Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trail riding pants

Looking to potentially buy some pants for cool spring trail rides in the ~40* range, I have warmer options for sub freezing and switch to shorts in the 50s. Something that can block a light breeze and mud splatter but still breath well enough for pedaling. I have generally used shorts over tights for this but it would be nice to have a single layer option. Does not have to be mtb specific if the fit is decent and cheaper is better. Suggestions?

Enduro knickers rock. They've saved me from some pretty serious dirt rashes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Enduro knickers rock. They've saved me from some pretty serious dirt rashes.
    Assuming you mean Endura; 2X.
    They have a lot of options for this. A Scottish company would know something about riding in cold weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I've been wearing some cut off stretch woven hiking pants over Lycra with knee warmers lately when it's below 48 deg or so and am really liking it. They aren't too obtrusive but add the right amount of warmth and I love that I can bash through bushes with impunity. I still can't see why mountain bikers all wear 2 pairs of shorts when it's warm out though.

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I have the light weight fox pants. I cant remember the model name. Quite breathable, nice cut, 3 pockets with zips and a dwr coating. Not sure how theyll hold up as ive only put 10-12 rides in them. Would buy again.
    Also check out NF. Nice looking stuff. Handmade in vancouver theyve been really dialing up some nice pieces
    https://instagram.com/ride_nf?igshid=16wtv1tgc7rye

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Club Ride has some options. I have a pair of their stretch jeans that work well if no moisture and not too cold. Colder weather-I have a pair that is a DWR'd stretch material. Sierra Trading Post is closed but I picked up both pair on closeout in the $30-40 range.

Fox Flexair are nice also. I wear them up into the 60s, often for poison oak protection. 2 pockets, elastic back, ratchet front (doesn't come undone like snaps). Knees are articulated and slightly looser so they fit over lower profile pads, and the calves are tapered with an elastic cuff so no snags on chainring.

I have the Raceface Agent shorts and I've been pretty happy with them. They make Agent pants as well - haven't used them, but I imagine they're just long versions of the shorts. Seems like they'd be pretty decent.

As a side note, if you're looking at something that's not MTB specific, make sure it tapers heavily around the ankle, otherwise you're going to end up with something that has loose fabric that's going to get sucked into your chain.

Second side note: Shorts + knee pads + long socks work great too, as long as it's above ~20 degrees.

Been looking at Endura MT 500 line for a while; everyone seems to love them, just curious on fit....
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Just what I needed to find, a biking gear thread. Ahhh.

I have a pair of those Endura 3/4 pants. They're great in cold wet conditions. Then I have a pair of these OR knickers for cool conditions- https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/w...94?cat=96,19,5.

The Oregon folks have this stuff dialed. Knee pads and knee warmers, at least 2 pairs of gloves. The one thing I could never get figured out was glasses- even with clear lenses they would fog up or get rainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Assuming you mean Endura; 2X.
    They have a lot of options for this. A Scottish company would know something about riding in cold weather.
    Yep, Endura, thanks. I ended up going through a pair of those and didn't hesitate to buy another pair.

The fit is somewhat baggy for me 30" waist at most bloated so I use a belt on their medium size. Lots of pockets for all sorts of things and the nice little tiny thigh pocket for my "oney" and a handy-dandy key holder too.

I found the Endura pants were all really small. And inconsistent size between styles. But I've got some large knickers that I wish were XL. I'm a medium sized guy.
    The Fox pants tend to have a retarded fit as well. I have to size up just so I can fit my junk in them. Again, I'm not an XL guy.

My main goal is finding a place where I can try on some different sizes and different styles. It'll never be a LBS since I'm not in the PNW. But I'll drop $1G on pants if I can return $850 of it after figuring out the one I like. Getting everything from one site would help with return shipping costs.

Like Toast said: Shorts, Knee Pads, Knee High Socks ........... unless it's raining. Or really cold.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Timely thread for me, thanks. I have club ride pants and they are nice but on the skinny side of the fit scale, and long. Im a 30x30 and thighs are tight, 2+” of inseam left over. Pondering the fox ranger or race face ruxton pants. Fox ranger shorts fit me well so inclined to go that route. Anyone used the RF ruxtons?

Another satisfied Endura knicker owner. Great for cool weather rides, two front facing hip zippers to expose venting when you get warm. Nice selection of pockets for phone and wallet.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Been looking at Endura MT 500 line for a while; everyone seems to love them, just curious on fit....
    Great pants but I found them too tight in the thighs, and I'm a 59 year old 150 lb guy. Size up if you go that direction.

I have and use Endura MT 500 pants, great pants for a number of reasons mainly extra durable, water resistant and really sheds mud. They do run a little small like most of the Endura Humvee MTB shorts. I do think they don't run quit as small as the Humvee shorts or knickers, so if you are a normal/ave size then the pants will fit. If you are on the big side of those sizes then buy one size larger. For me, I have several pair of Humvee shorts and I got XL even so I am a L in jeans and street pants. However, my MT 500's are a large they fit good, maybe a little snug in the quads but like the fit and performance. These are the only pants I wear when the temps are under 50.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I have the Raceface Agent shorts and I've been pretty happy with them. They make Agent pants as well - haven't used them, but I imagine they're just long versions of the shorts. Seems like they'd be pretty decent.

As a side note, if you're looking at something that's not MTB specific, make sure it tapers heavily around the ankle, otherwise you're going to end up with something that has loose fabric that's going to get sucked into your chain.

Second side note: Shorts + knee pads + long socks work great too, as long as it's above ~20 degrees.
    I wear over the calf merino ski socks, pads, and shorts on colder days and it works pretty well.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I like my Endura Humvee knickers, been wearing them for about 8 years, but can't love them. They are nearly perfect but they don't stay up and can make it tough to move around the saddle. The only other thing is the leg opening is just a bit small to fit over shin pads well. I'd buy them again though fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    The one thing I could never get figured out was glasses- even with clear lenses they would fog up or get rainy.
    I still swear by these safety glasses. They really are just cheap pos, but they don't fog. Eventually whatever is baked into them starts to wear, but they last a long time. You have to get the Vapor Shield, so the part number has a VS suffix. They have anti-fog also, but the Vapor Shield is next level comparatively. I have to buy the cheap sticky back nose grip things at the drug store to keep them from sliding down.

Rain...nothing works great imo.

https://edgeeyewear.com/site_us/glasses.php?show=dakura

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Shorts + knee pads + long socks work great too, as long as it's above ~20 degrees.
    This is my go-to as well for anything above freezing. Have a pair of Club Ride softshell pants for if it's colder or wet and they are also good.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This is my go-to as well for anything above freezing. Have a pair of Club Ride softshell pants for if it's colder or wet and they are also good.
    Same. But my softshell pants are old Cloudveils made from Schoeller DrySkin so I’m not willing to crash in them anymore. I’ve never found a fabric I like as well, and it seems like it’s priced out of the market.

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    . I have to size up just so I can fit my junk in them.
    Humble-brag alert!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

By the way Colorado Cyclist has some pretty decent Endura sales going on right now, just ordered a MT500 Jacket for almost half off, hopefully the large works for my fat ass. A few pants and knickers on there as well.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sear.../Endura?page=1
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered some Humvee Knickers.
    Hope they are big enough for my junk.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident