Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Got it. I will order some angle stock and advise.

ETA: What is the thickness of that angle stock? 1/8"?
    Yup. I believe I noted that in the post above the pic didn’t I?

BTW the flange height of 12 mm is taller than really necessary. I may file mine down to 11 mm or so. I have about 25k ft of skinning on these by now, lots of transitions, and really dig this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Yup. I believe I noted that in the post above the pic didn’t I?
    Yes you did. I was looking at the pic. Is the slot 1/4" or 6mm or so?

Angle stock is ordered, might take awhile to arrive per Covid-19 shipping delays. It'd be nice to have an F1 boot for a realtime fit. Anybody in Seattle area, Eburg, Wenatchee got?

ETA: Price will be around $10/pair + shipping

I'm in for a set if you've got the capacity. Nice mod. I was considering trying to retrofit a buckle with a longer throw, but I like this setup more.

I tied a loop of paracord to the buckle and it helps, especially with thick gloves on unbuckling.
    The buckle is so small... save weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I'm in for a set if you've got the capacity. Nice mod. I was considering trying to retrofit a buckle with a longer throw, but I like this setup more.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Steve, slot width is 5 mm. Sorry I omitted that. Thanks for taking on this project. I’d like to buy a pair from you. Btw I used 1/8” shaft pop rivets and so far they’re working great. I also dremeled the slot edge some more to provide a nicely rounded edge that wouldn’t abrade the Velcro.

Craven, I’ve been looking at mods from the day I bought the boots. Including a longer throw buckle. But in my field tests to simulate a longer throw buckle I still saw a noticeable range of motion advantage to the fully disconnected boot. Especially on sidehills .

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    I tied a loop of paracord to the buckle and it helps, especially with thick gloves on unbuckling.
    Standard procedure for Dynafit UltraLock boots.

Steve, slot width is 5 mm. Sorry I omitted that. Thanks for taking on this project. I’d like to buy a pair from you..
    Got it. I ordered 72" of stock, which should be enough to meet demand ; )

Standard procedure for Dynafit UltraLock boots.
    )
    That's where the cord came from. My old PX One boots.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Craven, I’ve been looking at mods from the day I bought the boots. Including a longer throw buckle. But in my field tests to simulate a longer throw buckle I still saw a noticeable range of motion advantage to the fully disconnected boot. Especially on sidehills .
    Yeah, makes sense. Good work!

Sign me up for a pair of those ... what are you calling them?

Long time F1 user here, 1st time TGR poster ... joined to say, I'd buy a pair.

What am I calling them? “The Strapper — Strap On, Strap Off”

I fabbed two pairs this morning. Pic below. I should send them somewhere to test on boots before I make more. I can mail them to frorider or maybe riff can stop by my place in Eburg. Other ideas?

I did not get a spec re protrusion of rivet, so I guessed long. Easy for the user to file if too long. Also, the strap slot is 1/4" (6.4mm) cuz that's the closest size end mill I had handy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F1fab1.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	326333
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 04-24-2020 at 03:57 PM.

I’m in for a pair of Strappers if any left.

I'll also takea pair when the final shape is confirmed. Great project!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Update: I mailed a pair to frorider this morning for testing.

Strapper pleez.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Here's the plan:

If you want a pair, PM me and I'll give you my email address. That'll allow me to contact all of you with a group email. To date, I have emails from a couple of you. Be sure to mention your TGR handle in the email (Justin : ).

I await work from frorider re real world testing of my first pair, then I'll advise.

I'll likely take up jhyatt's offer to distribute.

Covid 19 impacted the field testing by our team of sponsored rippers, but got some time on them and Yup the nice looking version works great.

I think you guys will be pretty stoked.

I keep meaning to contact Scarpa to find out why they didn’t offer this obvious but highly effective solution.

Name:	82F90ABA-83A8-4734-BC16-239E04142398.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	560.4 KB 
ID:	328328

Thanks again GS for the production run.

Update: I got two new inquires for strappers. Pretty sure I have enough angle stock to make strappers for all who have inquired to date.

I was away from the crib for a few days -- ski touring, but don't tell anyone -- and have been catching up on some projects. I hope to get back to this project on Friday or early next week. It should take me a day or so to fab max strappers from my angle stock.

jhyatt has offered to distribute the pieces. I will send him numerous strappers and let him handle shipping. I'll advise re payment when I get the order out to jhyatt.

The strappers will likely come with rivets a bit longer than necessary, which will allow the user to file down to rivets just enough to "snap" into the buckle.

Will advise when I restart the project.

Update: I got two new inquires for strappers. Pretty sure I have enough angle stock to make strappers for all who have inquired to date.

I was away from the crib for a few days -- ski touring, but don't tell anyone -- and have been catching up on some projects. I hope to get back to this project on Friday or early next week. It should take me a day or so to fab max strappers from my angle stock.

jhyatt has offered to distribute the pieces. I will send him numerous strappers and let him handle shipping. I'll advise re payment when I get the order out to jhyatt.

The strappers will likely come with rivets a bit longer than necessary, which will allow the user to file down to rivets just enough to "snap" into the buckle.

Will advise when I restart the project.
    Standing by to strap one on.

I <heart> hot tele-moms

Got it. I'll answer my PMs later today or tomorrow. Or Saturday : ) jhyatt, thanks for offering to distribute

I have fabbed 8 pairs, 1 of which I sent to frorider. Pic of remaining 7 below. Looks that I have 9 (10 with frorider) requests. Hmmmm. I think I have enough stock to make a couple more pairs.

List of those who have requested a pair, in order of receipt of request:
    jhyatt
    andy m
    cravenmorehead
    wilcox510
    blggb
    turnfarmer
    climbervan
    Just Looking
    teledad

jhyatt has agreed to distribute. I will mail the 7 (or maybe 9, if I get around to making 2 more pairs) to him tomorrow. I will PM each of you with paypal info. My estimated cost of materials is $10/pair. Per my standard routine, feel free to throw in extra, which goes in the tip jar to pay for shop supplies (abrasives, etc.) I will leave it to jhyatt to work out payment for shipping from him to end users.

ETA: You may need to file a bit off the end of the rivet to make them fit in the buckle slot.

Name:	strappers7.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	329146
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 05-21-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Kewl gadget.
    watch out for snakes

Nice work Flo and GS. Would be interested as well if a second round ever happens

So I checked out the boots and wondering how the BOA thing works on a ski boot shell?

I have had bad experiences with BOA systems, disengaged multiple times.

Swore off of it years ago. I know BOA is used for SB boots and other stuff but I just can not trust it.

The boots look nice other wise.
    watch out for snakes