Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1547
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Um, risking one's life might be worth, oh, maybe, 15%, maybe? Jezuz. Or learn to cook, cheap bastards.
    Like Danno, I am not doing take-out. But that's because i am limiting as much contact as I can. Personally, while I am usually a 20% tipper for table service, I don't think servers should be tipped at all. They should earn a living wage. In the meanwhile waiting for that bit of the workers paradise to arrive, I tip. For table service. Window and take-out employees better not be getting paid as if they were tipped employees. If that's the case, then there are a whole lot of states that need to crack down and serve up some hefty fines.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    How can they possibly talk science and believe in astrology? Does not compute.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    I'd like to see self pitch softball rules with homeruns as outs.
    Stoop ball would be pretty safe. I once threw a no hitter playing stoop ball. Wait, does that mean I lost a no hitter? It's confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The flu was a bad one this year. That has been documented.

Perhaps those Feb cases were COVID, but not Dec.

My complaint: I started saving and returning our cans and bottles a few years ago with my son. He earns spending money crushing cans and bringing them with me to get cash. He keeps the cash.

We had a pretty solid stock when everything shut down. Now I have about $50 worth of recycling sitting in my garage. That is a big chunk of change but I can return them because recycling is non essential. Now, the State did charge me a buckle a piece on the promise they would give it back if I brought them in to a recycler. They closed the recyclers, but is still taking my money. I think it now amounts to an illegal tax that I’m considering buying an automatic weapon to match on the capital with to show I’m no sheep. I want my $50. We fought a war over this shit.
    You recycle?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I tried to post this in the MLB thread but that big pic of skinny CC freaked me out and I had to retreat. So, I received a little bit of a virus safety beatdown here at home earlier from my wife and daughter, with them trying to get all sciencey on me. And a few minutes ago I walked in on the two of them in a deep dive on astrology. wtf. This shall not stand. Hold my beer and watch this, fellas.
    Charge the mound!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Charge the mound!
    I thought we were supposed to pound the mound
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Interesting cop Coronavirus rant

Unless wings and baseball are more important.

I guess he got a million views.

And fired.
    As he should have been. Long and detailed case law regarding public employees and free speech. The standard is : Is the employee speaking as a private citizen on a matter of public concern? Post a vid in uniform on duty, you are fucked......And no I’m not a lawyer/ dentist, but I do have direct experience with this type of shit.......Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    My great/grand (whatever) WWII serving uncle beat the rona, at 94 y/o. Guy is invincible.

Don't think his quality of life has been too good the last few years, but it still brings a smile to my face.
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Could be. I like to think it's in everyone's best interest to have a season in some form this summer if possible and if it can be done safely, so at least there's that...
    Name:  417uc0.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  59.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Anyone who has watched the final season of Brockmire will find this eerily familiar.
    Jim Brockmire is the hero we need right now.

(no spoilers please)
    I still call it The Jake.

Only spoiler I got is that the TV series is finished. Too bad, it was a fun ride.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Not with the same consistency that eliminating 30%(ok, 1/3) of the game will.

While we're at it, I think aluminum bats should be legalized. And get rid of helmets for batters, let's make this interesting. No gloves for outfielders either. Let's see how those soft hands drills paid off.
    Sounds like cricket with more murder

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My Corona bitch of the day:
    OK, so I haven't eaten out since the beginning of March. Yesterday, we hiked up Collins and built up an appetite, so we decided to get takeout at out favorite wings place. This was my first curbside pick up experience. The worker walked out of the store handed us the wings and fried pickles, and I inserted my credit card. The bill was something like $44.50. He asked me whether I wanted to leave a tip. I thought that the question was a bit weird, but out of sympathy for the service provider, I said OK and thought that I would give him $3-5. Then he asked whether I wanted to leave 15%, 20% or 25%. I told him that I wanted to leave him $5. He replied that was only 15% (not in a nasty way).
    I'm wondering whether people are expected to tip on curbside? I think that restaurants should pay the people who walk from the front door of the restaurant to the car minimum wage, because not everyone will tip 15%-20% for curbside delivery.
    I agree they should be paid more, but now they get paid like $2 and hour and rely on tips. Normal tipping is out the window right now IMO and I am tipping 20-25% on everything just because those workers are getting the shaft.

Tipping is the biggest scam but it’s not the servers fault.

We give the kid who puts the groceries in the car $5. 20% if I sit down. Couple of bucks in the tip jar when I pick up a pizza because what's a couple of bucks.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    As he should have been. Long and detailed case law regarding public employees and free speech. The standard is : Is the employee speaking as a private citizen on a matter of public concern? Post a vid in uniform on duty, you are fucked......And no I’m not a lawyer/ dentist, but I do have direct experience with this type of shit.......Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
    You buy the ticket, take the fucking ride. Into morantown. I gave up an acceptance to West Point for a last minute gut check after trying so hard.

I got into my first choice too, Reed *buster, but couldn't afford to go. Had my alumni interview at the top of the empire state building.

So, sometimes, you don't buy the ticket, and you choose to hop trains.

And you still can create change. You don't need to trust me. My work speaks for themselves.

Natives are getting restless and making use of our grill here in the shop. I am not participating and continuing to just go home for lunch. I am seen as the resident weirdo/pussy because of this stance. Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I agree they should be paid more, but now they get paid like $2 and hour and rely on tips. Normal tipping is out the window right now IMO and I am tipping 20-25% on everything just because those workers are getting the shaft.

Tipping is the biggest scam but it’s not the servers fault.
    I am with supermoon on most of this --
    what I will add is -

If you are getting take-out from a restaurant you would normally dine-in at , Please - please, please - Tip the staff .

If you think they are no longer being paid ' Wait staff ' wages, I will take that bet :

I believe many of these people are working to have a-n-y revenue And hope as society reoOpens they will still have a job (!)
    ( where I come from Tips are shared with kitchen staff, too )

in my opinion, if you believe you do not have to Tip wait staff in a restaurant Only offering take-out , my suggestion would be fix your own meal ;

Delis and take-out only pizza are different animals...

there is one restaurant within fifteen miles --
    I try to take-out two meals a week there because when this is over, I hope they are still in business
    ( early on, I believe there were days they sold very, very few meals
    ( it has picked-up a little since Easter, but the last time I saw the owner, he looked Very shaken ) )

Good luck -

Be well,
    ( Please ) Be Safe...

Please Tip restaurant staff -

peace. tj

^^^I agree with all of this, but why would a restaurant only offering take-out employ a wait staff? Any way, I was happy to pay a $6 tip on a $44 take-out bill, and am happier, if the $$$ was given to an underpaid and hurting server.
    The thing to realize is that everyone (consumer to restaurant owner to unemployed and employed wait staff) is hurting. Mon. was my first experience with curbside. My feeling is that the software used by the restaurant has a place for auto tip % (15%-20%-25%). I know this from eating there over the years.

Having said that, $6 on a $45 bill is a lot, when the person (whether it be chef, wait staff, or other) did nothing, other than walk the meal about 15 feet from the door. If they are doing this 20X in 1 hr., then they are making a great wage.

We can take this further to the small condo owner who had a no cancel policy, but who was expected to give a full refund to the renter who decided to not take the trip because of COVID. If we don't mind giving g 20-25% to a person who walks the food 10-15', why do we expect a cold owner to forego the cancellation policy? Like I said, everyone is hurting.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

^^^I agree with all of this, but why would a restaurant only offering take-out employ a wait staff?
    Because companies who took PPP funds need to maintain payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Natives are getting restless and making use of our grill here in the shop. I am not participating and continuing to just go home for lunch. I am seen as the resident weirdo/pussy because of this stance. Bullshit.
    I get some of the same thing.

What grinds me is that I’m not really doing anything out of a concern for myself; I’m pretty confident that I’m not too susceptible to this thing and feel generally invincible. I’m doing it out of concern for my community and those I come into contact with who are far more susceptible, many of the same people who raise their eyebrows at me doing basic things like maintain distancing, wear a mask, or frequently disinfect doorknobs and work surfaces.

