Page 1 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Coronavirus complaint/commiseration thread.

This stay-at-home thing isn't going to end in two weeks, or probably even two months. I assume everyone is as depressed as I am about this?

Right now, besides the fact that I love my kids (4 and 6) but they are driving me absolutely crazy, my two biggest complaints are:

1. No live music. And everything this summer will likely be cancelled as well. I've always known that this was important to me but already missing multiple scheduled shows has proven to me that outside of doing outdoor stuff, this has always been one of the things that made me happy/kept me sane.

2. Just absolute despair that so many of the things that I love about my town are not going to survive this. There is absolutely no way that all of the breweries/coffee shops/restaurants that are part of daily life are coming back. And all of the people who work at those places, whether they knew my name or just my order...what the fuck are they doing right now? Will some of these places come back, with the employees I know? Sure. But not all. Other than getting take-out and tipping like 50% at every opportunity this makes me feel completely helpless and I can hardly drive through town without wanting to just drive my truck off a cliff.

I have never hoped that spring weather comes more than I do right now, either. Anyways. That's all I got for now. Hope everyone is holding up. Sorry for whining.

between the stock market crash, oil market crash, a likley RE crash, mass lockdown with inability to work

its the end of the world as we know it

who can say how the new world will look ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Turn off the TV, don't look at news, especially Trump.
    Be cautious, don't panic, and get out side and walk or something
    This will pass in a couple of months, unless the "red hatters" all get sick and pass it around

Rootskier, I feel you mang. I am really struggling myself.

And I too am praying for spring weather like never before. Because if it's cold and wet and the paths and trails are muddy for the next 2 months I'm gonna freak.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

At least for the last week since we've been under the stay at home order the trails have been in spectacular shape. We're not supposed to go out unless necessary but we are being encouraged to go out and exercise so I've been going to ride. Now they're talking about a complete quarantine for the area and I'm afraid that it will be grocery and that's it, possibly not even riding around the neighborhood. I'm gonna go nutz, all day every day with the wife and kids. I dunno if I can do it for weeks or months. I'm going to be out riding my bike at 1am just to get out of the house and see the world doing it's spring thing.

Outside of covering a few field operations I haven’t had any intimate contact with a person in about two weeks. It’s definitely starting to get to me.

Being alone has never bothered me before and often times I seek it out. But being cut off from society, while in the middle of society, is fucking weird.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Outside of covering a few field operations I haven’t had any intimate contact with a person in about two weeks. It’s definitely starting to get to me.

Being alone has never bothered me before and often times I seek it out. But being cut off from society, while in the middle of society, is fucking weird.
    It has been interesting to talk to others. Our regular crew--basically all with young kids--is going mad because while great to spend time with kids, it quickly gets overwhelming. Then there are the couples with no kids. That is who I am jealous of right now, thinking of all the stuff I could get done in and around the house if I had the freedom to do it. Then there are those who live alone. That seems rugged AF right now. Good luck, man.

I sometimes get a disoriented feeling--not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing, had a really strong deja vu yesterday--something I'm pretty sure never happened but felt like it had.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    It has been interesting to talk to others. Our regular crew--basically all with young kids--is going mad because while great to spend time with kids, it quickly gets overwhelming. Then there are the couples with no kids. That is who I am jealous of right now, thinking of all the stuff I could get done in and around the house if I had the freedom to do it. Then there are those who live alone. That seems rugged AF right now. Good luck, man.
    As someone who has a kid and can't see her and a partner who can't see hers I'd tell you to fuck right off but I won't and I'll just tell you to try to enjoy having your kids around. Our kids are across town so we get to see them on a regular schedule which is all fucked up right now. This shit sucks for everyone.

Just absolute despair that so many of the things that I love about my town are not going to survive this. There is absolutely no way that all of the breweries/coffee shops/restaurants that are part of daily life are coming back. And all of the people who work at those places, whether they knew my name or just my order...what the fuck are they doing right now? Will some of these places come back, with the employees I know? Sure. But not all. Other than getting take-out and tipping like 50% at every opportunity this makes me feel completely helpless and I can hardly drive through town without wanting to just drive my truck off a cliff.
    So much this.

I have friends who own a food truck. They don't have rich parents or lucrative day jobs. I'm worried about them, and the multiple other trucks that are the owners' sole livelihood. Same with the few good restaurants, like the pho husband and wife team, and only good Korean that's basically a one woman show. Plus the dozen breweries in this town (more if you include the county), and the more than a dozen bikes stores. and, and, and...

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    As someone who has a kid and can't see her and a partner who can't see hers I'd tell you to fuck right off but I won't and I'll just tell you to try to enjoy having your kids around. Our kids are across town so we get to see them on a regular schedule which is all fucked up right now. This shit sucks for everyone.
    Man, that sucks. Are you fully cut off from your kids right now? That is wild. It seems the risk of going back and forth between parents would be worth it right now, unless one side of the family works in health care or something else that is subject to more than usual exposure? This thread is not about trying to demean anyone's experience. Sorry for coming across that way.

Also, my brother-in-law is an ER doc. I forgot about that because I have been trying to block it out of my mind. I ski and bike with him all the time, and sometimes other ER docs. Fuck. I also have tons of friends who are nurses and a few who are firefighters. Some of the latter post here regularly. Fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    So much this.

I have friends who own a food truck. They don't have rich parents or lucrative day jobs. I'm worried about them, and the multiple other trucks that are the owners' sole livelihood. Same with the few good restaurants, like the pho husband and wife team, and only good Korean that's basically a one woman show. Plus the dozen breweries in this town (more if you include the county), and the more than a dozen bikes stores. and, and, and...
    If the money Congress promised shows up on time so they can pay rent and utilities and food (some probably have more than enough food from the business) I would hope a lot of small businesses can reopen fairly quickly once the danger has passed, depending on how long the danger lasts. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Assuming it does pass convincingly I think there's going to be a lot of pent up buying and going out by the people who have money, which will get the rest back to work. I keep telling myself.

Man, that sucks. Are you fully cut off from your kids right now? That is wild. It seems the risk of going back and forth between parents would be worth it right now, unless one side of the family works in health care or something else that is subject to more than usual exposure?

My brother in law is an ER doc. I forgot about that because I have been trying to block it out of my mind. I ski and bike with him and other local ER docs all the time. Fuck.
    We can FaceTime and stuff but frankly FaceTiming with an 8 year old isn't quality time. One of my partner's kids has pretty bad asthma and her ex's mother (older) lives with them so her kids wouldn't be coming over until we're sure we're ok (we've been working so exposure risk is low but it's lower at her ex's house). I was waiting a little longer since we were out of town (more exposure than I was comfortable with) and my ex and her family had been pretty well locked down and her and her husband can wfh. At this point it just seems safer plus my kid can help out with my ex's 2 year old and keep her out of their hair while they work.

We're probably being overly cautious but the other parents have had way less exposure and although I'm not totally freaked out I am worried and switching houses would expose us all instead of our current setup.

@ goat, I hope you're right, but fear that this will be devastating to many/most small people and a win for chains/big corps.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    We can FaceTime and stuff but frankly FaceTiming with an 8 year old isn't quality time. One of my partner's kids has pretty bad asthma and her ex's mother (older) lives with them so her kids wouldn't be coming over until we're sure we're ok (we've been working so exposure risk is low but it's lower at her ex's house). I was waiting a little longer since we were out of town (more exposure than I was comfortable with) and my ex and her family had been pretty well locked down and her and her husband can wfh. At this point it just seems safer plus my kid can help out with my ex's 2 year old and keep her out of their hair while they work.
    I'm sorry to hear that, man. Sounds tough.

I'm in the same boat as Root, except our kids are 2 and 4. The 4 - almost 5 - year old is a strong skier, so I try to get out with her on the Nordic gear. But the 2 year old is too floppy on anything less than groomed snow and Alpine equipment.

