Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1547
    Our darling daughter is taking her online classes very seriously, her disappointment is only for the seniors who have lost their last season of sports and spring quarter on campus. Her only anger is the P/NP grading for her classes. The girl is a fighter pilot, participation awards don't mean shit to her.

Our only concern is her occupancy which will likely be through the summer, despite our persistent offers to pick up her rent at a place of her own. We see the potential cost as being inconsequential to the carnage being presently wrought upon the home - she bakes a small batch of cookies and the kitchen looks like Dresden after the firebombing. I don't know how much more this poor house can take. I've been pushing for a full gut remodel and it might finally need to happen just to fix the damage

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

· We know that the number of deaths in Sweden were an infinitesimal fraction of what the model would have predicted given Sweden’s relative do-nothing policy
    ·
    Sweden has 319 deaths per million which is worse than the USA at 238 per million or Canada at 121 per million

while the scandahoovian countries surrounding Sweden are still in the double digits
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Our darling daughter is taking her online classes very seriously, her disappointment is only for the seniors who have lost their last season of sports and spring quarter on campus. Her only anger is the P/NP grading for her classes. The girl is a fighter pilot, participation awards don't mean shit to her.

Our only concern is her occupancy which will likely be through the summer, despite our persistent offers to pick up her rent at a place of her own. We see the potential cost as being inconsequential to the carnage being presently wrought upon the home - she bakes a small batch of cookies and the kitchen looks like Dresden after the firebombing. I don't know how much more this poor house can take. I've been pushing for a full gut remodel and it might finally need to happen just to fix the damage
    Oh shit. Laughing. Sorry.

Yeah zh is the crappy source, but the photos of rental cars stacked in stadium parking lots is interesting.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/so...lots-around-us
    ====.
    Incidentally, earlier today we reported that Hertz and Avis had put stops on purchases and, in some cases, re-directed purchases they've already made to additional parking lots. These companies have cancelled "all orders of GM vehicles for May, June and into July".

This has left GM and Hyundai taking back cars that it had agreed to sell to Hertz, Avis and Enterprise. Last month, Fiat underwent efforts to try and redirect almost 30,000 vehicles these companies had purchased, but was unable to transfer them.

The chaos has continued this month when Avis had to sell $500 million in junk bonds and Hertz was granted a last-minute concession from its lenders to narrowly avoid bankruptcy. Meanwhile, rental car sales fell 77% in April.

Most recently, Bloomberg reported this morning that rental icon Hertz hired advisors to consider a bankruptcy and the auto industry has placed a major bet on incentives to try and move inventory off of their lots.

Based on what we're seeing in parking lots around the nation, it isn't working.
    I saw some nonsense about more potential bailouts for automakers because of this stuff. No takebacks on leases right now.

They should have to sell every damned car, no matter the loss, before getting a penny from taxpayers. $1 is more than $0.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Ok don’t shoot the messenger, but the officers of non profits frequently make a fuck ton of cash, even if they aren’t embezzling. Gates I don’t know, haven’t looked into it.
    Yep, that would make a lot of sense. You put money into a foundation so you don't have to pay tax on it. Then you pay yourself a big salary from the foundation--and get to pay the tax you just saved. Obviously people who are employed by the foundation to do work are paid salaries, which in general are a lot less than people could earn in for profit businesses. If you actually want to know what people make in the Gates Foundation https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Bill-&-Me...ation/salaries

Money in a foundation is no longer in the control of the foundation donor. It is controlled by the trustees of the foundation wo ordinarily are not the donor or family. Trump excepted.

People who set up foundations do cheat, like they do in every other kind of financial arrangements. But generally speaking the rules surrounding foundations and the scrutiny they are under make cheating a risky and not very profitable enterprise. There are many better ways to game the system and many of them are legal. The one form of cheating that is rampant is using charitable foundations to finance a political agenda--for example taking out ads about a certain issue without actually naming the candidate who benefits from the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Sweden has 319 deaths per million which is worse than the USA at 238 per million or Canada at 121 per million

while the scandahoovian countries surrounding Sweden are still in the double digits
    Yep - and it's worth noting that's with universal health care and less income inequality... so if the US tried the same it would be much worse, most likely.

Online order for in-store pickup from Home Depot took nearly a week to be "ready the same day" and the line to actually get in the store to pick it up was over 50 people deep. Nope.

Not a complaint. Thing #2 moved in in early March when school locked the doors. Reading some of the travails of others' with their college age kids at home I'm compelled to express my gratitude for how easy and frankly delightful this guy is to have as a quarantine pal.

We've settled into a nice rhythm where we are pretty much on our own during the day. He's taking 15 college credits online and always way ahead on the work, gets killer grades. If I have a project I need help on he's right there without an eye roll. While he acknowledges the weirdness of what we're all going and that it definitely causes some anxiousness, there's nary a complaint.

Around 5 we initiate happy hour and dinner prep. Creat/cook dinner together, chat - sometimes about serious things - then cocktails, meal, some wine, and a movie. It's vastly extended time together without an emphasis on some 'quality time' agenda. I suspect we'll both feel like it was a pretty neat bonding experience.

