Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

I would love an actual scientist/epidemiologist to explain to me how it is "impossible" that a highly contagious virus with a long incubation period was carried by international travelers from Europe/Asia directly to high end resort areas in the intermountain west in December.
    They wouldn't say it's impossible that some people had it, in the US, in December. But they would say it's impossible, in your own words: "nearly everyone I know....were all really sick" with Coronavirus.

We were all really sick with this cold EVERYWHERE, btw, Dec-February, not just the intermountain west. We didn't all have coronavirus, and we didn't all have the same thing.

Interesting to see how the numbers change after this weekend. Been flatlined here at 146 cases for like 8 or 9 days. I saw quite a few people "social distancing" aka playing cornhole and getting hammered in their yards with 8-10 friends/family yesterday. I'm sure I sound like some crotchety old man. Huge portion of my neighbors are still in their 20s. The idea of doing something mellow with roomates or SOs only on a sunny Satuday in May is out of the question at that age. I get it.

The other thought.......based purely on nothing but armchair mountain people tough guy science.....is that it blew through a huge portion of the population here already? Well before it was on anyone's radar and months before testing was available anywhere within 1000 miles.

Why is it that nearly everyone I know from all different types of jobs. Construction, banking, real estate, food service, etc were all really sick with the "craziest 3 week cold and dry cough they ever had" in Dec/Jan/Feb?

::::adjusts tinfoil hat:::::
    I was sick from Mid Jan thru first week of Feb. Cold like symptoms that went from sinuses to chest. Only put me down for 2 days, no pain, no fever. I would love to be tested (my wife would like me tested too..ba dum tish) but I bet it was just a standard virus and not the novel COVID-19

The last I heard there's 30 mutations of COVID-19 now

My sisters been a nurse for over 35 years, they're learning each and every week how this one acts different

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yup. The ranger told me some drove two hours to get there. I didnt realize it was the only game in town.

I hike up on Pine mountain, and that's turning into a shitshow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Good to know. I almost went out of my way yesterday to go by the Lewisboro Town Park just to see if it was open for parking. Going by the Pound Ridge town park, it was open. Mt. Lakes park is accessible.

Our local preserve has been over run the last few weeks by persons not normally disposed to hiking or other outdoor activities. The amount of trash they leave on the trails and in the parking lot is disgusting.
    I heard that PR Town Park closed early afternoon yesterday when it got swamped with people. If you guys want some suggestions for super quiet local spots let me know.

I had something for maybe 3 days, not very bad, no fever ... obviuosly not Covid

but i get something every year

so it was the something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    They wouldn't say it's impossible that some people had it, in the US, in December. But they would say it's impossible, in your own words: "nearly everyone I know....were all really sick" with Coronavirus.

We were all really sick with this cold EVERYWHERE, btw, Dec-February, not just the intermountain west. We didn't all have coronavirus, and we didn't all have the same thing.
    I'm sure most of the sick people around that time did have just a regular flu, cold, bronchitis. I just think it's odd that some people seem to be staunchly against the idea that it was here already in December.

Selfishly I wish I was tested for the Flu back when I was sick. I find it odd that whatever this particular thing was has left my lungs fucked up. Like 3+ months later. I am in the best shape of my life and take care of my body better than ever. I still have lung tightness, and a dry cough. I have never had anything like this before that left lasting effects months later.

I am leery of antibody testing because I keep hearing that they are still very inaccurate. I'm not about to go to a doctor unless this breathing stuff gets worse. At the moment I am gonna assume I had it, and that this lung issue is the long lasting after effect. That I will get better and that I still should operate as though I haven't had it and/or that I could still transmit it to someone else.

OR I am just coincidentally now getting lung cancer after treating my body like shit from age 17-27. Lol.

I'm sure most of the sick people around that time did have just a regular flu, cold, bronchitis. I just think it's odd that some people seem to be staunchly against the idea that it was here already in December.

Selfishly I wish I was tested for the Flu back when I was sick.
    Kind of curious, did you get a flu shot in the fall? How about the other people you know who got ill with flu-like symptoms, any idea if they had gotten flu shots?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Kind of curious, did you get a flu shot in the fall? How about the other people you know who got ill with flu-like symptoms, any idea if they had gotten flu shots?
    No flu shot for the past few years. No good reason for that besides that I used to get them free at my old job on the east coast right in the office. I don't really know why the doctor didn't flu test me Dec/Jan or even ask me if I had a flu shot. She gave me a strep test.

The only person I know of who went to the doctor was a co-worker. He was diagnosed flu. Then he got better and almost came back to work and then got slammed again even harder and went to the ER and they diagnosed pneumonia. Almost like two separate sicknesses. His GF was sick too. Both work in YC.

Did I have the flu? I guess that's most likely. The part that doesn't sit right with me is that it didn't really feel like the flu at all, lasted 3+ weeks, and has left me with lung problems 3 months later. I have never heard of any of the flu strains causing that kind of lasting lung issue. I guess I'll never really know.

I got the flu years ago. Got a flu shot every year after that and never got it again. I got my shot for you if that makes sense to you. If it doesn't make sense I'd suggest a bigger hat. Your Stetson is too tight
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Did I have the flu? I guess that's most likely. The part that doesn't sit right with me is that it didn't really feel like the flu at all, lasted 3+ weeks, and has left me with lung problems 3 months later. I have never heard of any of the flu strains causing that kind of lasting lung issue. I guess I'll never really know.
    I'm no doctor, but you can get bronchitis from the flu virus according to google, so that's a possibility you had both. And get the fucking flu shot!

The only person I know of who went to the doctor was a co-worker. He was diagnosed flu. Then he got better and almost came back to work and then got slammed again even harder and went to the ER and they diagnosed pneumonia. Almost like two separate sicknesses. His GF was sick too. Both work in YC.
    Almost like two separate sicknesses? What are you implying?

"Fighting the flu can require all a person’s immune system has to offer, often weakening the body and making the already ill individual more susceptible to acquiring other infections. Pneumonia is the most common complication of the flu – and perhaps one of the most serious."

I got a flu shot a few years back don't rmember anything bad or good in particular from it,

cuz I'm type II it was free so i lined up with a couple of home less guys to get it

I am planning on getting the flu shot next time
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I got the flu years ago. Got a flu shot every year after that and never got it again. I got my shot for you if that makes sense to you. If it doesn't make sense I'd suggest a bigger hat. Your Stetson is too tight
    I had the flu once, really bad as a kid, no hospital, though I suppose with 2 working parents they mightve made some rash decisions (latchkey kid here). Lasted like 3 weeks as I recall, varying degrees and went in "waves" over the 3 weeks.

Never got a flu shot before, and never have since. Could be just luck, could be something else? Who knows.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Knock on my wood, never get flu shots nor the flu. Pretty sure cask strength Highland Park kills the flu. Gargle and then swallow at the first sign of a sore throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Knock on my wood, never get flu shots nor the flu. Pretty sure cask strength Highland Park kills the flu. Gargle and then swallow at the first sign of a sore throat.
    Hmm. You might be on to something. WHO should seriously investigate that treatment. Works wonders for me too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

A lot of people in Missoula seem to have decided that social distancing is no longer a thing. If they were even doing it before. Seems like most under 25 have not.
    Get the fuck away from me.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

No flu shot for the past few years. No good reason for that besides that I used to get them free at my old job on the east coast right in the office. I don't really know why the doctor didn't flu test me Dec/Jan or even ask me if I had a flu shot. She gave me a strep test.

This is the reason that I don't think you had COVID-19 in January: because wherever you live didn't have hospitals or death rates that looked like the hospitals and death rates in Lombardy Italy in late March a few weeks after you had what you think (or hope) was COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    This is the reason that I don't think you had COVID-19 in January: because wherever you live didn't have hospitals or death rates that looked like the hospitals and death rates in Lombardy Italy in late March a few weeks after you had what you think (or hope) was COVID-19.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    This is how I tend to feel about these claims in terms of thinking logically. On the other hand, it's difficult to deny personal experience. Early to mid January I skied and hungout with several people. One of them works for Apple and people on his team routinely go to China and back. A few days later we all got sick with corona-like symptoms. One of them went to the hospital with respiratory issues and tested negative for flu A and B. So... I'm conflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is how I tend to feel about these claims in terms of thinking logically. On the other hand, it's difficult to deny personal experience. Early to mid January I skied and hungout with several people. One of them works for Apple and people on his team routinely go to China and back. A few days later we all got sick with corona-like symptoms. One of them went to the hospital with respiratory issues and tested negative for flu A and B. So... I'm conflicted.
    Can't wait until those antibody tests become readily available! Lots of us wondering the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Can't wait until those antibody tests become readily available! Lots of us wondering the same things.
    Right - if a reliable test ever happens, of course. I mean, it does make sense that it would come to California first considering SFO and LAX are the two main hubs in the US for flights to China and back. But who knows... maybe we had some other weird virus, but even before Corona was really on my radar the experience struck me as odd / unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Hmmmm temperature 101.4, dry cough for 2 days, sore lung on left side 4 days, headache, some shortness of breath 2 days, loss of appetite.

I hav almost no contact with others as I am non weight bearing due to a tibial plateau fracture. Wife is a nurse at a local hospital, but no symptoms. Stepson is a captain on a small ferry. Neither has had any known contact with positive cases although there were a number at wife’s hospital. Another captain had a presumptive case n March, but no contact during time.

Thinking to let it ride another day and see if there is improvement.
    How did the last couple days treat you? Check in man!

Sorry should have. Coughing up blood Saturday morning went in to emergency room. CT scan showed partial (small) collapse to lung and infection in both. Also had plural diffusion (fluid between lung and chest cavity). Received IV antibiotics. Vitals were so so. Heart rate 101, oxygen 94%, elevated bp, generally felt like poo. Doctor was on fence about admitting me. Went home with more antibiotics with promise if there was any worsening to return immediately. Diagnosis of pneumonia. Feeling bit better today. Funny thing is no Coronavirus test because under 65, no underlying health issues and not admitted-hospital policy. Symptoms all lined up, but guess they overlap. I could go to an outpatient facility for a test, but if I continue to improve I will take that as confirmation of no Coronavirus. Thanks for checking in jono

Damn, cat. Glad to read you're improving.

Apparently there is a far more reliable antibody test being developed now with >99% accuracy both ways. Read about it somewhere yesterday. I’ll see if I can find it later when I have a computer.

I was sick with something weird back in Feb. I live part time in an area that was an early hot spot too. Who knows. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking.

Wife was going to get an antibody test for work but they stopped wasting money on it because one girl in the office who definitely had the Covid tested negative.

Anyone can get antibody testing from quest lab.
    Doctors note and $119.

Damn cat. Sorry to hear that.
    Be strong. You got this.
    . . .

You don't even need a doctor's note for a Quest antibody test if you're willing to pay for it yourself, you can just order it here: https://questdirect.questdiagnostics...b-7bad949dcb57