Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Hmmm....I do have some freezer-burned habs, scorpions, and ghost peppers I could throw down...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    nothing to do except be online, but of course being online is more unbearable than ever before. I basically want to murder everyone I know with a hammer.
    A maul is more effective
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    Hmmm....I do have some freezer-burned habs, scorpions, and ghost peppers I could throw down...
    alternative is chopping up those and letting them sit in warm cooking oil for a day or two, then pour that down the holes.

We have mountain beavers (no, that's not an R. Crumb story) and deer that destroy saplings. I find that hot oil on the trunks and fronds keeps the deer off and the battle with the mountain beavers encroaching into the gardens has been won by pouring hot oil into their burrows.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post

I did have a 6' happy hour with a neighbor the other day. He brought his own drink and camp chair and setup 8-10' away from me, on the other side of the sidewalk, for a chat. There are articles out there talking about how even that much contact/proximity isn't 'social distancing,' but I figure the suuuuper minor additional transmission risk was worth the mental health boost.
    Did this exact same thing yesterday afternoon.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Just be careful pouring hot oil on your beavers. The last thing you need is a trip to the ER right now.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mix hot water with Chinese hot pepper powder and pour that into the holes. Keeps them out for a few days at least.
    So, basically, you are marinating them before you burn them in their holes?

Mmmm...interesting..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Our three old puts her mouth on water fountain nozzles to drink and generally likes to lick random surfaces. So, she is on lock-down through this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIAwJeUJI0

We gave our 12Y.O. Punk a 24 hour internet timeout because he was being a dick when he was off the computer/switch/phone.
    It’s rocking his world.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    alternative is chopping up those and letting them sit in warm cooking oil for a day or two, then pour that down the holes.

We have mountain beavers (no, that's not an R. Crumb story) and deer that destroy saplings. I find that hot oil on the trunks and fronds keeps the deer off and the battle with the mountain beavers encroaching into the gardens has been won by pouring hot oil into their burrows.
    Had to google mountain beavers, because we have neither type.

We have one family we are letting socialization take place with. We spent the last weekend targhee was open camping/swimming/eating/skiing so that ship had sailed. We are BC skiing together a few times a week.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    Ha, I guess it could be worse then.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    ^^This. We let our kids hike and bike with friends. It's trickier when they want to hang out inside after hiking or biking. Previously we were allowing them to hang out inside with ONE friend if the other parents agree. Now that we are under new shelter in place guidelines as of yesterday, I guess they should not do that? But damn, they have both lost a lot to this and kept a pretty good attitude. If both families agree to the risk, should we let them hang out with one friend? We're talking teenagers who are smart enough to not swap germs like little kids do. I'm struggling with where to draw the line here.
    If it is a 100% closed loop, maybe. But if your friend has one other friend who has one other friend who has one other friend then you are just linking households together. Consider that maybe 20-30% of infected are asymptomatic. Especially the youth. You are just playing roulette.

Not sure about the weather where you are, but why not have them just hang out outside?

My kid is 8. No unsupervised in real life visits with others. We may try a fire road hike with some friends this week. Plays in the yard and on our court. Stays 6’ away from the neighbors kids but they will run around a bit some evenings. Been on cheeskid.com with friends and FaceTime or Zoom play dates.

The most responsible thing we can all do is keep our distance from anyone not in our household. Or a small closed loop. But that would almost mean having one shopper.

We tried to close loop with some friends but everyone else either had a first responder/ health professional or and elderly or compromised household member. So my only child gets very limited real kid time. It’s tough. But it’s better than being an active vector.

Stay safe. Headed into week three of lock down. At least my kid has school work. My sisters kids school is now optional. Wtf.

Coronavirus complaint/commiseration thread.

Worked an 11 hour day yesterday with my day job. My extended outdoor break was planting bulbs in the garden with my wife and one of the kids. Picked up a deer tick in my underarm as a result. Spot still is sore. Grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    If it is a 100% closed loop, maybe. But if your friend has one other friend who has one other friend who has one other friend then you are just linking households together. Consider that maybe 20-30% of infected are asymptomatic. Especially the youth. You are just playing roulette.

Not sure about the weather where you are, but why not have them just hang out outside?
    Yeah, we ultimately decided outside only. The kids seem ok with it. I have overall been impressed with how well they have adapted without complaining, though I do sometimes wonder how this experience will shape their worldview.

Last night I was watching some dumb movie on cable and the people were all partying and socializing and it looked so weird to me. Wow, look at that, they are close to each other and not afraid of catching a disease. Then I immediately realized that's an absurd thought. But also how quickly my mindset has changed. Normal socializing somehow seems like forever ago and it was only a few weeks.

Stay safe. Headed into week three of lock down. At least my kid has school work. My sisters kids school is now optional. Wtf.
    The WTF is understood...but the optional is probably because of the special education law FAPE....and in that district not all kids have access to a computer and/or internet access to do “distance learning”.

FAPE is special education law that says all kids have to have access to the same curriculum....so districts that have lower income families/students...or don’t have computers at home.....the districts can’t grade anything/therefore it’s optional....

It’s screwed up, but it’s a federal law. The district I’m in is going through it right now....a lot of push back....understandable....and will probably lead our district to providing computers to all students in the very near future....so this never happens again. (We are out for the unseeable future/and all work we are assigning is optional)....yikes.

Thanks for the ear advice that turned to mile and beaver advice that I might apply to my gopher issue that is separate than the rats. Rats chewed through a vent’s metal grate. Just trying to determine if they set up a nest inside before I seal it back up. Caught five so far this past week. Still more around I think. Have not located a beat inside. But we have shit every where cause that is what happens in ski season.

Gopher suck. I’ll try chili I’ll on them. Doubt that will work.

I picked up a tick Friday while on a nearby hike. Got it off before it burrowed. We hiked a less used trail cause all our normal spots close to home are now packed.

This is the beat my garden has looked in March by far. Usually my winter garden is over grown and nothing is being done for summer. Found the time to clean things up, prep and plant right on schedule. Even going to cycle in plants every three weeks for continuous harvest over months. Victory Garden.

Thanks for the ear advice that turned to mile and beaver advice that I might apply to my gopher issue that is separate than the rats. Rats chewed through a vent’s metal grate. Just trying to determine if they set up a nest inside before I seal it back up. Caught five so far this past week. Still more around I think. Have not located a beat inside. But we have shit every where cause that is what happens in ski season.

Gopher suck. I’ll try chili I’ll on them. Doubt that will work.

I picked up a tick Friday while on a nearby hike. Got it off before it burrowed. We hiked a less used trail cause all our normal spots close to home are now packed.

This is the beat my garden has looked in March by far. Usually my winter garden is over grown and nothing is being done for summer. Found the time to clean things up, prep and plant right on schedule. Even going to cycle in plants every three weeks for continuous harvest over months. Victory Garden.
    I found some weird tools hanging in my grandpa's barn and asked my uncle about it. It's an iron plate with a long spike you put in the ground next to a gopher hole. There's a sleeve that holds a 20ga shot shell and a trigger device connected to bait. When mr. gopher hits the bait, the shell goes off and the concussion - not the shot - kills the gopher and others within a certain radius. Can't imagine they sell such a device anymore, but unc said it worked great and had a lot of them.

Ha! I'm sure my neighbors would love it if shotgun shots went off a few times a day/week.

All the time around here

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    I found some weird tools hanging in my grandpa's barn and asked my uncle about it. It's an iron plate with a long spike you put in the ground next to a gopher hole. There's a sleeve that holds a 20ga shot shell and a trigger device connected to bait. When mr. gopher hits the bait, the shell goes off and the concussion - not the shot - kills the gopher and others within a certain radius. Can't imagine they sell such a device anymore, but unc said it worked great and had a lot of them.
    A friend of my dad's developed something similar, only it was a .410 shell that discharged horizontally when the varmint popped his head out of the hole. It didn't find a ready market...

Dad fashioned flexpipe from the lawnmower exhaust that ran into the holes. You then ran around filling up the other holes with exhaust gas coming out. No idea of its effectiveness.

Back on track, with an Anti-Complaint

A hair salon in our village (shut down as non-essential) has hired my wife to stand up a web store to sell their hair products on line. Normally that's a no-no, but given Covid issues, the brand has relented.
    As part of the deal she got a brand new n95 mask.

Uber rich landlord waited until today, the 30th, to cash my March rent check. Thanks, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah, we ultimately decided outside only. The kids seem ok with it. I have overall been impressed with how well they have adapted without complaining, though I do sometimes wonder how this experience will shape their worldview.

Last night I was watching some dumb movie on cable and the people were all partying and socializing and it looked so weird to me. Wow, look at that, they are close to each other and not afraid of catching a disease. Then I immediately realized that's an absurd thought. But also how quickly my mindset has changed. Normal socializing somehow seems like forever ago and it was only a few weeks.
    Agree, seeing people socialize on TV is disconcerting .... and, with more tube time, commercials are really freaky!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Uber rich landlord waited until today, the 30th, to cash my March rent check. Thanks, buddy.
    Fucking slumlord woody.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Fucking slumlord woody.
    I thought it was kind compared to last month where he saved up 2 months of checks and cashed them the last day of the month (while he was in quarantine). I'm still paying that one off.