steve Earle on most of the music coming out of Nashville these days:

"They’re just doing hip-hop for people who are afraid of black people. I like the new Kendrick Lamar record, so I’ll just listen to that."
    that is the realest quote i have heard in some time
    swing your fucking sword.

The best country singers are making the best new music we have. The worst are making music that's as vapid and formulaic as the worst disco.

There are a few new guys that bring it. I really like Colter Wall, good traditional sound and what a voice. Tyler Childers is pretty bad ass. I was on a lost dog (Benjamin Todd) Kick for a minute, his voice wears on me tho.

That dude from Yosemite can jump off a bridge, that shit is the epitome of wanna be bs.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The CMA? It's not country, it's just bad rock n roll.
    Edit-I've been corrected by Steve Earle. It's not country, it's just bad hip hop. ("It's Not Country, It's Just Bad Rock and Roll"--is a song by I forget whom)

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    The worst are making music that's as vapid and formulaic as the worst disco.
    Obligatory

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0966.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	348177

Today’s Spotify...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Shake it, shake it Sugaree...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    They wrote a lot together, shated a studio I believe.

There isca great interview with the 2 of them on the youtube
    Is that past tense of shart ?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Obligatory
    JFC. Antidote: http://revisionisthistory.com/episod...-king-of-tears

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    They wrote a lot together, shared a studio I believe.

There is a great interview with the 2 of them on the youtube

from Saving Country Music site:
    John Prine Had a Porsche 911, and Left It to Sturgill Simpson

There’s no money in folk music, or so we’re told. But apparently that wasn’t the case for John Prine. Or at least it wasn’t the case for him later in life. From the “Singing Mailman” moonlighting in Chicago poet bars after finishing his routes, to one of the most revered songwriters of a generation, John Prine got to enjoy something many in music don’t before they pass away: a victory lap.

After five decades of paying dues and all that hard work paying off, John Prine decided to treat himself to his dream car—a Porsche 911 Turbo. It wasn’t a brand new model mind you. It was a 2008. But it was in mint condition, with barely any miles on it. If you’re having trouble picturing John Prine in a Porsche, you’re not alone. In fact, according to his wife Fiona, “…neither he nor I could get in or out of [it].”

But that didn’t really matter to John. In typical John Prine fashion, it’s what he wanted, so he bought it in early 2019, right around the time Dave Cobb came by Prine’s house with an engineer to capture the final song Prine ever recorded, “I Remember Everything.” Dave Cobb says the purchase of the Porsche “tells you where he was at. He was still ready to raise hell.”

After John Prine passed away on April 7th, 2020, he bequeathed the car to Sturgill Simpson. Prine and Sturgill both shared an office together in Nashville, in the same complex that David Ferguson’s The Butcher Shoppe recording studio is currently located, and where Sturgill recorded his latest album, Cuttin’ Grass, Vol. 1. The two performers were also close friends—close enough that Prine would leave Sturgill a Porsche.

“I just recently became the new owner of his 2008 Porsche 911 turbo,” Sturgill told Stephen Colbert on November 10th when he stopped by The Late Show for a performance and chat. When Colbert was taken by surprise by the idea of Prine owning a Porsche, Sturgill assured, “Oh he’s a total car guy. He had a bunch of old Cadillacs. The 911 was his bucket list dream car. It’s only got about 20,000 miles on it. It’s showroom.”

It appears Sturgill understands that this isn’t just a Porsche 911 Turbo. This is John Prine’s Porsche 911 Turbo. “I like music and cars that go real fast. But I have three children, and I feel like I just had a fourth with the responsibility that comes with this thing. It’s bittersweet, but it will be something I treasure the rest of my life.”

" have another hit of sweet california sunshine"

I fucking love that song. But I didn't really like that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Love Kurt Vile man. He has a duet w/ JP on that EP too.

Me too

^^ check out 'It's Easy(like walkin')by The Sadie's. Bad ass tune dood!

Hadn’t heard that one yet, thanks man!

NPR finished off their annual montage of musicians that passed this year with John Prine. As they should have. As subjective as music is it, I suppose you could argue for any one of them so it brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye when they nailed it. He was as 2020 as they get. In life and death.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk