DIY Pole Scraper

I wanted to pass along a tiny DIY project in case it inspires somebody else:

I am lazy and hate carrying extra weight uphill, so I've been waging war with the snow that always builds up on my black topsheets. I put some 303 aerospace spray on the top which seems to help somewhat. I've also been on the lookout for one of those Voile pole scrapers but haven't had any luck.

So, I decided to DIY a pole scraper. My whippet ready BD poles have a threaded insert and I only have 1 whippet attachment, so I just dedicated 1 of my poles to be a scraper. I took a dremel to an old spackling knife and put a bolt thru it. It works like a charm. I may experiment with a slightly wider scraper as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200329_183216.jpeg 
Views:	156 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	323417

Good idea

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Pretty neat. What diameter/pitch bolt worked?

M6-1.0. I went with 75 mm long.

Good idea! I like the idea of utilizing that threaded hole in the pole.

I’ve have a plastic card (hotel key/old season pass/etc) that lives in my touring pants pocket. Super easy to reach down and scrape topsheets while skinning. Also comes in handy on transitions to scrape snow off bases or pick snow out of bindings. Simple idea for anyone without the BD pole.

Thanks!

Another option for something to toss in your pocket is this camp scraper brush (credit to Cody Townsends 50 bonus episode): https://www.rei.com/product/814694/m...-brushscraper?

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good idea! While we are talking about scrapers, I like the one Voile makes. It's small, works for the common scraping purposes, and has the pointy part that works well for cleaning out tech toe sockets. Still gotta bend down to scrape your topsheets though...
    http://https://www.voile.com/voile-scraper.html
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Very cool. I have those BCA Sceptor scraper poles and they are awesome. One thing to consider is the shape of the Sceptor scraper is very comfortable to have your hand on the top of the pole, whereas your design doesn't look like it would be as comfortable. I have some ancient whippets, have been thinking about a way to upgrade to the new ones and have a removable scraper that you could use most of the time, then use the whippets on the rare occasions they are called for. Seems like something BD could make as an add on

With the ski pole scraper you can clean ski's top sheets on the skin-track without bending or even stopping, which is nice having sore back and heavy backpack. Pocket scraper is a must but more of a thorough ski base and skins tool. I've noticed that my ski partners constantly grabbing my scraper pole on transitions or asking me swipe their bases even having their own pocket scrapers somewhere deep in their pockets, just right tool in the right place.

Also it's super handy for swift manipulations with heel risers, grabbing things from the ground, etc. On the firm snow it acts like "mini" whippet so I can securely place the pole so it will not be blown or rolling anywhere.

For BD Expedition pole

Name:	bd-expedition-scraper.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	324274
    Ver. 2.0 for BC Oxus pole, with Dynafit/G3 toe locking hook-hole added.

Name:	bc-oxus-scraper.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	324275

The only downside so far is when used together with the Whippet - I really miss simple straight pole shaft for fast snow profiling & probing.