Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Holy shit

Spanghew comes outta nowhere to school us armchair archeologists

Nice
    No doubt! "Underground" indeed.

My job has very occasionally had some intersection with archeology, loved reading those reports, think it's such a cool science.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Archaeology - I found an arrowhead

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    No doubt! "Underground" indeed.

My job has very occasionally had some intersection with archeology, loved reading those reports, think it's such a cool science.
    Haha! Archaeology, a science?!

Kidding.....

Per Websters, either spelling is OK.

But only one of the spellings is archaic.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Now I want to try making my own. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    But only one of the spellings is archaic.

mid-70s I was grade school, my grandmother died, remember in the course of going through "stuff" there a couple of paper bags with 10-15 arrowheads in each, maybe 50-75 total. The family was very rual; farm in lowcountry SC, my mom said her father would find them all the time plowing fields. No big deal.

I have no idea what happened to them.
    "Can't you see..."

Why are all these arrowheads around? Given that they took some effort to make I would have thought that they would have been saved and taken with people when they moved. I suppose if a village was massacred and destroyed they would have been left on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    Yes, and Coyote stories, like irony, are meant to confuse some and illuminate others.
    That was nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why are all these arrowheads around? Given that they took some effort to make I would have thought that they would have been saved and taken with people when they moved. I suppose if a village was massacred and destroyed they would have been left on the ground.
    Here in East Tennessee, we have artifacts almost everywhere. As a youngster, we had a guy that plowed about an acre to plant tobacco. I found 15 near perfect points in one afternoon.

Back in the 1980's, I met a guy who was basically a grave-robber back when no one cared. Lived over on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Had exhumed about 200 graves. Tons of artifacts of course.

The guy's explanation was this. The native Americans were here for about 20,000 years. Assume they dropped, discarded, or lost one artifact per acre each year. Pretty dense concentration.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    mid-70s I was grade school, my grandmother died, remember in the course of going through "stuff" there a couple of paper bags with 10-15 arrowheads in each, maybe 50-75 total. The family was very rual; farm in lowcountry SC, my mom said her father would find them all the time plowing fields. No big deal.

I have no idea what happened to them.
    Our family farm is located on what was once a heavily traveled route between the coast and through the coastal range for Suislaw, Yaquina and other area tribes. Always turning up pottery shards when plowing and my uncle would tell me they would often find undamaged pots. Hate to think of how many nice artifacts we crushed under heavy machinery. Lots of arrowheads and cool old glass bottles of firewater. But grandpa's rule was you couldn't keep anything. If you find something you could examine it, draw a picture of it and make notes, then repatriate back to the earth. He'd push the arrowheads back deep into the dirt. As a kid I kept a few that I found and put them somewhere safe. 40 years later I have no idea where that somewhere safe is.

My Mother’s family had a farm in Ontario from the mid 1800’s. They had so many arrow heads, spear points that they kept them in buckets. I have an awesome axe head from that farm. I remember uncles talking about keeping the prevalence of artifacts quiet. They feared that they could loose land to whatever tribe lived there if it was proved to be ancestral land. I don’t know if that was a valid concern or not

As a kid, we used to find arrowheads quite often around our area. I don't know that many kids are out looking, or finding, anymore but that was always a fun way to waste away an afternoon in the summer when I was 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Last weekend I was digging in the small garden I have and picked up what I at first thought was a piece of glass. Turned out it was this.

Attachment 322823

Not 100% surprised as when I was in elementary school a friend who lived a block away found a much larger one eroding out of the ground under a tree in her yard. It was also quartz. She told me and the next day we went looking and found a comparably sized flint one. They were probably about 3 inches in size.
    I have always thought that they were large enough to have been spear heads not arrow.
    For awhile they were put on display at the town museum.
    I talked to her earlier this week and she told me that her nephew's son has them now.
    Dude, that's a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Dude, that's a quarter.
    Coffee clearing out the CV19 through the nose and onto the keyboard....thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you ever hunted with bow and arrow. You would not ask the question.
    Shit gets lost. Often.
    . . .

That’s not a rock, it’s a chert flake!

There is a lot of obsidian flakes scattered in the general area where I live. The closest source of obsidian is several hundred miles away and was home of other tribes. It is an indicator of commerce between different cultures.

people live/lived where it was good to live or hunt or fish or farm

at the local ski hut the guide found a random tree seriously in the middle of nowhere with a face carving, the FN had been there & made the carving on that tree hundreds of years ago

hundreds of years later buddy finds it because that path was the most logical route to travel both now and 100 yr ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Dude, that's a quarter.
    Post of the week! Still laughing
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Found this little guy in a dry stream bed this weekend. Just purchased a small cabin in the middle of nowhere Idaho and thought I spotted a piece of glass. So stoked as I've always wanted to find one. Found the larger black one last week about 5 miles away at 9500 feet, but not 100% convinced of it's authenticity.

The first one is pretty tiny, but I think it fits into this description: https://www.projectilepoints.net/Poi...g_Stemmed.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-7855.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	251.3 KB 
ID:	338070

Name:	IMG-0385.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	338071

Name:	IMG-0341.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	338072
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

My uncle volunteered at a university archaeology dept before the antiquities act. mainly reconstructing Anasazi pots from shard piles. He had about 20 pots in his collection. They were sold in his estate, I wound up with these however. some very nice workmanship
    Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0182.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  79.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    My uncle volunteered at a university archaeology dept before the antiquities act. mainly reconstructing Anasazi pots from shard piles. He had about 20 pots in his collection. They were sold in his estate, I wound up with these however. some very nice workmanship
    Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  87.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0182.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  79.0 KB
    A very old uncle, as the antiquities act was signed in 1906

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    That’s not a rock, it’s a chert flake!

There is a lot of obsidian flakes scattered in the general area where I live. The closest source of obsidian is several hundred miles away and was home of other tribes. It is an indicator of commerce between different cultures.
    Well commerce or war/conflict. Whatever floats your boat.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I believe the available evidence is that it was typically used for hunting.

Guy I work with spends lots of time out in the Eastern OR desert looking for artifacts. He found these about three months ago at Glass Buttes, a well-known knapping site about 50 miles east of Fort Rock, where a bunch of 10,000 YO sandals were found.

Name:	IMG_0174.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	338579

One on the left is a spear point, the other is a scraper or axe.
    He says to look near badger holes, where they kick them out when digging tunnels

He also found a cache of 35 arrowheads in a rock crevice near Fort Rock.

Not an arrowhead but a good secondary find

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kel...ied-below/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums