Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1547
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Absolutely.
    I'm curious though. Let's say that you haven't had your Sushi fix since the beginning of March and you can't take it any longer. You decide that you need to go to your favorite sushi place and pick-up 8 rolls and 20 pieces of nigiri for you and your roommates/family. Splurge!! The bill comes out to $300. It's your turn to pick up. A young man walks from the front door of the restaurant to the curb where you are parked with a paper bag. Do you give him $400? If you have roommates, do you just ask them to contribute the price of the meal + the 25%+ tip? Well, Sushi is a bad example, because people frequently tip the fish cutter. You can substitute sushi for other ski town over-priced restaurant.

If you would do this, then I give you props, but you are a better man than me. I work too hard for my money, and I haven't worked quite some time.
    Sounds like the idea of spontaneous generosity might fuck up your tightly managed spreadsheet.

Clearly tipping does not "spark joy" as it does for other shmoes like myself.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Respectful disagreement. By that logic you could say that anyone who makes any investment would be overextended if the investment somehow becomes extraordinarily devalued through no fault of their own.
    That IS what I'm saying, and it is a guiding principle that more people should take to heart. It served my parents well despite COVID forcing my dad to close his practice almost three years earlier than he planned to.

Haven’t done the math until now but looks like I’m tipping about 70% on our weekly take out pizza and I’m so far under our old monthly food budget. Can’t wait to chat with those guys again as they’re pouring a good bourbon neat at their bar someday.

Haven’t felt bad about any of my friends who still have jobs but budgets are really tight because the second mortgage on their mountain town 2nd homes are not covered by STR income right now.

Bartenders for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Haven’t done the math until now but looks like I’m tipping about 70% on our weekly take out pizza and I’m so far under our old monthly food budget. Can’t wait to chat with those guys again as they’re pouring a good bourbon neat at their bar someday.

Haven’t felt bad about any of my friends who still have jobs but budgets are really tight because the second mortgage on their mountain town 2nd homes are not covered by STR income right now.

Bartenders for the win.
    I wish I had more hands...so I could give this post 4 thumbs up!

Wife is on Schindlerpiste's side on this one. Not me, no way never. Give all my hard earned money away and feel good about it.
    The market is dominated by fat skis largely because young toughs want what they see in videos: organ donors hucking into heliski bowls. -Seth Masia

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Absolutely.
    I'm curious though. Let's say that you haven't had your Sushi fix since the beginning of March and you can't take it any longer. You decide that you need to go to your favorite sushi place and pick-up 8 rolls and 20 pieces of nigiri for you and your roommates/family. Splurge!! The bill comes out to $300. It's your turn to pick up. A young man walks from the front door of the restaurant to the curb where you are parked with a paper bag. Do you give him $400? If you have roommates, do you just ask them to contribute the price of the meal + the 25%+ tip? Well, Sushi is a bad example, because people frequently tip the fish cutter. You can substitute sushi for other ski town over-priced restaurant.

If you would do this, then I give you props, but you are a better man than me. I work too hard for my money, and I haven't worked quite some time.
    If you can drop $300 for a takeout dinner, you can afford a decent tip to help out the people working there on curtailed hours.

No doubt. I wouldn’t think of doing $300 take out, but I wouldn’t think of giving away a franklin either.
    I thought that when I gave the cashier at Wing Coop a $6 tip that I was doing a good deed. Now, I know better
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Waitstaff comp is pretty directly tied to receipts. So why would you balk at a $100 tip on a $300 order, but not a $6 tip on a $20(?) order?

I'm an essential worker with the construction business, so no disruption on our income side. We've been trying our hardest to eat out a couple times a week. Only at locally owned joints, and tipping excessively, like 30 to 50% with a hard floor at 10 bucks. I want my local restaurants to survive. The folks I'm tipping are usually the owner or part of their family.

Just ask them how they're holding up and their eyes will tell you everything. They're terrified of the amount of human contact they have. They're terrified their revenue has dropped 60 percent. Help them however you can, even if you can't afford to tip. The food service size packs are likely going underused and if they're open, it needs to move. With bar service closed, they're not pulling in that added revenue either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Respectful disagreement. By that logic you could say that anyone who makes any investment would be overextended if the investment somehow becomes extraordinarily devalued through no fault of their own.

