Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Goggles for Docs

I am sure that a good deal of you have seen this...A call is out for donations of Ski Goggles from hospitals due to the shortage of PPE. We all know that New York City is in critical needs for supplies, but hospitals all over the country are in need and the list continues to grow.

www.gogglesfordocs.com

They need Pit Vipers. Tm.
    . . .

wow thanks for sharing. gonna go dig around but I should have at least 3 pairs including a couple of clear ones.

Got at least 3-4 pair I’ll be sending in for this

I am no expert but Ski goggle foam seems like a breeding ground for bacteria...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Yah so is an uncovered face that just took all the droplets from someone’s covid cough.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Yah so is an uncovered face that just took all the droplets from someone’s covid cough.
    Those same droplets get absorbed into that goggle foam....

Once again, no expert, just seems idiotic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Goggles for Docs

When I saw the title, I thought this thread was an bad April Fools joke.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    Yeah. Of all the things that seem like fake help this wins the prize.

Lemme strap on that old skanky goggle from the bottom of your boot bag
    . . .

ahh yes I do always forget when it is april 1st

Was thinking about this the other day so I'm actually gonna take this seriously. Key issues:

- OTG compatibility (specifically for a nurse friend of mine,) I don't wear them, how hard is this actually? I've heard it's a pain but I dunno. Lotta people out there with glasses.

- Disinfecting the foam without damaging it. How sensitive is that stuff to solvents? Probably varies by brand.

- Would single-pane be preferrable to double-pane? Seems like it'd be hard to disinfect between the lens layers.

- upthread re: pit vipers, you might actually have a point. Basically indestructible, no? Throw 'em in a vat of simple green, rinse, towel off and you're good to go.

I'm thinking that the simplest most basic clear-lens goggles are probably the best for this; whatever has the fewest moving parts, seals, places for stuff to hide, etc. Which is nice because those are cheap and easy-ish to find. But maybe I'm wrong? Let's think this out.

I've got a few friends who are nurses, going out there with homemade masks and regular glasses for eye protection.* So this has been on my mind. I don't much to throw around but I'd gladly buy a few pairs for them and for the frontline workers in general. But if I'm gonna do that, I wanna get them the stuff that protects them the best.

*seriously it's absolutely fucking barbaric out there, not just in NYC, they don't have shit and the shit they did have they ran out of a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yeah. Of all the things that seem like fake help this wins the prize.

Lemme strap on that old skanky goggle from the bottom of your boot bag
    The people on the front lines are begging for literally any type of supplies. So let’s sit here and continue to shit on their wishes while we sit safely behind our keyboards and phones. Fuck man if a pair of old worn out goggles can give a doctor or nurse that’s been working straight 16’s a morale boost then I’m all for it.

My Verizon Fios doesn’t like that website linked in the OP. It’s flagged for malware. You sure that’s the correct site/link?

maggs -
    a couple of observations :
    - the website seems reasonable --
    through the website, you can ship directly to a requesting hospital... ;

- second point, two parts :
    Some thing is better than nothing : the mucous membrane lining your eye socket / eyelids are a great site for transmission of infection - a covid patient coughs in your face / in your eyes you are not only exposed, you are contaminated ;

second part and I know nothing of the specifics or the details of this but may medical facilities have gas sterilization for some medical equipment
    ( I have no-idea If goggles would be suitable - but I also would not rule it out
    ( turn in your goggles at the end of your shift, and hope there is another pair tomorrow - Or - clean them yourself until they fall apart or are grossly contaminated. )

again , some barrier is better than nothing --

100,000 to 200,000 dead - in the US --

I will look up 1918, but I am betting(,) not since the civil war...

be well -
    Please, be Safe. tj

1918 Influenza in the US :
    675,000 deaths ( before antibiotics ) - including an ancestors family member...

No Joke...All legit the need is real...

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    My Verizon Fios doesn’t like that website linked in the OP. It’s flagged for malware. You sure that’s the correct site/link?
    It is the right site

correction ( I'm sorry ) :

1918, worldwide :
    Fifty million deaths from Influenza --

dang.

Goggles for Docs

Thanks for making an effort!

If you can provide in colorado,

Here is the site to get on an official Colorado PPE list.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...zvT5w/viewform

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Any physical barrier between eyes, mouth or nose is going to help. No, goggles are not a perfect solution, buy don't let perfect get I. the way of good. Yes the foam could become a fomite (source of infection more likely of bacterial and such, a massive concern in hospital settings, think drug resistant bugs. Gas sterilization would be great, but I suspect those units are already running at max. I bit of dilute bleach works wonders. Which this may not be the solution for frontline workers, they could be use by low risk screeners (the people in. the tents in front of hospitals) freeing up the top end PPE for the frontline peeps.

My daughter and her colleagues at UC Denver med center was thrilled to get a box of two year old N95 maskswehad from the fire here. Not perfect, but good. People are thinking outside the box and doing the best they can with what they have at hand.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Dr. Gaper gap please report to the ER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski Goggles have always been the PPE for protecting ski patroller eyes. They are an emergency substitute to wrap around safety glasses and face shield, but they may be difficult to clean if contaminated.

Fortunately, this Corona virus appears to be easily destroyer by soapy water. Dawn (and other) dish soap is a pretty good soap to clean the lens, frame, and foam of goggles.

We all know nothing makes you look lamer than old and outdated goggles, and we all love the newest models.

Therefore, I think we should look over that list, see what we are willing to donate, wash our old goggles in some dish soap, and send them on.

Also, we should keep a pair, of two, for yourselves. Never know when you might need to care for your own family who are sick.

I have heard of one doc, a gynecologist, who was coughed on by their patient. They got fucking gonorrhea, in their eye.

Well yeah. If you get queefed in the eye, you gonna get it.

Queefs.
    Real dangerous
    . . .

My local shop is hooking people with a discount if they donate

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-fZVM5n..._web_copy_link

Keep donating!
    The need is real and the list will continue to grow I am sure...This is a easy way to help those on the frontline of COVID19 have some PPE when supplies are so critically low