Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Get ready... to save a bunch of money by not paying for lift tickets!
    That’s a good way to look at it! Couple of season passes = I’m a riding jong.... or whatever is the equivalent cycling elite calls nubs

Think that logic will work on the wife? Maybe get myself a new bike....

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    That’s a good way to look at it! Couple of season passes = I’m a riding jong.... or whatever is the equivalent cycling elite calls nubs
    Just call yourself a MAMIL.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I am going to die. Broke. I am going to die broke.
    That's pretty much my life's goal, but you gotta time it juuust right.

Where are you located n what sort of terrain are you looking to ride on? If you're talking gravel bikes and ski hills there's a lot of space in there for interpretation.

The 29er hardtail, and the used reccos are good advice, as is the one to not buy that POS Schwinn off Amazon. It will leave you hangin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Another kickass option that's even cheaper than the Nukeproof. These UK hardtails are so much bike for the money.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod188255
    Damn! Those are awesome looking.

FYI For the OP the only thing to add right off would be a dropper which would add about 200 bucks in cost. It's hard to spend a bit more but it's worth it.

where are you gona ride is a big one, also are you gona ride alone or with a bud in which case you might wana look at what they have
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Must buy red one. They are faster. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Damn! Those are awesome looking.

FYI For the OP the only thing to add right off would be a dropper which would add about 200 bucks in cost. It's hard to spend a bit more but it's worth it.
    I'm currently building up a Mmmbop frame and very impressed with the quality for the price. Looks like someone snagged the last Large Big Al last night.

As for a dropper, just grab a BrandX post while you're on CRC. They're currently going for $110-$135.

Googled a bit... may be I need gravel bike?... and I thought ski gear was complicated
    This is probably an unpopular opinion, but it sounds like what you are describing would benefit more from a hybrid style bike. If the majority of your riding is going to be on asphalt, don't get a mountain bike. Gravel bikes come with drop handle bars, which are generally less beginner friendly. A hybrid will have flat bars like a mountain bike for a more comfortable riding position, but faster tires for the pavement. These bikes also usually have tires that are closer to the gravel bike tire width than a typical road bike width for some added traction and comfort. Something like a Specialized Sirrus or a Trek FX.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Something like a Specialized Sirrus or a Trek FX.
    OP said he wanted to do some trail riding. My commuter is equivalent to these suggestions and I'd never want to ride trails on it. Plus, to buy one of these new with hydro discs and a non-shite drivetrain the price starts getting quite close the Ragley and Nukeproof bikes I linked to. I'd still say HT 29er is his best option, but skip the dropper upgrade for now and get a set of cheap hybrid commuter tires somewhere in the 700x40 to 700x50 range.

I hit some light trails on 32c tires. 40 or 50 would probably be better but was just making the point that if OP was thinking gravel bike, a hybrid is a much less trendy, more approachable version with similar geometry.

I'd definitely agree that a hybrid bike is a better choice than a drop-bar gravel bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'd definitely agree that a hybrid bike is a better choice than a drop-bar gravel bike.
    Santa Cruz V10 over hybrid... great commuter...

but seriously... buy a bike for the terrain and type of riding you want to do and not what you hope or plan to do.

Check to see what smmokan might be selling out of his rental fleet.

Was going to chime in on demo bikes as well.

Scored a $2000 demo bike from local bike shop. I thought it was a great option as it was somewhat affordable and the bike was well kept and dialed from being around the shop.

Really good option and got me VERY stoked on riding bicycles.

Complete noob wants to get into mnt biking

A hard tail 29r’s a great choice. You can probably ride it, in widest varieties of conditions.

Visit your LBS. Ride some bikes and buy a helmet. You don’t really “need “ to have anything else.

As you ride more, cycling specific clothing will make your rides more comfortable.

Biking’s probably the cheapest/hour activity I do.

Funny how threads like this pop up right when you need them.

Trying to help a female acquaintance get set up with her first mtn bike. Late 20s, athletic, but never much time in the saddle.. especially not on trails. Located in northern NJ. Lots short up and downs, generally pretty chunky riding, lots of fire roads that are not gravel bike roads.

Honestly this is an area I haven't done a wink of researching in the past 10 years as I've had no reason to.

Couple first observations:

- price wise, there seem to be a lot of decent options between the 1-2K mark from brands like Giant, Norco, Trek, SC, Kona, etc.
    - it seems like some companies do not make women's specific bikes. At this point is there really any difference besides the paint or very minor changes to geometry?
    - I want to make recommendations based on general specs - dropper is must or budget for one, stick to hardtail, drivetrain

I understand knowing a price range is crucial to recommending a bike, but I'm not really in a position where I need to know what she's looking to spend. I'd like to suggest looking based on a couple crucial aspects that will make the experience more enjoyable and let her decide what she wants to spend. I'd generally agree spending <$1000 is going to get you a pile of junk. Looking at demos is a good point to, will add to my list.

And if you save money with one bike... think of how much more you'll save with two bikes!

Don't buy a new full suspension bike that costs less than $1800. Don't buy a new hardtail that costs less than $1000. If you're going to buy a used bike (which is definitely a good option), have someone that knows about mountain bikes look at it first.
    What he said (although I'd say you can drop the hardtail down to about $7-800.
    Avoid things like that Schwinn. Chinese companies will buy out the rights to old semi-credible companies that have gone out of business. Companies like Schwinn and Mongoose are now nothing more than Walmart brands.
    Dont buy your bike at the same place you buy your eggs.

Kona and Giant are good places to start for decent entry level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I am also a complete noob looking to get into mtn biking. Used to ride a lot of bmx growing up but that was 15 years ago and no real mtn bike experience. Pretty much just trail riding and fs roads and evening rides with the kids. Cousins husband said he would sell his Salsa Spearfish carbon for $900. Looks like a good deal and fit for me but I don't know dick about bikes.

And yes I know there aren't any breaks on it right now, he's throwing them on tonight.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Good deal if it fits and is in decent condition. The frame alone runs $2800 (new).

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    I am also a complete noob looking to get into mtn biking. Used to ride a lot of bmx growing up but that was 15 years ago and no real mtn bike experience. Pretty much just trail riding and fs roads and evening rides with the kids. Cousins husband said he would sell his Salsa Spearfish carbon for $900. Looks like a good deal and fit for me but I don't know dick about bikes.

And yes I know there aren't any breaks on it right now, he's throwing them on tonight.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    I'd say that's a solid deal as long as the carbon isn't screwed... Hard to see what spec or year it is from that pic tho.

Maybe check out the Kona Honzo? Older Trek Stache?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Just call yourself a MAMIL.
    ROFL... new sport - new shit to learn. memes to..