Looking for jacket like this one.

I have this mountain hardware, windstopper coat which I tour in and love. I bought it in 2010

It is a thin shell and believe you would call it a vapour barrier. I swear like a pig and this is the only thing that works for me on the uphill

Anyone have any idea if they or anyone else makes a jacket like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9627.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	323200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9623.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	901.2 KB 
ID:	323201

That's a MH Transition Hoody, which I use as a next-to-skin semi-VB. Best damn next-to-skin semi-VB for skinning mid-winter. Also great under insulating layers and rainy 40F days too. I have 2 of them, both ragged. Most of the seam tape fell off -- no biggie because there's no need for seam tape when used as N2S semi-VB.

I share your pain. I've been looking for an equivalent replacement for several years with no success. Yeah, it's lightweight Windstopper, the lightest WS I've ever seen.

Gore running/biking wear has a ton of windstopper tops in different styles. You guys should check them out to see if anything might work for you. I bought a couple pieces from stp recently and have been fairly impressed with them although the msrp seems a little inflated.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Gore running/biking wear has a ton of windstopper tops in different styles. You guys should check them out. . . .
    Done that as part of my search for semi-VB replacement. The thinnest/lightest Gore bike jackets are not as stretchy and more functionally similar to MH Effusion hoody (also discontinued) as a N2S semi-VB, okay for warmer tours. OP's jacket has a brushed tricot lining and very stretchy, works much better as a N2S semi-VB for mid-winter tours. One would think the mill that made the fabric for the Transition hoody would sell the stuff to other manufacturers, but I have yet to see the fabric on anything else.

What about westcomb skeena or some of the new OR soft shell?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    What about westcomb skeena or some of the new OR soft shell?
    Skeena is wool, no? AFAIK, OR has never made an ultralight membrane softshell. Membrane is key for use as a semi-VB

Skeena is wool and Schoeller. OR has new ascent shell that is supposed to be good. But only true VB I know of is RBH I have their VB mittens and they rock

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Skeena is wool and Schoeller. OR has new ascent shell that is supposed to be good. But only true VB I know of is RBH
    I've used RBH and Stephenson full VB shirts. (Stephenson has made a full VB shirt for 40 years.) I've experimented with other VBs. Semi-VB, a very different thing, provides a barrier but quickly cooks dry. I've written on other posts. There are several adopters on this forum and other outdoor forums. OR Ascendant is an insulated piece, no membrane, highly breatheable, kinda the opposite of what OP is looking to replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I've used RBH and Stephenson full VB shirts. (Stephenson has made a full VB shirt for 40 years.) I've experimented with other VBs. Semi-VB, a very different thing, provides a barrier but quickly cooks dry. I've written on other posts. There are several adopters on this forum and other outdoor forums. OR Ascendant is an insulated piece, no membrane, highly breatheable, kinda the opposite of what OP is looking to replaced.
    Pretty amazed you knew what this was. Yes, i have tryed every type of layering system out there with no luck.
    My jacket is in good shape, when i was it i hang dry. Just wanted to find something that is comparable.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Pretty amazed you knew what this was. Yes, i have tryed every type of layering system out there with no luck.
    My jacket is in good shape, when i was it i hang dry. Just wanted to find something that is comparable.
    Yeah, I've tried dozens of de facto next-to-skin semi-VB pieces and systems, and the MH Transition hoody is by far the best for aerobic activity in colder weather.

If you find anything like it, lemme know. I will reciprocate.

Just FYI, Salomon is making this jacket. Saw it in a store and it is almost exactly the same material. So stoked.

https://www.backcountry.com/salomon-...BC-ShipConfirm

Please let us know if it's equivalent after you use it! Too bad it doesn't have a hood.

(I adopted Steve's semi-VB approach and love it, but my MH Transition hoody is also wearing out.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

It’s really close. And I found an Arteryx piece that has a hood and is wind stopper fabric.

Looking for jacket like this one.

I was in a similar position about 5 years ago; after trial and error ended up with the Arc Gamma SL, they stopped making it and now have brought it back but have not fondled in person to see if they changed it.

But it’s the perfect jacket; nice wind shell, vents STUPID well, with DWR will shed rain well!

I bike in it, tour in it, run in it!!

Oh it stuffs so well - I’ll be sad when it dies.

I would check out Gore's Infinium stuff too. Very wind resistant.

i gotta recommend the gamma lt. weather resistant but breathable. has a long and loose enough cut to do anything in while still being trim for my liking. + for the dropback hem, too.
    swing your fucking sword.

Can anyone find another jacket similar to this one? Looking again. Thanks

Hmm. I have a first gen MHW Transition, ~20 years old (At least I think I do, haven’t been able to locate it in a while) and I find the new bike stuff from Gore and Castelli to be at least as stretchy.