Thread: What bike am I?

What bike am I?

I’ve been inspired by all these new “ what bike to buy” threads lately. Doing research on bikes helps with the world right now but it’s also driven me down a road of maybe a new bike.

debating selling my fat bike (trek Farley 5) and getting a 27.5+ hard tail. Thought is I will ride the hardtail a lot more in the summer but could still put 3” tires in the winter and do some winter riding as well. My research so far has led me to a Santa Cruz Chameleon or a Trek Stache. I’ve owned an older Trek Stache (2014 i think) and it was my first 29” and I really didn’t like it.... much more a fan of 27.5”

so with all of that what would you recommend.... I’m somewhat budget conscious especially with what’s going on and will be looking to buy used.

Why not just a bluto and summer wheelset for the farley?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Why not just a bluto and summer wheelset for the farley?
    Debated that... having trouble finding a Bluto right now, but not a bad idea.

I have one for sale, only used it on two rides.
    Pm me your digits and I’ll send pics.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have one for sale, only used it on two rides.
    Pm me your digits and I’ll send pics.
    What you selling? Wanna ship to canada? Feel free to PM!

Happy to ship to Canada, just would have to figure out a fair price for both of us. It is essentially brand new.

If I’m going down this route... what is the narrowest tire one could put on a fat tire rim? Anyone making 3” tires in 26”? Worried the trek still won’t be nimble or playful as one of the other options

Shout out to the guys at Stanton, make some very reasonably priced 831 Reynolds steel stuff. Plus- they are having a huge sale right now.

I ride a Sherpa with a 130mm fork. It can be run 27.5+ or 29” without changing anything on the frame. I run 27.5x3.0. it’s effectively become my short travel trail bike and it can do everything, mile munching, general riding, even had it in the bike park for a day. The HT feels so efficient but the steel has awesome natural compliance and playfulness. I was a hardtail and steel doubter and hater and this has totally changed my view, it’s versatility allowed me to go for a really big FS bike. Absolute love.

https://www.stantonbikes.com/product...-2nd-gen-sale/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28343FDF-EB3A-4BF2-ACEF-F55D635D5CCB.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	854.1 KB 
ID:	323398
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

There are a few 26x3.0 options, I will post them as I find them.

https://www.wtb.com/products/rangerplus

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Surly-...iABEgJFCfD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    If I’m going down this route... what is the narrowest tire one could put on a fat tire rim? Anyone making 3” tires in 26”? Worried the trek still won’t be nimble or playful as one of the other options
    The tire that came with the surly instigator was 26x3

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The tire that came with the surly instigator was 26x3
    Ironically I have a gen 1 instigator frame....

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Shout out to the guys at Stanton, make some very reasonably priced 831 Reynolds steel stuff. Plus- they are having a huge sale right now.

I ride a Sherpa with a 130mm fork. It can be run 27.5+ or 29” without changing anything on the frame. I run 27.5x3.0. it’s effectively become my short travel trail bike and it can do everything, mile munching, general riding, even had it in the bike park for a day. The HT feels so efficient but the steel has awesome natural compliance and playfulness. I was a hardtail and steel doubter and hater and this has totally changed my view, it’s versatility allowed me to go for a really big FS bike. Absolute love.

https://www.stantonbikes.com/product...-2nd-gen-sale/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28343FDF-EB3A-4BF2-ACEF-F55D635D5CCB.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	854.1 KB 
ID:	323398
    nice looking bike... shipping and exchange to Canada puts that frame over 1k right now unfortunately! Chromag has a sale right now... can get a rootdown for $750 which is damn tempting

I’ve been inspired by all these new “ what bike to buy” threads lately. Doing research on bikes helps with the world right now but it’s also driven me down a road of maybe a new bike.

debating selling my fat bike (trek Farley 5) and getting a 27.5+ hard tail. Thought is I will ride the hardtail a lot more in the summer but could still put 3” tires in the winter and do some winter riding as well. My research so far has led me to a Santa Cruz Chameleon or a Trek Stache. I’ve owned an older Trek Stache (2014 i think) and it was my first 29” and I really didn’t like it.... much more a fan of 27.5”

so with all of that what would you recommend.... I’m somewhat budget conscious especially with what’s going on and will be looking to buy used.
    I got a 29+ wheelset for the fatbike to make it more useful for the summer, but it turns out the FS is way more fun for trail riding. I do use the 29+ as a mud season gravel grinder.

No way a 3" tire works for winter riding around here, but obviously you have much less snow.

Debated that... having trouble finding a Bluto right now, but not a bad idea.
    You could go for a Wren fork https://wrensports.com/product/inver...spension-fork/ Let me know if you want a discount code. I've been riding them for 4 years, have them on 3 different bikes and love it.

Ironically I have a gen 1 instigator frame....

The orange one with the massive gusset? Boat anchor! I had one setup for urban once upon a time.

Esker Hayduke, out of stock currently but have frames on the way.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm selling my 2019 Commencal Meta HT.... fits your description pretty well:

https://denver.craigslist.org/bik/d/...097840695.html
    Wicked bike.... would love to but a little out of my price range especially with the wicked canadian/American exchange rate

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The orange one with the massive gusset? Boat anchor! I had one setup for urban once upon a time.

Esker Hayduke, out of stock currently but have frames on the way.
    Mine is black but yah it has massive welds, extra rubbing.... it is not light as you said. I currently have a fox van r on it and I’m slowly building it for a dirt jump/ mess around bike. Got the frame and fork for a song so I thought why not

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums