Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shift or Tecton

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Shift or Tecton

In the spirit of attempting to offset pandemic anxiety with healthy first-world gear debate and click-bait post titles...

Me:
    • 150lbs (trending upward, thanks Covid)
    • primarily ski PNW with a trip here and there
    • have consolidated down to a single boot for resort and tour: Atomic Ultra XTD 120. Great boot!
    • Have an old school touring setup for more variable days
    • Looking to add to quiver a mid fat softer snow oriented setup (108-116ish) which would hopefully see both bc/inbounds use
    • Inbounds use would be on deeper days only, as I have 108 width resort setup for less deep days. So less demanding conditions for a binding
    • Increased safety (theoretical and real) is more important to me than weight savings for binding choice
    • Not considering a hyperlight setup.

Based on the above... I think my short list is Shifts and Tectons. Not too heavy, include alpine binder safety features, and ski well in resorts. Both have their issues.

As I will only be in the Atomic boot for both resort and inbounds days, the Shift benefit of multi-sole compatibility is irrelevant.

Soooo.... what binding would you choose? Does one have more issues than the other? One perceived as better for my intended use?

The decision may result in a Gear Swap post about wanting to trade one NIB binding for another thanks.

Its been discussed but i get it we are bored. If touring is more your priority go Tecton, if inbounds is more your priority go Shift. Shifts kinda suck to tour with but work IMO.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Its been discussed but i get it we are bored. If touring is more your priority go Tecton, if inbounds is more your priority go Shift. Shifts kinda suck to tour with but work IMO.
    I've spent more time then I care to admit on the tecton and shift threads... thanks for the opinion. I agree with your logic. I'm trying to assess if the logic still holds when you add in other factors like "not expected to be used for shallower days resort bashing" and "don't give a shit about alpine sole compatibility" . Reality is I most likely won't tour as much as I think I will on these skis, but I also know they wont come out for shallower resort days (more demanding on bindings) as I have other setups for that.

I’d agree with Eluder.
    I dont think your other factors really change anything.
    IMHO if you dont think you’ll tour all that much on this setups go shifts. Even in soft snow inbounds you’re running way more laps and probably skiing harder - as good as tectons might be, shifts are better for that.

I’ve really liked my shifts. Have 2 other Dynafit setups but spend most days in the BC on shifts. Mainly because they ski so much better than Dynafits. Not significantly slower than others on lighter setups. I’m able to transition fairly quick. One side benefit is that the heavier heel piece makes switchbacks easier (causes ski tip to instantly come up). Setup is a pain. If you’ve spent time in the shift thread I’m sure you’ve figured that out. If you have a shop mount them make sure to adjust afterwards, instructions in shift thread have worked prefect for me. No experience on tectons. But can recommend the shift

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I had a similar choice and mounted Tectons on Lhasas. Shifts are newer, Tectons are in their 38th iteration, so more bugs worked out. You said for soft inbounds, so Tectons would be fine. Weight is important too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

They're both good bindings and I think you'll be fine with either, but as has been said above, for what you're describing, I'd give an edge to Shifts. Reasons are that 1) it sounds like you'll realistically be spending more time inbounds, and they do ski better and 2) by using a single boot, you're negating the biggest downside of them which is that they're a PITA to adjust.

Less important, but they're also easier to step into and out of if you're not transitioning them and just skiing them inbounds - so in that respect they'll be less annoying if you're just riding lifts, especially if there's a gondola involved where you're taking them on and off all the time.

I just spent a whole day touring on my tectons today. They performed great. 3 summits. Steep 40°-49° descents.

The stepping in and out of shifts is way smoother in alpine mode. I would hate tectons inbounds.

Everytime I get out if the binder i have to open the pins and then manualy reset the heel unit. On din 11 this is work.

The process is ok for touring but not for resort/gondola etc.

Shifts ski a little nicer/smother but should not be skied hard.
    No 50mph carving, no cliffdrops/jumps.

And heel din+1~2 of normal setting

So my opinion: 1quiver ski shift also for traveling

Super beefed touring rig:
    Wide ski 100+ and stiff boots tectons

Looners cast

If skies go on your pack for hiking different story. The more tectons.

Sorry for confusing you more.
    I have both setups on the same 108mm ski.

Actually you cannot compare them. They are too different.

Sent from ullr with love!

I have 2 setups with Shifts and 3 with Tectons. I much, much prefer touring on the Tectons but I'm not crazy about skiing them inbounds, whereas I ski shifts inbounds all the time. So it really just comes down to actual use.

Have been skiing tectons for a couple years and had vipecs before that. The tectons are now on some GPOs and probably get as many resort days as touring and I really can't tell the difference from any of my alpine bindings. In some ways they have been better, I have never had a pre release on the tectons but has happened on occasion with some of my other bindings. I sometimes find myself wishing for a stiffer boot in bounds but like you said boot compatibility is irrelevant here. I have never had issues stepping in but I also leaned to tour on vipecs so I'm probably just used to whatever fiddle factor these toes have.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Assuming Kingpins aren't on the list because the Tecton's toe release feature eliminates the Kingpin as a possibility?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Assuming Kingpins aren't on the list because the Tecton's toe release feature eliminates the Kingpin as a possibility?
    It might have something to do with them being pieces of sh*t.

Shifts

IMHO there is too much plastic on tectons for a lot of inbounds laps. As said, if more inbounds then touring go shifts, if touring>>>inbounds go tectons.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    IMHO there is too much plastic on tectons for a lot of inbounds laps. As said, if more inbounds then touring go shifts, if touring>>>inbounds go tectons.
    Shift looks like a lot of plastic also. Just weighs more

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Plastic can be reliable as metal nowadays. It’s not 1987.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

That’s what your mom said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    That’s what your mom said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not trying to introduce FUD about the Shifts, but are you under the impression that the Shift doesn't make extensive use of composites?

Do you have any idea how heavy the Shift would be if it was all metal?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5937263

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-01-2020 at 09:48 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Tectons are awesome. I can’t tell the difference between skiing them and alpine clamps. Definitely prefer them to shifts personally, as long as you don’t want to use non-pin boots.

appreciate everyone's insights and recommendations! thanks! LeeLau, that is a great write-up thanks! Sorry if I missed it posted earlier.

@LeeLau - thanks for posting the article on Tecton vs Shift. One question - what qualifies as a "big skier"?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I miss the tectons after skiing on the shifts. Had issues with pre-release on the shifts. Appreciate the tectons way more on the uptrack

Teton if you want to tour more
    Shift if you want in resort most of the time and tour a little bit

Hi i am 73kg 177cm and ski 3rd year Volkl v Werks katana (112mm) with tecton. 90% lift asisted freeride. Light safe and great skiing tech binding. Today i buy heavy discounted v Werks Mantra. I heve folloving options Shift, Tecton, Kingpin and ATK R12. At the and i take another Tecton IMHO today it is best and safest option right after ATK, which i use on my lighter ‘touring’ setups.

p.s. For next season there will be even better freeride option Marker Duke PT

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Teton if you want to tour more
    Shift if you want in resort most of the time and tour a little bit
    Quote Originally Posted by caruzo406 View Post
    I miss the tectons after skiing on the shifts. Had issues with pre-release on the shifts. Appreciate the tectons way more on the uptrack
    My nephew have shift, and to be honest i like more tecton, and i use tecton 90% in resort