Recklessness on the part of the investor would make you right , but a normal, cautious person trying to prepare for the future by investing in a rental uses (yes, I'm presuming here) reasonable models and expectations to establish it as an investment with certain reasonable expectations of its performance, just like anywhere else you might park money.

I imagine many have savings or retirement accounts that if suddenly lost through force majeure would significantly damage their lifestyle. If not now, certainly in the future.
    I don't own a second home, but have wished for it, run the numbers all the time over the last 15+years, etc. So I get it, and yeah, I'd be screwed right now if I had bought one, because I'd need the rental income. And that sucks for those people, and unlike glade I do have sympathy for them; some of them are my friends!

And yeah, the virus was unexpected and screwed them. But I don't for a second buy into the narrative that this is not something that could be accounted for, or that investing in STR properties is "just like anywhere else you might park money"; it's investing in your own business, it's not the same as buying a mutual fund (which, by the way, still has risk). The truly cautious investor doesn't heavily leverage themselves. And when you take out loans on properties where you don't have the employment income or savings to pay the mortgage, that's risky. It may have been calculated risk taking (as I said, it's a risk I considered many times). But ANYONE leveraging themselves like that who didn't think long and hard about "what will I do if I can't rent the place and still have to pay the mortgage" is not prudent and cautious. They took a big risk, whether they realized it or not.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-13-2020 at 11:58 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

But if they actually had longer term renters, uncle Sam would be paying the rent, so fuck them straight up the ass.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

skiJ said:Today 06:09 AM

guys -

it seems to me if one is buying real estate as an investment - with a mortgage - that is akin to buying stock on-margin --
    while that is the way many [play the game] , it has always been known that there is Significant Risk --

while there may be some similarity for a person who has created a business managing and maintaining such property to Food Service / waitstaff , I would draw a 'line in the sand' when a staffed Office is not maintained :
    waitstaff is shift work - an employee working scheduled Time in a business --
    There is little comparison to a situation or circumstance where Work can be done at one's convenience
    ( even If one is 'on call' for 'emergencies' ) .

Good luck -

( please ) Be Safe... skiJ

I oppose the whole STR thing because it fucks over working people by jacking up the LTR market. STR is simple greed. If you can't afford a second home outright, then don't buy one. It circumvents laws, regulations, and taxes regarding hotels and such. Fuck Air BnB and VRBO. Real estate should not be an investment. People need affordable places to live.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I oppose the whole STR thing because it fucks over working people by jacking up the LTR market. STR is simple greed. If you can't afford a second home outright, then don't buy one. It circumvents laws, regulations, and taxes regarding hotels and such. Fuck Air BnB and VRBO. Real estate should not be an investment. People need affordable places to live.
    We chose RE as an investment in part because it avoids the Wall Street shell game and in part because the fix ups and management we do go to people we know who are doing actual work. No STRs though, LTRS only and we try to be good landlords.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

