Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I think the kids/we will be okay. Watch 1917 and realize that’s right before the flu pandemic. Puts it in perspective

My girlfriend of 5 years decided we were done 3 weeks ago, leaving me homeless and heartbroken. Thankfully, my friends have a spare room I'm staying in now. I'm thankful I don't have to be alone. These are the darkest days of my life. Skiing, climbing, and paragliding, the things I lived for during the last 10 years, my mental escapes, are all basically shut down. On top of that, not being able to date for the foreseeable future is soul crushing. There is nothing I want more right now than some intimate human contact.

BUT, I have an essential government job that is not going away, I have no debt and a bunch of savings to lean on. Yeah, my 401k took a big hit, but at least I have one. I have friends to pass the time with during the shelter in place. I get to go to work with zero traffic, and I still get paid every 2 weeks. Bike rides are nice with so little car traffic. I'm in my early 30s, so my chances of dying of covid are lower than those older than me. And someday, this will be over and I will have pushed through adversity, coming out a stronger, better person. I'm trying to keep perspective, because even though my shit sucks right now, I will be fine in the end.
    Last edited by zartagen; 04-25-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Interesting link; I should say, interesting if true...
    Yeah I can't really vouch for them beyond the fact that this stuff is what they do, trends, resource management, etc. are in their wheelhouse. Probably the biggest thing is the assumptions. If those don't happen then the numbers are badly flawed. In any event I'm sure they're right that it's gonna be really bad in a couple of weeks. From there, I just hope they're right and it tails off fairly quickly. But we will see.

Zartagen, that sucks, hang in there
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m stupid busy at work and so is my wife. At night when I have 20 minutes to catch up all I see on social media is people being bored. Wish I was home without shit to do getting tons of projects done. Instead I’m working 14 hour days and 8 hrs a day on the weekend. Wife is working a lot too (healthcare IT). We have a 10 month old who we juggle throughout the day. She may have to take a temporary pay cut because the hospital is spending so much $ right now on supplies. Only good news is I should actually make a lot more this year and neither of us are at all worried about losing our jobs. Time to save up and buy the dip.

/ bitching about how lucky we are.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I feel your pain. My wife was working 70 hours a week before this and is now trying to replicate that from home with a 6yo, 8yo and me now working full-time from home too. She works for a small real estate development/property management company and they all took a pay cut to avoid laying off a bunch of people. But they are a younger company and not cash rich so they’re trying to figure out how long they can float when tenants stop paying rent.

My job has been super busy the last 2 weeks since we closed all our huts and are still dealing with all those cancellations, refund requests, etc. Plus I’m the IT guy so setting up our entire company to work remote for the next 2 months has been a time suck. Hopefully that will slow down for me after this next week but we may then be looking at another round of closures for May and even into June.

Just a bunch of first world problems really. Our daughters are awesome in all of this, I just feel bad because we haven’t been able to really enjoy our extra time with them.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Small potatoes compared to others but after working my previous job for the past six years I got a new one and was planning on taking two weeks off in between to road trip, fish and mountain bike. Now all the local bike trails are closed, fishing is banned and I'm sure not taking a road trip. Washington's self isolation started my last day at my old job. Now my new job start date has been bumped back due to no HR support and I can't do shit outside.

At least I've got a good amount of savings, a wife that still works and my health, but I was bumming for a few days there.

One thing I've done that has helped is have been doing a couple different core/general strength workout circuits daily. It's been nice doing that and getting our for

Here they are if that helps anyone out.
    https://www.uphillathlete.com/scotts...e-routine-pdf/

https://www.uphillathlete.com/general-strength-routine/

There's plenty I could bitch about, but I'm not going to because I'm in a pretty good place overall to ride this out. Definitely have some survivor's guilt knowing things are basically fine with me, but shitloads of people are experiencing horrible physical, emotional, and financial suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    I was really down for a good week and a half. I'd spent weeks watching for The Storm (that would be like nothing else since December; this is California), watching it materialize on the forecast, lining up my clearance to get away for most of a week, pin-pointing the optimal days and where I'd be skiing. And then realizing that it wouldn't happen.

And then: Stuck inside with wife (no problem there) and a stir-crazy middle-schooler (yeah, that's been annoying). Catching a cold (sniffles etc, no cough or temp) and recovering. And realizing that the big picture is going to get worse, much worse.

Then, I had an attitude readjustment, along the lines of what Core Shot said.

So I put a coat of end-of-season wax on my powder skis (and the others), did major adjustments to my workout schedule, watched some bad movies (Avalanche Sharks, now streaming on Hoopla, struck me as a perfect metaphor for my would-be powder week experience), and I'm now being grateful for having a home with a full fridge, not being sick, and feeling bad for all the others who are now, or will be, in much worse shape than us even if they don't get, ahem, it's now the AMERICAN rat flu.
    Sounds like my past two weeks. Except my kid is 8. And took up trail biking again. My old bike was is such shape I busted the chain the their day. Now I’m learning how to work on my bike.

At least I have time to deal with the rats that just found a way into my ground level storage room. Battle is on motherfuckers.

Are you parents allowing your kids some time with other neighborhood kids outside, 6’ apart?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post

My job has been super busy the last 2 weeks since we closed all our huts and are still dealing with all those cancellations, refund requests, etc.
    You guys are processing refunds? I was told by my trip leader that we weren't getting a refund, just a hut credit that seems fairly useless (expires in a year, but the lottery has already ended so can't use it for our lottery submission).
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Are you parents allowing your kids some time with other neighborhood kids outside, 6’ apart?
    My neighborhood is split 50/50. Along with our family there are two other families(only children so no surprise they’re desperate for other kiddos to play with) that have been letting the kids out to ride bikes together as long as they stay spaced out. But there’s a couple other families that are way more paranoid and we’ve barely seen those kids for the last 2 weeks. One of them is my oldest daughters best friend and it’s pretty sad to see them waving from the windows or playing outside but at the opposite end of the neighborhood from the other kids riding bikes. We have a pretty tight group of families all with kids the same age and it’s been interesting to see where everyone falls on this kind of stuff.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's plenty I could bitch about, but I'm not going to because I'm in a pretty good place overall to ride this out. Definitely have some survivor's guilt knowing things are basically fine with me, but shitloads of people are experiencing horrible physical, emotional, and financial suffering.
    I should print this out and paste it on the wall in every room in the house. Thanks for the reality check.

my life is also crazy busy. Wednesday was my my first day off in 16 days straight of work. my last timesheet had over 60 hours on it. i snapped at one of my bosses on Friday (FUCK!). I also took Saturday off, where i did my first length strenuous exercise in over 2 weeks, followed by several hours of running my chainsaw and stacking slash (that all felt good). we also bought take-out pizza from one of the shops in town that are trying to stay open. that felt good too, we rarely get food from restaurants, and i'm working again today (Sunday). my wife is also trying to work. we have 3 school-aged kids, two of which are very resistant to most of their new at-home school assigned. a leisurely/recreation weekend feels like a true thing of the past.

but, i'm most commiserating about how this all will effect my local friends and the local economy. We know families that own local hotels, campgrounds, restaurants, and the movie theatres. only a few of the restaurants have shuttered, and i see desperation on FB for the friends that are trying to keep their restaurants open. all these businesses are run on a shoestring, and they all took a BIG hit after the week-long power outages last fall. one of the restaurant owners have sold their most valuable car (gen3 4runner) to have some cash on-hand, and luckily the husband was taken in by one of the markets to fill in hours at their meat counter.

and then there's the clear and present danger from the racism towards asian-americans. i have asian-american friends across the country that are now running their minimal errands with mace at hand in their purses or pockets out of fear of racist random violence. Many are not running errands at night. Several are healthcare providers and have no choice. it's pretty upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    it’s been interesting to see where everyone falls on this kind of stuff.
    ^^This. We let our kids hike and bike with friends. It's trickier when they want to hang out inside after hiking or biking. Previously we were allowing them to hang out inside with ONE friend if the other parents agree. Now that we are under new shelter in place guidelines as of yesterday, I guess they should not do that? But damn, they have both lost a lot to this and kept a pretty good attitude. If both families agree to the risk, should we let them hang out with one friend? We're talking teenagers who are smart enough to not swap germs like little kids do. I'm struggling with where to draw the line here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Man, I drive around town and look at the closed storefronts and my heart sinks. So many people living on the thin edge already. My kids in their early twenties just trying to get their feet under them.

John Prine on a ventilator

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post

Fuck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

We were out driving RC cars today, and my 7 to sent it big time. Landing... Not so good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200329_150022.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	322866

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Ugh come on John P. You can do this.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    The people buying guns may be the ones spreading the virus now.. guns shops are considered necessary for some reason..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    And the weed shops and sporting goods stores don’t?
    Yes I’m being a dick. My wife just told me her hospital will be issuing homemade masks this week. One of the largest hospital systems in the country and they will walk around like fucking bad guys in a bad western.

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post

Fuck. Shits unreal.

The singing mailman. Fuck.
    . . .

Vodka and ginger ale on me

But I don’t have nine mile long cigarette

. . .

Bummer
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    No. I can go bankrupt.

But my wife is going to get this. And I hope she doesn’t leave two motherless children.

Her colleague spent 25 minutes today trying to intubate a frothing, spewing, bloody, clogged lung covid patient. In an n95 mask. He finally got the airway.
    Then he stripped naked to take a hot shower, as did the assisting tech.

This shit is nasty. And yes, cops and emt workers have exposure. But wtf. Intubating someone with gurgle gargling lungs spitting and spewing a bloody virus mixture in your face is fucking next level nasty.

And yet, our local hospital gave PAPR respirators to the drive up testing bullshit so all you snowflakes can get nasal swabbed to find out if you have it, after a five day delay. And once you know, what does it matter. Distance. Shelter in place fucktard.

Save the full garb goggle ppe and PAPR respirators for the full on frontline workers.

And don’t get “tested”
    Fuck that shit. If you have trouble breathing, go to the ER.
    If you feel sick, stay home stay hydrated, take Tylenol, not Advil

/endRant
    I found a n95 in the tool room I think it was a 2 pack its in the plastic and I didn't open it
    I found the used one which is good enough for me

if ya want it pm and ill send it with some seeds to git the kids out digging in the dirt or watchin stuff grow in the window sill
    attempt to stay safe and positive
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Cross post from prepper thread, for a bit of levity
    I'm sure you parents with small kids can relate
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/B99hVUX...d=1oy21s2fob00
    ^^ thank you!