Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Archaeology - I found an arrowhead

Last weekend I was digging in the small garden I have and picked up what I at first thought was a piece of glass. Turned out it was this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200322_121052.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	874.6 KB 
ID:	322823

Not 100% surprised as when I was in elementary school a friend who lived a block away found a much larger one eroding out of the ground under a tree in her yard. It was also quartz. She told me and the next day we went looking and found a comparably sized flint one. They were probably about 3 inches in size.
    I have always thought that they were large enough to have been spear heads not arrow.
    For awhile they were put on display at the town museum.
    I talked to her earlier this week and she told me that her nephew's son has them now.

Very cool. where do you live? We have a Washoe grinding rock in our backyard so I know there was a campsite but despite extensive digging we've done we've never found an arrowhead. Probably I'm just not observant.

I found this a couple of years ago in our yard. It's a clovis point obsidian, likely 4-10,000 years old. I would love to know more about it.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

while it's a nice point, it's probably not a Clovis, as it lacks the central flute flake.

https://www.sapiens.org/wp-content/u...il_A1797.1.jpg

Hunh, I thought it was. What is it then? (Teton Valley, Idaho)
    How can i get it pinpointed online?

I've never done any archaeo there, so I'm not familiar with your local point types. There are some resources, though, like

https://www.projectilepoints.net/

and

http://www.projectilepoints.net/Sear...ho_Search.html

So, this is likely it. And it is part of a ‘Clovis cluster’, so I wasn’t totally off. I would love to have an expert look at it.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Poi...s%20Colby.html

Actually, it could very well be this. So much to learn!

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Owl_Cave.html

If its found on a state highway project....figure it adding a year or 2 to the completion date.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Very cool. where do you live? We have a Washoe grinding rock in our backyard so I know there was a campsite but despite extensive digging we've done we've never found an arrowhead. Probably I'm just not observant.
    Southwestern coastal Connecticut.
    At the time of European influx into the area there were extensive native American settlements. Most traces have been obliterated a long time ago but there are still some.

Up here there are almost no settled land claims so the first nations like to sprinkle them things around to fuck up big projects like mines & piplines
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That’s actually pretty awesome.

My daughter is studying archaeology at UNB Fredericton. Well, right now her classes are remote. She did her field school last summer in Biddeford, Maine on the the UNE campus. There's a dig site on campus. Samuel De Champlain made contact on their beach at the mouth of the Saco river. The cool part for her is that she helped with this: https://www.archaeology.org/news/770...e-dugout-canoe. This article doesn't mention that the two professors and the field school kids were a big part of extracting and moving the canoe. There are other articles. My daughter was interviewed on CBC.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I found this a couple of years ago in our yard. It's a clovis point obsidian, likely 4-10,000 years old. I would love to know more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    while it's a nice point, it's probably not a Clovis, as it lacks the central flute flake.

https://www.sapiens.org/wp-content/u...il_A1797.1.jpg
    Could it be a cutting tool or a precursor to the classic Clovis.
    Regardless awesome find
    Carbon dating it would be very interesting
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Up here there are almost no settled land claims so the first nations like to sprinkle them things around to fuck up big projects like mines & piplines
    More power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Could it be a cutting tool or a precursor to the classic Clovis.
    Regardless awesome find
    Carbon dating it would be very interesting
    Carbon dating doesn't work on rocks. It's used for things that used to be alive.

Since their ancestors spent about 20,000 years scattering artifacts everywhere, there is hardly any reason to do what you're saying . . . which is a stupid, dangerous and racist accusation with no merit, easily disproven, but bandied about by the credulous or malicious . . . or merely ignorant.

obsidian hydration, on the other hand . . .

I was in King Salmon/Naknek for a day last fall. Saw some ANCSA 14c surveys I did 25 years ago. The BLM contract specified standard alcap monuments flush with ground on #5 rebar, driven to bedrock or 24', whichever came first, which seemed a bit excessive at the time, even though there is a lot of muskeg through there [220 corners to do].
    Over 25 winters, the rebar has frost jacked that rebar anywhere from 4' to 12'. The alcaps with the information, the lot corners, are so high in the air that the next surveyor will have to cut them down to read them.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I was in King Salmon/Naknek for a day last fall. Saw some ANCSA 14c surveys I did 25 years ago. The BLM contract specified standard alcap monuments flush with ground on #5 rebar, driven to bedrock or 24', whichever came first, which seemed a bit excessive at the time, even though there is a lot of muskeg through there [220 corners to do].
    Over 25 winters, the rebar has frost jacked that rebar anywhere from 4' to 12'. The alcaps with the information, the lot corners, are so high in the air that the next surveyor will have to cut them down to read them.
    I wandered around Nushagak one summer and never found anything . . .

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    Since their ancestors spent about 20,000 years scattering artifacts everywhere, there is hardly any reason to do what you're saying . . . which is a stupid, dangerous and racist accusation with no merit, easily disproven, but bandied about by the credulous or malicious . . . or merely ignorant.
    The FN have a pretty good sense of humor so its been a running joke for years, any body who has been fucked around like they have been has to have a sense of humor . In any case i know people who know if a real archeological assessment was done or not where arftifacts were found
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Found this years ago in Denville nj in my yard. "Crinoid stems" could be anywhere from 550,000,000 to 35,000,000 years old. I saw it and it looked out of place so I kept. Been with me ever since about 2003. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200330_112202.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	322929Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200330_112152.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	322930

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

The FN have a pretty good sense of humor so its been a running joke for years, any body who has been fucked around like they have been has to have a sense of humor . In any case i know people who know if a real archeological assessment was done or not where arftifacts were found
    Yes, and Coyote stories, like irony, are meant to confuse some and illuminate others.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Holy shit

Spanghew comes outta nowhere to school us armchair archeologists

Nice
    . . .