You people do know that real estate is traditionally a credit fueled business, on all levels? Nobody buys with cash. Our tax codes are filled with rules that encourage buying on margin. Look at most large commercial projects. Even the mortgage tax deduction encourages borrowing on the residential side.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    One of the best things that is happening at this moment of financial turmoil is the destruction of the Airbnb industry, worldwide. It will dump tons of apartments on the long term market that have been taken out for tourists. Sucks for me and many others that have been using these apartments, but, overall, for most cities, positive. I've felt kinda guilty the last few trips to Europe, knowing that the apartments I've been using really should be available to locals. Sure was cheap, though. Don't know that I'll be able to afford a month in Europe again when all this blows over, but, no way I'm getting on a plane for 9 hours for a very long time. We'll see in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You people do know that real estate is traditionally a credit fueled business, on all levels? Nobody buys with cash. Our tax codes are filled with rules that encourage buying on margin. Look at most large commercial projects. Even the mortgage tax deduction encourages borrowing on the residential side.
    This. I don't mean to be an asshole or elitist by saying this, but some of you are thinking like poor people. You should almost never play with your own money if there's the opportunity to borrow it. It's simply how the game is played. Don't hate the player, hate the game - as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nobody buys with cash. .
    Whatever you say Ben, especially delivered with that forceful, undeniable, matter of fact asshole tone. You go girl.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This. I don't mean to be an asshole or elitist by saying this, but some of you are thinking like poor people. You should almost never play with your own money if there's the opportunity to borrow it. It's simply how the game is played. Don't hate the player.
    First of in theory you are probably correct. But the days of no recourse loans and corps hiding assets of the borrowers are well past done. I have never in my investing life been offered a loan without me being the co-signor. Therefore,even if i'm using the banks money, the ultimate responsibility falls on me to repay. Real estate, stocks etc. it doesn't matter. It's all margin.
    I can walk in tomorrow and borrow 2 million of the banks money for probably 2.5% with 5% down on a house easily. What I can't do is pay back the 1.9 million without renters. So yes I am using the banks money, but no income makes for a poor investment and me poor very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Whatever you say Ben, especially delivered with that forceful, undeniable, matter of fact asshole tone. You go girl.
    Fuck you. What the fuck is your problem?

This. I don't mean to be an asshole or elitist by saying this, but some of you are thinking like poor people. You should almost never play with your own money if there's the opportunity to borrow it. It's simply how the game is played. Don't hate the player, hate the game - as the saying goes.
    That's true, and buying property as an investment, with somebody else's dime, can be great. But just like anytime you borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars, you are taking on a lot of risk. Like avalanches, the risk of getting caught may be low but the consequences are high. So while I do feel bad for people who might default or whatever, I can't view it as them getting screwed by something they couldn't possibly have foreseen. It's always hard to know what the event is that will be the "risk", but just because nobody could predict what it would be doesn't mean they shouldn't have prepared for it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If I don't play with my money, what exactly am I supposed to do with it?

^^ You leverage it to borrow more money.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    First of in theory you are probably correct. But the days of no recourse loans and corps hiding assets of the borrowers are well past done. I have never in my investing life been offered a loan without me being the co-signor. Therefore,even if i'm using the banks money, the ultimate responsibility falls on me to repay. Real estate, stocks etc. it doesn't matter. It's all margin.
    I can walk in tomorrow and borrow 2 million of the banks money for probably 2.5% with 5% down on a house easily. What I can't do is pay back the 1.9 million without renters. So yes I am using the banks money, but no income makes for a poor investment and me poor very quickly.
    Sure. It's a risk, just like opening a restaurant or anything else. My real point is don't assign morality at random. What's going on right now is a pretty rare event that almost no one was prepared for.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I'm an essential worker with the construction business, so no disruption on our income side. We've been trying our hardest to eat out a couple times a week. Only at locally owned joints, and tipping excessively, like 30 to 50% with a hard floor at 10 bucks. I want my local restaurants to survive. The folks I'm tipping are usually the owner or part of their family.

Just ask them how they're holding up and their eyes will tell you everything. They're terrified of the amount of human contact they have. They're terrified their revenue has dropped 60 percent. Help them however you can, even if you can't afford to tip. The food service size packs are likely going underused and if they're open, it needs to move. With bar service closed, they're not pulling in that added revenue either.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    This times 1000....Went to the local Thai joint to pick up carry out for Mrs. Seano's birthday couple weeks ago. The owner was working the register, and when I asked how they were doing, she just broke down crying....I told her I'd give her a hug if I could, but.....Awful.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    That's true, and buying property as an investment, with somebody else's dime, can be great. But just like anytime you borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars, you are taking on a lot of risk. Like avalanches, the risk of getting caught may be low but the consequences are high. So while I do feel bad for people who might default or whatever, I can't view it as them getting screwed by something they couldn't possibly have foreseen. It's always hard to know what the event is that will be the "risk", but just because nobody could predict what it would be doesn't mean they shouldn't have prepared for it.
    All business entails risk. Just be connected or too big enough that Treasury covers your ass at times like this.