Logan River Fly Fishing 411

Dudes and Dudettes,

I'm a rookie caster and thinking of hitting the Logan River Utah this week for the first time. Would appreciate some input on two topics:

1. What should I consider rigging? I usually try to run a dry fly above a nymph, but never sure how far to space them, if I need more weight, or even if that is what I should be chucking. Any rules of thumb for the Logan River?

2. Any recommendation for spots along the Logan? I'm not great with fast turbulent waters.
    Last edited by niknoid; 04-04-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Are you talking about the Logan river in Utah?
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I don't often chuck bobbers
    when I do
    pinks 4 da boobies
    they don't call the bounce rig sluttin for nuttin
    get um down and in the strike zone
    Ray Charles or jujucraven stuff well you can throw the brace of 3
    bacons and eggs if ya really needs to gits em
    sums will eat the meat
    so will trees but youre a jong to the whip stick round here that's what we call rooks
    haz fun attempts to stay safe
    aint no fishin sticky
    but aside from the bird cunter this lil chunk of the tgrz is generally a stoke haven with limited drivals and needless flame stuffs
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Logan River Fly Fishing 411

Park in the pulloff that’s 12.85 miles up the canyon from mile marker 72.
    You’ll see two trails, take the red one. Follow that past 2 riffles, then at the 4th pool cross to the other side of the river.
    You’ll see a big branch hanging across the river. On the back side of the branch is a Flybrary (look it up). I’ve put the appropriate flies on that Flybrary. Take one, cast it up and OVER the rock at the head of the pool, not around the rock.
    Count to 3 and set the hook.
    Don’t forget to leave a fly on the Flybrary.

Holy shit, that's the best tip for a rookie I've ever heard.

Well thanks!

@Underoos, flybrary, that is a new one for me. Sounds like a great idea, I'm looking forward to trying it out and contributing.

@skifishbum, appreciate the input I really do. I think I have an idea of what your saying, but I'm gonna have to spend some time with bablefish and see if I can make more sense out of it!

Thanks all!

GIANT rainbows in there, but your directions need some work!

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Park in the pulloff that’s 12.85 miles up the canyon from mile marker 72.
    You’ll see two trails, take the red one. Follow that past 2 riffles, then at the 4th pool cross to the other side of the river.
    You’ll see a big branch hanging across the river. On the back side of the branch is a Flybrary (look it up). I’ve put the appropriate flies on that Flybrary. Take one, cast it up and OVER the rock at the head of the pool, not around the rock.
    Count to 3 and set the hook.
    Don’t forget to leave a fly on the Flybrary.