Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I really don't like (movie edition):

LB's post got me thinking of movies. I never really liked Apocalypse Now. The only joy I ever got from this movie was watching FFC fall apart during its creation in Hearts of Darkness.

I also hated Citizen Kane.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I'll agree on Citizen Kane, but totally disagree on Apocalypse now. As my brother once said, if you rent three movies and one of them isn't Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Reservoir Dogs or Scarface, you fucked up.

Not a big fan of anything featuring Hannibal Lecter.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Reservoir Dogs
    ^^^^^^^^^^ I'm two thirds of the way to fucked up.

Also, I'd like to add A Clockwork Orange.

Citizen Kane didn't do it for me either. Much prefer The Third Man or The Maltese Falcon as far as grestest films of that era are concerned.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Hating Citizen Kane? Orson Welles was the man (before he went nuts, alot like FFC)

Don't like American Graffiti, Sideways.
    Elvis has left the building

Splash

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    Splash

Splash had butt and boobies, and was released at a time in my life when butts and boobies were all it took to make a movie great. Hence, it's a winner by default.

Apocalypse Now - goes seriously of the rails after a good first half
    Blade Runner - ditto
    Clockwork Orange - when I finally got to see it was just "meh"
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    Blade Runner
    I couldn't figure out this one either
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I love Apocalypse Now until the final scenes with Marlon Brando. IMO it goes off the rails at that point and turns cheesy. I love the Doors' song "The End" in the opening scenes.

Sideways is climbing the charts as one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Boring...

dazed and confused.

Well looks like woodsy is a pussy but I agree: PNWBrit- Dude, you have awful taste in movies. Any of those three could be individually forgiven but not all three. Damn dude.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    Blade Runner Clockwork Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp
    I couldn't figure out this one either
    Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the sholder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

Deckard: I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Well looks like woodsy is a pussy but I agree: PNWBrit- Dude, you have awful taste in movies. Any of those three could be individually forgiven but not all three. Damn dude.
    Really?

My top 10 Movies in no particular order:

Pulp Fiction
    Monsieur Hulot's Holiday
    Dr Strangelove
    Wages of Fear
    Black Hawk Down
    Blues Brothers
    Paths of Glory
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Longest Day
    Lord of the Rings (counts as one choice?)

I just thought both Apocalypse Now and Blade Runner started off great but got badly lost along the way.

Clockwork Orange - Huge disappointment when I finally saw it after all the years it was banned in Britain and the cult status it acheived there. I'm a huge fan of some of Kubricks stuff (Dr Strangelove, Paths of Glory etc.) but he was erratic - exhibit 1 being Eyes Wide Shut and exhibit 2 I'd suggest Clockwork Orange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Viva
    Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the sholder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

Deckard: I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.
    The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

And you have burned so very, very brightly.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Watch the "director's cut" of Blade Runner, which is the version without the corny '40s-style detective voice-over. It's a much different, much darker, much better movie.

Blade Runner is on my list of all-time favorites.

For one of the crappiest movies ever, try Battlefield Earth, John Travolta's scientology flick.

-Karl
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Karl- or anyone really, have you heard or subscribe to the theory that deckard himself is a replicant? Heard it before my most recent viewing, if watched with an eye to this I would say at this point I lean to the "yes he is" category.

agreed on the director's cut.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

On Director's Cuts. How many people on the don't like Apocalypse Now list have seen Apocalypse Redux? More coherent, better IMHO.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    On Director's Cuts. How many people on the don't like Apocalypse Now list have seen Apocalypse Redux? More coherent, better IMHO.
    Agreed. Except for the scene w/ the French, that could have stayed on the editing room floor.

Karl- or anyone really, have you heard or subscribe to the theory that deckard himself is a replicant? Heard it before my most recent viewing, if watched with an eye to this I would say at this point I lean to the "yes he is" category.

agreed on the director's cut.
    I thought Deckard was a replicant because of the unicorn scene. When Gaff (Deckard's superior on the blade runner police team) leaves the origami unicorn on Deckard's doorstep, how else could he have known what Deckard was dreaming?

Ridley Scott (the director) came out and stated in 2002 that Deckard was a replicant:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/825641.stm
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Agreed. Except for the scene w/ the French, that could have stayed on the editing room floor.
    That was weird, although Martin Sheen did get to dork the French gal.

Viva hearts dorking French chicks.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

It's a Wonderful Life... makes me want to puke.

Once thought showing Apocalypse Now redux to HS students would be a cool excercise in literary form/function- I was quite wrong. Seminal flick though.

Blair Witch Project is the biggest piece of shit horror movie I've ever seen. Not even remotely scary. I was more scared watching my neighbor's home movies with the mom in a bikini.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange
    Blair Witch Project is the biggest piece of shit horror movie I've ever seen. Not even remotely scary. I was more scared watching my neighbor's home movies with the mom in a bikini.
    The fact that I almost made my roommate shit himself by stacking a little pyramid of stones in front of our bedroom door and standing in the corner when he walked in right after he saw the movie proves you dead wrong.

And you being afraid of a MILF proves you gay.

I thought Scarface was a pice of shit. And how come nobody has mentioned 2001 yet? My dad's opinion of 2001: "I've seen it straight, high, tripping, and it still doesn't make any sense."
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)