He'll probably be here through the summer, back to 'regular' school in the fall.

Only downside is the exponential increase in my grocery bills from rolling solo. Could be a whole lot worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    Online order for in-store pickup from Home Depot took nearly a week to be "ready the same day" and the line to actually get in the store to pick it up was over 50 people deep. Nope.
    I'm on day ten of waiting for an order of ten pieces of lumber and a box of wood screws. In my area these stores have been closed, curbside pick up only. As of today, they have reopened. I've already read a number of curb side pick up horror stories with long lines up of cars snaking around a plaza, can only think it will be way worse now that you have the additional walk in traffic. First world problems but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Could be a whole lot worse.
    Nice. Thanks for posting that. Actually sounds like a few negative Ogdens there.

Coronavirus complaint/commiseration thread.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Not a complaint. Thing #2 moved in in early March when school locked the doors. Reading some of the travails of others' with their college age kids at home I'm compelled to express my gratitude for how easy and frankly delightful this guy is to have as a quarantine pal.

We've settled into a nice rhythm where we are pretty much on our own during the day. He's taking 15 college credits online and always way ahead on the work, gets killer grades. If I have a project I need help on he's right there without an eye roll. While he acknowledges the weirdness of what we're all going and that it definitely causes some anxiousness, there's nary a complaint.

Around 5 we initiate happy hour and dinner prep. Creat/cook dinner together, chat - sometimes about serious things - then cocktails, meal, some wine, and a movie. It's vastly extended time together without an emphasis on some 'quality time' agenda. I suspect we'll both feel like it was a pretty neat bonding experience.

He'll probably be here through the summer, back to 'regular' school in the fall.

Only downside is the exponential increase in my grocery bills from rolling solo. Could be a whole lot worse.
    That sounds pretty great actually. Some day down the road he will look back on the experience and really appreciate it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yep - and it's worth noting that's with universal health care and less income inequality... so if the US tried the same it would be much worse, most likely.
    yup 80,000 dead this AM so at the rate of 320 per million that would theoreticaly put the USA at 102 thousand dead going all Swedish

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    That sounds pretty great actually. Some day down the road he will look back on the experience and really appreciate it.
    Yes, look on the bright side--that is a time that OP and his son will always remember, and probably fondly.

My dad is getting pretty close to the end. I went out (6+ hour drive) a few weeks ago, and set up camp and just did the WFH thing in his dining room. I had a fair amount of trepidation about the visit. As I told my wife before I went, I haven't spent more than 2 consecutive nights with either parent in over 30 years. We had a good time though. He sleeps a lot, so when he was awake, I would hang out with him while he watched TV. When he dozed off or went to bed, I would go into the other room and work or surf the net. I cooked dinner every night so that was some focused one on one time. The night before I came home he thanked me for coming out. I told him I wish it hadn't taken a combination of a pandemic and terminal cancer to cause the visit, but "hey, I'm glad I was able to come, and the fact is that I wouldn't have done it if these two things did not co-exist."

If he ever gets out of the hospital (just there due to an infection), I'm going to go back and do it again.

“You can recover from a drop in the GDP,” Fernández has said about his decision to implement an early lockdown. “But you can’t recover from death.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...Xmx5nMjzu19XPY

Argentina vs Brazil no not soccer, deaths per million

7 per million, a total of 300 deaths for Argentina taking lockdown seriuosly

50 per million, a total of 10,000+ deaths for Brazil where Bolsanaro " the Trump of the tropics " was quoted as saying " confront it like a man not a boy "

so again you got countries side by side with different strategies and way different death tolls
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-10-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yup 80,000 dead this AM so at the rate of 320 per million that would theoreticaly put the USA at 102 thousand dead going all Swedish
    Only if you count like the Swedes do
    . . .

Programming slime oozing out from your TV set

. . .

Listen Core Shot, I need you to hear what my podunk company you bought 1 item from 4 years ago is doing about COVID. It's very important, more than fixing our non-functional unsubscribe button you gave up on pressing 1 year ago.

Is it party time in your opinion?
    Are the Swedes over or under reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Nice. Thanks for posting that. Actually sounds like a few negative Ogdens there.
    Wrong unit!

He’s high on the Provo scale.
    Like 8 Provos.

Omfg. Puke

MLB has their proposal for a baseball season this summer. 82 games starting in July. All games have the DH and teams will primarily play teams in their geographic area to reduce travel. Games will be played at the teams' regular stadia, but without fans. 14 team playoff (expanded from the normal 10). This plan needs to be approved by the Players' Union, though, and it seems like the major stumbling block could be salaries. MLB is proposing a 50/50 split between the owners and players.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-in-early-july

Of fucking course they used this opportunity to sneak in the DH, and they’ll keep it. Like the 14 team playoffs.

Boooooooo!

College Boards is a big scam. My middle kid is taking AP exams this week. I know they had to do something, however, the online format seems like a joke to me. And at the full price.

The DH thing caught my eye too. This attempt will die in a fire. No way a player or staff doesn’t get the Covids and then it’s over. Hopefully before a DH ever takes a swing in a regular season NL game