Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207

    Complete noob wants to get into mnt biking

    A complete noob wants to get into mountain biking. Haven’t ridden any bike in years. Has an 80s road bike of questionable size. What should one buy and what questions to ask in a shop? Why this cheapo thing is bad or good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RN2K24Z..._1CrGEbJQM04H9

    Asking for friend. 5’11” 160lb. Haven’t done any research yet- clean sheet of paper...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,432

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    on it...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    12,166
    You're gonna die!
    www.apriliaforum.com

    "If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

    "I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    968
    Yeti or Santa Cruz or else don’t even bother....

    But seriously I’d avoid that bike you have linked... cheap bikes and poor design have put off more then their fair share of new riders. I’d buy a used bike.

    The real questions are what type of biking do they want to do? What is the budget? Fitness level? Just go riding on a bike path with kids on the weekend? Local trails and riding clubs?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,824
    I was you 4 years ago. Had no clue. Asked for similar advice here. Bought the red one. Rented a bike rode it bought it Santa Cruz 5010. But like Sandbox said what is your purpose. That Schwinn could do it for you.
    off your knees Louie

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    You're gonna die!
    I totally forgot to add this as ‘in before’...
    yes I know... easy trails... very almost flat trails... I just want to get out and the hills are right there

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I was you 4 years ago. Had no clue. Asked for similar advice here. Bought the red one. Rented a bike rode it bought it Santa Cruz 5010. But like Sandbox said what is your purpose. That Schwinn could do it for you.
    Just want to get out. Ride half an hour on asphalt. Build my strength up. Go on some easy trails to start learning the basics of mnt biking. Eventually, would love to be good enough to go to local ski hill and ride the chair up, bike down... just want learn new sport.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Yeti or Santa Cruz or else don’t even bother....

    But seriously I’d avoid that bike you have linked... cheap bikes and poor design have put off more then their fair share of new riders. I’d buy a used bike.

    The real questions are what type of biking do they want to do? What is the budget? Fitness level? Just go riding on a bike path with kids on the weekend? Local trails and riding clubs?
    Yeti’s writing (about Taos and in general) is a major reason I stuck around. Much respect.

    Just want to get into a new sport. Fitness level - ok. Ski in bounds anything I want - not everything gracefully tho. 46 yo. Need to work on cardio, hence, mnt bike!

    Yes, just riding on the path would be a start. If I catch a bug - yer never know riding in those shorts - I want to get enough fitness and skills to ride chair up, bike down on the local hill.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    365
    Hardtail 29er. Stay away from that Schwinn!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,785

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

    fuck that noise.

    gmen.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Yeti’s writing (about Taos and in general) is a major reason I stuck around. Much respect.

    Just want to get into a new sport. Fitness level - ok. Ski in bounds anything I want - not everything gracefully tho. 46 yo. Need to work on cardio, hence, mnt bike!

    Yes, just riding on the path would be a start. If I catch a bug - yer never know riding in those shorts - I want to get enough fitness and skills to ride chair up, bike down on the local hill.
    ultimately I think budget is your first thing before we ( or anyone) can give you solid advice. That Nukeproof that’s suggested seems like a sweet deal but may be too much.

    if you have a good local bike shop stop in ( if they allow that in these crazy/shitty times) and chat with them. If you are mechanically inclined I still like the used bike option. Get a lot of value that way after someone else took the big depreciation hit.

    but based on what you said I’d think hardtail would be a good place to start

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    ultimately I think budget is your first thing before we ( or anyone) can give you solid advice. That Nukeproof that’s suggested seems like a sweet deal but may be too much.

    if you have a good local bike shop stop in ( if they allow that in these crazy/shitty times) and chat with them. If you are mechanically inclined I still like the used bike option. Get a lot of value that way after someone else took the big depreciation hit.

    but based on what you said I’d think hardtail would be a good place to start
    I’d like to get my feet wet in a new sport... don’t have any gear... would be nice to do it all for a grand or so... remember, you talking to a desk jokey/couch potato here

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    Googled a bit... may be I need gravel bike?... and I thought ski gear was complicated

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    968
    Hardtail is front suspension only, no rear. Soft tail has rear suspension as well.

    at your price point I’d avoid soft tail and I’d also avoid the Walmart/target big box store specials. Take a look on Pinkbike or Craig’s list in your area and see what’s for sale used. Swing by the bike shop and see what they say/ have in stock. Might be able to score a covid 19 deal....

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    27,246
    Well, technically, a ‘softail’ has about 50-60mm of suspension, like a Moots YBB or its ilk. But I digress.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,382
    Don't buy a new full suspension bike that costs less than $1800. Don't buy a new hardtail that costs less than $1000. If you're going to buy a used bike (which is definitely a good option), have someone that knows about mountain bikes look at it first.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,785
    Another kickass option that's even cheaper than the Nukeproof. These UK hardtails are so much bike for the money.

    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod188255

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    11,785
    You should absolutely get some flavor of 29er hardtail with mid-level components and good tires. Those UK hardtails check every box.

    Used bikes can be a great value, but if you don't know what you're looking for you can buy a lemon. There's also lots of good deals, but not necessarily in your size and in your area.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    207
    I am going to die. Broke. I am going to die broke.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    I am going to die. Broke. I am going to die broke.
    if you think skiing is expensive, get ready....

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Can/USA
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, technically, a ‘softail’ has about 50-60mm of suspension, like a Moots YBB or its ilk. But I digress.
    Why are you the way that you are? #theoffice #toby

    i never knew that! I’m gonna do some research with all my damn free time I have these days....

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    27,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Why are you the way that you are? #theoffice #toby

    i never knew that! I’m gonna do some research with all my damn free time I have these days....
    Forum Cross Pollinator

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    9,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    if you think skiing is expensive, get ready....
    Get ready... to save a bunch of money by not paying for lift tickets!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •