Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1547
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I have never used Airbnb. On my Spain trip I budgeted for decent hotels. It was a conscious decision and I had to put away extra cash for it.
    A kitchen really reduces your travel costs. A real kitchen.

If it weren't for people willing to borrow money to invest in rental properties, all those people who can't afford to buy a house or just don't want to --that's about a third of the population--would have no place to live. And in most resort areas, were it not for STR's, there would not be nearly enough beds to meet demand. Which may sound like a good thing if you're a local, except that if it weren't for those STR's bringing in visitors you wouldn't be a local because there would be no work. Landlords meet a need; whether they do it well or badly is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If it weren't for people willing to borrow money to invest in rental properties, all those people who can't afford to buy a house or just don't want to --that's about a third of the population--would have no place to live. And in most resort areas, were it not for STR's, there would not be nearly enough beds to meet demand. Which may sound like a good thing if you're a local, except that if it weren't for those STR's bringing in visitors you wouldn't be a local because there would be no work. Landlords meet a need; whether they do it well or badly is another story.
    Yep, exactly. People like to just have an easy target (landlords and STR services) and conveniently ignore this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    My 6 year old told my wife she is afraid that mom and dad will die of the virus. But she knows we are not over 65 so it probably won't happen to us, but she knows her grandparents will probably die because of it as they are really old but she doesn't want them to die. She is also afraid she will never see her friends again. She doesn't know when this will all end, so she asked my wife, when will it? When can I see my friends?

We have been hiding her from all this bullshit and also making sure we don't talk candidly about the virus in a neighboring room to protect her. But when Mom leaves the kids in the car for 5 minutes to go to a store with a mask on, how can she not understand things are fucked up? When Nana visits only the backyard, and the kid is told not to get within 6 feet, how does she not know why? Why did her Disneyland trip with her grandparents get cancelled? Why did school stop? Why can't she go to the store with dad anymore? Why can't she go to playgrounds? Why can't I have a dumb kid that can't put 2 and 2 together when we give her vague answers to tough questions, you know - like an average republican boomer who can't see past his nose?

Yeah, we told her some non-specific info on why we are alone at home for months and why you can't hug Nana. We tried. Wife is a therapist who works with troubled kids, she knows how to not stress out kids and how to talk to them. Maybe we shoulda lied more. What do you do?
    My oldest is 5 and we've tried to be as candid as possible without scaring her. But we got about a month's worth of questions about why the Legoland trip with her grandparents got canceled. Last night, at bed time, she asked me how long it would be before we could go places and she could see her friends again. What could I tell her except that I don't know for sure and that I will let her know as soon as I have a firm idea?

The changes to routine are so obvious that I'm not sure if it matters how candid we are. Kids this age know that something is quite off, and they're curious enough to think things through and want answers.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    My oldest is 5 and we've tried to be as candid as possible without scaring her. But we got about a month's worth of questions about why the Legoland trip with her grandparents got canceled. Last night, at bed time, she asked me how long it would be before we could go places and she could see her friends again. What could I tell her except that I don't know for sure and that I will let her know as soon as I have a firm idea?

The changes to routine are so obvious that I'm not sure if it matters how candid we are. Kids this age know that something is quite off, and they're curious enough to think things through and want answers.

I told my 5 year old everything, just left out the death part and changed it to “people getting really sick”

She is already wearing a mask and sees them everywhere, caution tape around the playground, teachers at her day care masked and gloved all day, excessive hand washing until she’s crying her hands are raw.

They get it, these kiddos aren’t dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That sucks. It’s like ww2 in England with kids hiding in bomb shelters. Or USA kids in the fifties ducking and covering.

My kids are tweens. But I am trying to get them to open up and discuss the new normal. And their new feelings.
    Shits crazy.
    . . .

Or like in the US now doing active shooter drills... pretty fucked up.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I told my 5 year old everything, just left out the death part and changed it to “people getting really sick”

She is already wearing a mask and sees them everywhere, caution tape around the playground, teachers at her day care masked and gloved all day, excessive hand washing until she’s crying her hands are raw.

They get it, these kiddos aren’t dumb.

It sucks, man. If this had happened 6 or 7 years ago, my wife and I would've been happy to ride the whole pandemic out by drinking way too much, working from home, riding mountain bikes, binge watching crap tv, and screwing. That's all I was really good at in my 20s anyways.

Trying to maintain a semblance of normalcy for my 5 year old is hard. Her reading has taken a step back, though I'm not worried about her ability to keep up in kindergarten next year. She also seems more nervous and emotionally fragile. It's tough to know what to do.

I'll buy you a beer and commiserate out on the ski hill next spring, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    A kitchen really reduces your travel costs. A real kitchen.
    Sometimes. And, in this case, eating out was part of the experience, so again, it was planned for.

It sucks, man. If this had happened 6 or 7 years ago, my wife and I would've been happy to ride the whole pandemic out by drinking way too much, working from home, riding mountain bikes, binge watching crap tv, and screwing. That's all I was really good at in my 20s anyways.

Trying to maintain a semblance of normalcy for my 5 year old is hard. Her reading has taken a step back, though I'm not worried about her ability to keep up in kindergarten next year. She also seems more nervous and emotionally fragile. It's tough to know what to do.

I'll buy you a beer and commiserate out on the ski hill next spring, hopefully.

Same. The silver lining I guess is when she goes to kindergarten whatever changes are implemented for schools will just be normal to her since they had no prior school experience (except pre-school) to know the difference.

Emotions are high, I had some dad guilt and got her a swing set. It’s been helpful since all playgrounds have been closed since early March.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	328578

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Sometimes. And, in this case, eating out was part of the experience, so again, it was planned for.
    Shit... when I travel internationally, the *primary* reason is to eat good, local food.

Re-reading my drunken post is quite confusing to me. What we told her was what Ak47 said: everything but death but she figured out death or heard it somehow despite us being careful. That’s what got me, she figured out the death part, we did tell her COVID is the cause of everything and is getting people really sick. I think on one of her zoom calls a friend told her about the death factor, sigh.

Anyways, sorry man it’s a tough time to be a parent with young kids. We are fucking winging it as parents and a hug and a kiss can’t make them feel better like it does for most things.

Is it too much to ask for a state or federal government to genuinely approach this as having different viewpoints but being on the same side rather than absolute pyrrhic warfare?

Fuck, it’s just so depressing....
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Is it too much to ask for a state or federal government to genuinely approach this as having different viewpoints but being on the same side rather than absolute pyrrhic warfare?

Fuck, it’s just so depressing....
    Yes. It’s too much to ask.

Trump is already planting the fake death count and voter fraud (due to more mail in ballots) seeds to cash in on soon for his sheep to eat.

Psssst! All the mail in ballots have been licked by the liberated protestors!

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That sucks. It’s like ww2 in England with kids hiding in bomb shelters. Or USA kids in the fifties ducking and covering.

My kids are tweens. But I am trying to get them to open up and discuss the new normal. And their new feelings.
    Shits crazy.
    actualy what happened in the battle of Britain is the younger ones like my aunt were farmed out to the country but those coming of age like my dad and uncle bob stayed to fight, they would be out all night putting out firebombs with garden spades and garbage can lids, then shipping out to war, that was real shit and he never talked about any of the war

ducking & covering was not real shit
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-14-2020 at 10:45 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    actualy what happened in the battle of Britain is the younger ones like my aunt were farmed out to the country but those coming of age like my dad and uncle bob stayed to fight, they would be out all night putting out firebombs with garden spades and garbage can lids, that was real shit and he never talked about any of the war

ducking & covering was not real shit
    Fully agree they are not the same.

The duck and cover reference was about psychological warfare.
    Kids being made to live in fear.
    Much like today with everyone in masks. No more hugs etc.

Battle of Britain was real physical hell. As well as emotional
    . . .

Fully agree they are not the same.

The duck and cover reference was about psychological warfare.
    Kids being made to live in fear.
    Much like today with everyone in masks. No more hugs etc.

Battle of Britain was real physical hell. As well as emotional
    You and your kids need to harden the fuck up.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    my pots farmer bro and his biologist wife who coincidently studies and does a lot of work on us bat populations living in slt ca sent me this the other day

sums er up good
    my hopes are for them
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Debt does not work for me. Whether it involves RE, or autos., boats, toys, education or anything else, I prefer to buy with cash. If I can't pay for something, then I do without. My fiscal philosophy may not be right for everyone, but that is the way I roll. I know nothing about the circumvention of laws, taxes and/or regs., but I am not in the camp of buying with a mortgage , and using personal funds to invest in the market in the hopes of realizing a greater rate of return. Too much risk for my taste, whereas investment in RE carries minimal risk. Sure, liquidity may be an issue, but that's why we have nest eggs. I just don't buy into the notion that it is wise to "buy" with debt, because the money can make you more money (ROI) if invested elsewhere.
    Personal choices.
    I had a 4th grade gym teacher* tell us to never buy a car on credit. What prompted that I have no idea, but it's good advice.
    Taking out a mortgage makes sense to me though, because you need a place to live and you're going to have that monthly payment regardless.

*The guy played basketball on the Washington Generals--the team paid to lose to the Harlem Globetrotters. The Generals won one night and the whole team was fired.

My kid is smart about debt. He has none--went to med school on the DOD dime--but his wife is in osteopath school and has huge debts. We helped pay off the debts; their wedding was a 5 minute ceremony in a blizzard on our deck attended by the 4 parents, with her mom officiating. They hope to have a big party, when they can afford it. We were lucky that our kids went to public college and that we are well off enough to pay for it. The burden of college debt in this country is a disgrace. (We seem to have a lot of disgraces, don't we?)
    Last edited by old goat; 05-15-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Complaint.

My Mother is in a bad way again, and I can’t visit, probably never will be able to visit.

Vibes to everyone in a similar situation.

Not letting us visit the seriously ill is one of the stupider restrictions during the pandemic. I don't think the risk of allowing limited visiting is more than the emotional damage. IME not allowing visitors also harms the quality of medical care. My wife broke her ankle a month ago, was in the ER heavily medicated and trying to make decisions with no one with her to help out, and no way to remember what was said to her. Then a couple of nights ago we was gravely ill with what turned out to be pneumonia--not Covid--and alone in the ER too addled to give coherent information. The phone isn't good enough. The first time the docs didn't talk to me and I had to keep calling to try and advise and understand what was going on. The second time the doc was very good about calling, but when the family is not there it's too easy for the docs to forget about them. We got lucky the second time--our son is doing a rotation at the hospital she's in and has visited her daily, which of course he's not supposed to do. And she's doing much better--maybe home today--but she gave us a very serious scare.

I'm sorry about your mom. I hope you're wrong about never being able to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You recycle?
    Not if I don't get my money. Gonna dump it all in the ocean and along the highway. That will teach the State to fuck with the People. I want Revolution. While everyone is SIP. A safe Revolution! Please do not attack without a mask, thank you.

Fucking pig thinks he a constitutional scholar as soon as white people start feeling like they can't run while white.

Seriously, good thing this cop got fired. He actually thinks he gets to decide which laws to enforce and which ones to ignore. It don't work that way.

Interesting cop Coronavirus rant

Unless wings and baseball are more important.

I guess he got a million views.

And fired.

Smart teacher ^^ OG

I bought 2 VW's on credit only 10% down but I had a business need/expenses/ the ability to do CCA, as soon as i retired I wrote a cheque for what was left owing

Mortgage makes sense but not all the time in every market, i've always been lucky enough to be buying at the right time in the market cycles but I had to wait 5 yrs to buy this place after you folks shit the bed in the great 07 credit swap crisis which stopped the bubble/brought prices down to where I could afford to get back in and buy a house as a ski gentleman without no job

between job losses/ loss of HC/ complete ctl-alt-del of the world I think some people are really gona get hurt on the bubble this pandemic will create and we don't know how/what Covid is going to do next so its not over
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Shit... when I travel internationally, the *primary* reason is to eat good, local food.
    Exactly. However, Bunny's a local. So if he has a kitchen, he's G2G for good, local food. No need for people who actually know the local food.