I was WFH full time for 3 years and had just taken my desk apart after having a cube again for the past 6 months. I'm trying to set my desk back up, but it's kind of a nightmare. I switched industries and went to work for a big hospital group last year, so it's not like I get any mental escape from the lack of normalcy while I'm at work. I'm just sitting there and tracking numbers while a belligerent toddler yells at the top of her lungs.

Neither my wife nor I are scared for our jobs in the near future, and we can both WFH. So we will be okay. But I've got buddies working in hospitality or for the local ski resorts who are getting laid off or watching their small businesses get hammered. And we are just getting started. Even if we can get e.g. schools reopened in the fall, there is no way the tourist trade rebounds by next winter. A lot of local businesses are going to be hosed. It's kind of gut-wrenching. And it sucks to know that this is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Root, except our kids are 2 and 4. The 4 - almost 5 - year old is a strong skier, so I try to get out with her on the Nordic gear. But the 2 year old is too floppy on anything less than groomed snow and Alpine equipment.
    Last year, our now 6-year-old got like 30 days in. This year, with a later and shittier start to winter, he got two days before he broke the fuck out of his arm on a bouncy-house slide, so that was it. We were just getting ready to get back out before this all went down. Ruined everyone's ski season at Casa Rootskier. I especially feel bad for the 4-year-old who we should have gotten out more on skis this year before all this went down.

Feeling that. Got a few days w the 14 yr old at New Years, but that’s it. Was really hoping for another week solid somewhere w her since the teen years are coming on strong and won’t have many opportunities left for kid ski trips

Beaches closed, local State Parks with trails closed.... going bonkers with my two favorite things to do unavailable. Trying not to eat all of my food hoard this week.

I was supposed to be slope side in Snowmass tomorrow.

Yeah, shit sucks.

I saw the quarantine coming weeks before so many people woke up. Somehow I was so focused on going to lockdown that I never even gave the long-term outlook a thought. I've come realize that shit will suck for at least six months and much longer for some communities.

From a doomsday worse case scenario my biggest concern is going to be if crime, drug/alcohol abuse, theft and robbery just gets out of control in the cities.

Also, the mental health issues that come out of this are going to really mess with people for at least the next year (parental/family loss, job loss, etc). That's why the above doomsday scenario could be what really happens.

Last year, our now 6-year-old got like 30 days in. This year, with a later and shittier start to winter, he got two days before he broke the fuck out of his arm on a bouncy-house slide, so that was it. We were just getting ready to get back out before this all went down. Ruined everyone's ski season at Casa Rootskier. I especially feel bad for the 4-year-old who we should have gotten out more on skis this year before all this went down.
    Aww man. That sucks. Fucking bouncy castles. I'm always amazed that there aren't more injuries.

I feel the same way with our 2 year old. With a little nugget like that, spring is really the time to get a few turns in. The kid is a little older, the weather tends to be milder, etc. We had hoped to have her linking real turns and starting to put things together this March and April. I guess a lot of kids are just going to be behind on all kinds of shit compared to the counterfactual where the plague wasn't going around. It's just a fucking bummer.

I survived what may have been my last, shitty, Midwest winter. I was looking forward to seeing the sun, and swimming outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Yeah, shit sucks.

I saw the quarantine coming weeks before so many people woke up. Somehow I was so focused on going to lockdown that I never even gave the long-term outlook a thought. I've come realize that shit will suck for at least six months and much longer for some communities.

From a doomsday worse case scenario my biggest concern is going to be if crime, drug/alcohol abuse, theft and robbery just gets out of control in the cities.

Also, the mental health issues that come out of this are going to really mess with people for at least the next year (parental/family loss, job loss, etc). That's why the above doomsday scenario could be what really happens.
    The people buying guns may be the ones spreading the virus now.. guns shops are considered necessary for some reason..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

No little league for son, that sucks...kids can't hang out together either...but xbox time going through the roof.