Boot cuff mods for skinny calves

Since I have the physique nearest resembling a fence pole, I often have a hard time getting ski boots to fit without resorting to all kinds of chicanery. Currently, I have a pair of technica zero g boots which fit nicely everywhere except the top buckle - I am on the last ladder on the last hole before they feel nice and snug. I’ve already upgraded to intuition pro-wrap tour liners.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for what to do to reduce volume at the top of the cuff of a boot?

Current thoughts:
    - boot fitting foam placed on the cuff of the boot in the tongue area (I’m thinking wrap liners might not play nice with bootfitting foam directly on the liners? Am I wrong?)
    - any other material to recommend sticking to the cuff/liners?
    - drilling a new hole to move the top buckle back. I kinda don’t want to drill if I don’t have to, and I feel like over cinching the cuff could have adverse effects on flex, etc). But any thoughts on drilling if other options don’t work?

Maybe with covid and staying home for a bit I’ll gain some weight and fill out in the calves...but unlikely.
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7674.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	322878

I have similar issues, will take a pic of my old liners when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by nobleman View Post
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for what to do to reduce volume at the top of the cuff of a boot?
    Drill a new hole. Bringing the actual cuff closer to your ankle is almost always a better solution than filling up space with extra foam, and less likely to alter the stance.

Name:  84C72903-97EC-403C-B4B6-B3DECD1CDA01.jpeg
Views: 3689
Size:  48.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For me, a fellow skinny calf sufferer, a booster strap as a fifth buckle (riveted as high as possible on the back of the shell, and wrapped around the boot liner only as high as possible in the front) and/or spoilers in the back of the cuff have helped a lot with this issue. YMMV of course

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Drill a new hole. Bringing the actual cuff closer to your ankle is almost always a better solution than filling up space with extra foam, and less likely to alter the stance.
    With Salomon and Atomic boots, I typically do a "heavy" heat mold along with moving the buckle to get the cuff to wrap better. (Heavy means ~10 minutes in the oven at 117 C.) I'd probably do it with the Zero G TP even though it is not nominally a "heat moldable" shell, too. Not sure how well the carbon-reinforced cuff will respond, but it won't hurt.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ly/A-p5770099e

if yer really chicken ankle the shell might not make the curves very well so maybe you need some shimming or a spoiler ?

I've been ductaping this PVC hose inside my ski boots, that shows ^^ a 50' roll but its available by the foot very cheap, its .6mm thick which is thin enough to be flexible on curves right inside the boot lower but its strong enough to not break down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Tognar have some tongue pads they sell that would go on the front. https://www.tognar.com/the-eliminato...-tongue-shims/

Looks like they are Masterfit, so maybe other sources for them also...

I thought about them when I had my pair of Tecnica Icon series boots. Then I moved over to Dalbello boots which are much better design for thinner lower leg.

I got a set of those ^^ and they didnt really fit all that well in the Xena's i tried them in,

I had better fit with gluing in pieces of cut up sheet Spenco

but of course YMMV

similar to above ideas - here’s what the bootfitter did to my old liners, actually worked very well. sewn in up top for added durability but there must have been an adhesive back or they glued the shit out of em cause I skied em like this for three seasons and they’re good as new

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	323016

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	323017

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	323018

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Tognar have some tongue pads they sell that would go on the front. https://www.tognar.com/the-eliminato...-tongue-shims/

Looks like they are Masterfit, so maybe other sources for them also...

I thought about them when I had my pair of Tecnica Icon series boots. Then I moved over to Dalbello boots which are much better design for thinner lower leg.
    Those are garbage. Very spongy foam. The intuition removable tongues can be used the same way, but they would be 10x better.

I had luck with cutting old liner tongues and superimposing them on the liners.

boosterstrap.com
    seems expensive but for ~$40 better than going an modding the hell out of your $500-$1000 boot. Just my $.02

I don’t even screw mine to my boot they just sit as high as I can have em & they don’t move around at all.
    I find them in between the plastic & foam part of your boot at the front, then tighten the strap, then your boot buckle. But i have them going around the plastic bit on the back part. But, placing them around only the liner worked too, just felt like it was a little too much pressure against my skinny calf.

Immediately better control of my boot & ngl took a while to feel normal since I’m so accustomed to way too much movement in the top of my boot & it not transferring to my ski doing anything. Bought them with my buddy who absolutely rips on some pair of beat up $40 full tilts at alpental. He said he has no idea how he’s skiied without any strap at all for the oast few seasons since he broke the stock full tilt ones. Tested em on our USA ski trip to big sky & jackson hole. The strap made it seem like I had race boots on. Seems legit. Also, everyone in the shops said get the world cup version with gold buckles, the other models flex too much if you have any racing experience or hit big jumps in the park

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks everyone!
    I added the little tongue shim that came with the boot to the liner and that has helped a bit, at least during a fit check. I’m still pretty much at the end of the adjustment so if it packs out etc I may need more. I need to actually get out and ski it to see how it performs though.
    When I get some more data points I’ll consider:
    - adding more boot foam
    - adding bigger rear spoilers (any websites that sell them? A google search didn’t bring up much)
    - adding a booster strap
    - drilling a new buckle hole (I already punched to the toe so it’s not like I haven’t already started making mods to the boot).

Booster strap would be the first thing I'd do before the rear spoiler, adding foam, or drilling. Those could be done also as next step once you try the boots with the straps. As mentioned go high as you can (above where the traditional velcro factory strap is on traditional boots.

Thanks everyone!
    I added the little tongue shim that came with the boot to the liner and that has helped a bit, at least during a fit check. I’m still pretty much at the end of the adjustment so if it packs out etc I may need more. I need to actually get out and ski it to see how it performs though.
    When I get some more data points I’ll consider:
    - adding more boot foam
    - adding bigger rear spoilers (any websites that sell them? A google search didn’t bring up much)
    - adding a booster strap
    - drilling a new buckle hole (I already punched to the toe so it’s not like I haven’t already started making mods to the boot).
    Add the material to the tongue, if you add it to the back of the boot it will push your foot forward and you'll get black toes when booting up and have to kick steps in.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Eliminator tongue (if it’s not a wrap liner) has done the trick for me for over 10 years. They pack out after 100ish days, but only $30 for a pair

Boot cuff mods for skinny calves

Thanks - are booster straps kinda thick, and therefore take up some volume in the top of the boot when placed under the plastic cuff?

Also, which one should I get - expert or WC? I’m 6’2, 160, and a competent skier, but not coming from a racing background nor a park/big drop background. The boots are plenty stiff for me, I’m mostly just looking to not be in the very last buckle notch.

I am using wrap liners, so eliminator tongues seem to be out.

they might take u a little space

the idea was to make a powerstrap that is stretchy and always engaged with yer leg, the stretchness is dependant on how many layers of neoprene the strap uses, the WC uses 3 layers but if its too tight you can cut one layer, read the FAQ'a on their site

I have this problem. If I crank the buckles the boot becomes very stiff...the upper cuff is essentially touching itself (I know I know....ya sick bastards).

I rip the groomed on tele gear

IME pwrwraps do help alot for chicken legs but you probably need to find a way to shim the liner or shell as opposed to just moving buckles

Thanks - are booster straps kinda thick, and therefore take up some volume in the top of the boot when placed under the plastic cuff?

Also, which one should I get - expert or WC? I’m 6’2, 160, and a competent skier, but not coming from a racing background nor a park/big drop background. The boots are plenty stiff for me, I’m mostly just looking to not be in the very last buckle notch.

I am using wrap liners, so eliminator tongues seem to be out.
    The one thing you have is the height gives you quite a bit of leverage as you lean, so while you state you do not race- the World Cup version of the booster straps have 3 bands for a bit more support from flexing. The standard booster straps have only 2 bands of the elastic bands.

Here are a few comments from the Booster Strap FAQ:
    Question- I’m right on the cusp of Expert and World Cup. Which Booster should I use.

Answer- Go with the stiffer one. As you use the Booster Strap typically you get more proficient and therefore would want the stiffer one. N.B. If you are aggressive definitely go stiffer.
    And flex:
    Question- I have 130 flex boots and weigh 160 lbs. Which model do I choose?

Answer- A good rule of thumb is to match the flex index of the boot with the model Booster Strap. Also remember there is a grey area between models. Less than 100 flex – Intermediate, 110 to 130 –Expert, and greater than 130 the World Cup.
    And finally the question of if you get the strap that you think is the wrong one:
    Question- What if I buy the wrong strength Booster?

Answer- The Booster is backwards compatible, that is you can convert the World Cup to the Expert and the Expert to the Intermediate by eliminating a strip of material. You cannot go the other way.

Thanks everyone for the input. I sincerely appreciate it. I ordered and installed booster straps (finding hardware to install it was a bear - ended up having to a decent amount of grinding to modify some t nuts and screws to work).

The booster straps definitely seem to help with closing the top of the cuff. A little bummed about the weight penalty, but I’m not that much of a gram counter. Now if I can get out and ski sometime after covid and before the snow melts I’ll know if it actually works!
    Cheers!