Like... you’re not being tough or whatever by not being afraid of this thing and making a point of that. You’re just being an inconsiderate prick.
    focus.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So things are opening up here. Low cases, etc. I live very close to a local very popular brewery. Was astounded to see the parking lot 100% full and overflow streets also filling up yesterday. There is ZERO chance any distancing or reduced capacity was happening per the governors phased opening schedule.

IDK, not trying to be a negative nancy. Maybe if the place was mostly outdoor seating, but it's mostly indoor seating. IDK. Seems like a very stupid and selfish thing on the breweries part. But, rules do not apply to heady super local crunchy breweries and distilleries around here so I get it.

^^^I agree with all of this, but why would a restaurant only offering take-out employ a wait staff? Any way, I was happy to pay a $6 tip on a $44 take-out bill, and am happier, if the $$$ was given to an underpaid and hurting server.
    The thing to realize is that everyone (consumer to restaurant owner to unemployed and employed wait staff) is hurting. Mon. was my first experience with curbside. My feeling is that the software used by the restaurant has a place for auto tip % (15%-20%-25%). I know this from eating there over the years.

Having said that, $6 on a $45 bill is a lot, when the person (whether it be chef, wait staff, or other) did nothing, other than walk the meal about 15 feet from the door. If they are doing this 20X in 1 hr., then they are making a great wage.

We can take this further to the small condo owner who had a no cancel policy, but who was expected to give a full refund to the renter who decided to not take the trip because of COVID. If we don't mind giving g 20-25% to a person who walks the food 10-15', why do we expect a cold owner to forego the cancellation policy? Like I said, everyone is hurting.
    You mean a real estate investor who owns a small condo for short term rentals making affordable property unattainable for both ownership or long term rentals for a lot of people so they can't live where they work? An investor who most likely lives out of state?

I'd rather worry about tipping heavy for my local favorite restaurants.

You're making a lot of assumptions. What about the guy who depends upon the condo income to put food on his table? You know, the retired guy who would rather invest in real estate than the stock market, or the guy who owns a real estate management company with 5-15 units, where he makes his money based upon 25% of the rental. These guys still have to pay dear HOA fees and RE taxes. That guy is now pulling in no money, and was expected to return 100% of non-refundable $ to a consumer.
    Everyone is hurting. I'm glad that people are happy to help others when they can, but unsure why the process is selective.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I'm biased, and it's completely personal, watching many people I know who told me how smart they were by getting into the AirB&B game the last few years and how dumb I was for not and they now figuring out how to pay those mortgages. I feel bad for the folks using it as their retirement income especially if they were doing the safer, long term leases.

My feelings on short term rentals is that many people bailed on long term leases because the profit was higher for short term. Risk and reward.

Sure, people are having trouble paying rent which goes to the landlord but those payment didn't just dry up overnight like short term rentals-risk.

I'm not happy any of this is happening and don't want anyone to lose their primary housing or food. I'm looking at it through a risk and reward lens too. Am I sad that people can't make investment property payments if they still have a job that feeds them or vacation home payments...not really.

You're making a lot of assumptions. What about the guy who depends upon the condo income to put food on his table? You know, the retired guy who would rather invest in real estate than the stock market, or the guy who owns a real estate management company with 5-15 units, where he makes his money based upon 25% of the rental. These guys still have to pay dear HOA fees and RE taxes. That guy is now pulling in no money, and was expected to return 100% of non-refundable $ to a consumer.
    Everyone is hurting. I'm glad that people are happy to help others when they can, but unsure why the process is selective.
    Sounds like they should have a real job, should realize this is the assumed risk part of investing, and should have had a backup plan for when they lose their income. Something along the lines of 3-6 months or more of expenses saved up.

We are getting takeout twice a week from our local establishments.
    Everybody still working is on reduced hours.
    So I'm tipping 35%. It's not a lot of money to me in the final analysis, and the people working in these restaurants can certainly use the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Sounds like they should have a real job.
    So, that just tells me that you have never owned multiple rental units.